• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding and FX8320

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
Is there any way to set a flag so the CPU can get a WU or are there just none out there anymore? I have a slot for CPU but it just sits there waiting to download.

I know it is not a lot of points, but I have 7 cores that could be working.

Is there any way to set a flag so the CPU can get a WU or are there just none out there anymore? I have a slot for CPU but it just sits there waiting to download.

I know it is not a lot of points, but I have 7 cores that could be working.

Set your core count to 6, the client does not like odd number cores for folding.

I'm running the 7.4.4 client on my FX machine. I just changed the CPU from 7 to 6. However... (edit coming)

FX8320.png

My i3 Media PC is also running 7.4.4 client and the CPU, which was auto-set to 3, is getting WU's for the CPU. Is the FX looking for different WU's because of the 6-7 slots vs 3 slots?

i3_2120.png

Last edited:
I'm using both 7.4.4 and 7.4.15 and I am folding on the CPU with both. I don't know if you tried this but reboot and see if the CPU starts. I do know when I install with odd number cores because the GPU needs 1 core, the CPU hangs like yours is now but after I set the cores to 6, everything is happy. Why yours is being a stick in the mud, I don't know.:shrug:

I have 7.4.4 and a large chunk of my CPU's are always waiting for download. I couldn't say why and because CPUs earn so little, I don't really care. I have found that when I reboot, sometimes they will pick up and start working.

It looks like your second picture has a Core 0x21 for the CPU...I thought Core 0x21 was only for GPU?

I must have highlighted the GPU instead of the CPU on that screenshot, JR. I was just illustrating that the CPU was receiving WUs and folding.

I'll reboot the FX machine when I get home & we'll see what happens. Thanks for the input guys.

Should I pause the client, exit F@H, or just reboot with it running?

Delete the CPU slot and then save it. Reopen the config add CPU back and set it to 6 cores. This should immediately download a new work unit. FAH does not like odd number of cores 7 or greater.

Update, the FX started folding on 6 cores after a restart, but I had to set it to Finish due to heat upstairs in the house. The entire machine is off for now. Hopefully I'll be able to get it back on soon, just too hot right now.

Not all odd numbers. 3 is still ok; 5 gets difficult too.
But the best thing is to install 7.4.16 as open beta version. You can then keep the CPU slot on 7 and during the assignment process the backend server and client negotiate on a lower, but fitting CPU size. Works quite well.
E.g you set on CPU:32 but might get "only" CPU:27 assigned.

Oh, could you upload your logfiles to the write-only Dropbox mentioned on ppd.fahmm.net; looks like AMD hardware which is quite underrepresented in the data pool.

Back