• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your father is right. RAID divides the data equally. Since you can't get 500 GB on a 250 GB HDD, you get two "250" GB drives.

Yes, you should be able to use the cable to wipe the drives from another computer.

Oh dang, i didnt know that. So running two 500 drives doesnt equal 1000 gbs total?

Okay thanks

Ok fair enough. Now here comes the questions about raid.

My father remembers that when you run two different size drives in raid, the will become the smallest size. like if you run a 500 and a 250 together, you will only have a total of 250 when running them in raid.

I am pretty sure it doesnt work like that and if you run the 500 and 250 together in raid you will have a total of 750 gbs. But i am not 100% sure.

And would that cable work for wiping those drives?
That's raid set to JBOD. JBOD is 'just a bunch of disks'.

If you are running a 500gb and a 250gb in raid 0 you will have a total capacity of 500gb as each disk will contribute 250gb to the raid.

Okay so two 750gb drives would equal 1.25 tbs of drive?

I only know about raid 0,1,5....

Never heard of JBOD. then again i never researched it...

Thanks for explaining that better than I did. :thup:
Someone has to save the masses from your thoughts! [emoji14]
Okay so two 750gb drives would equal 1.25 tbs of drive?

I only know about raid 0,1,5....

Never heard of JBOD. then again i never researched it...
Depends on the raid setting:

Raid 0: ~1.5TB
Raid 1: 750GB
Raid greater than 1: not capable, need more drives

So how do i work Bleachbit? Do i just click every box and then clean? or do i have to go into preferences and add the drive i want to wipe?

IT doesnt seem to wipe a drive though, just the info in windows. right?

Last edited:
So i have to go to preferences>drives>add the drive i want, for example drive G:> then click all the boxes? or am i missing a step or something?

Sounds right. You just want to make sure it only wipes the specified drive. BleachBit is the preferred drive cleaner of the DNC for a reason. It works. LOL

okay well i get the connector on sunday so ill give it a shot then. thanks for the help.

Well you guys a doing a great job at it. So since the questions are so random here, i have another. here is my case and how i plan to set it up come wednesday night.

InkedIMG_20170324_211136681_LI.jpg

Now here is my question, looks aside, is this a practical place to put my drive cage since i dont have the room inside the case? And would the fan on the far left be doing anything since the cage in on top of it? I know it aint pretty but we have gone way past that point...

I know it aint pretty but we have gone way past that point...

I'll dig out a picture of my first case-the one I cut a hole in the side panel of because it's the only place my radiator would fit in that shoebox. LOL The fan on the left might help keep the temp down on the bottom HDD. Easy enough to try it. Do it that way and check the drive temp in HWMonitor, then unplug that fan. Or check it before you put the fan in and after.

Update: Got it! I had to mount the rear exhaust fan outside because it wouldn't fit inside. Had a snap on filter/cover because I wrecked two fans sticking my fingers in it the and broke fan blades. LOL The ATX mobo went from the top to the floor of the case.

Here we go:
Snapshot_20140518.JPG

Last edited:
Well the point isnt even to cool the drive, its more to act as an exhaust for the case. But i guess it can double duty as cooler for the drives. This computer really is becoming a Frankenstein. Ill have to dremel a small hole in the rear side panel for the power and sata cables to run. I can run these sata 2 drives off sata 3 cables right? i know i wont get the performance boost but it will work right?

Okay cool. Thanks for the help. I am going to have to post some pics up somewhere on this forum once im done with it to show how much of a mess i made with it lol. I think i might have surpassed your level and gone to another.

I may have tossed the case. The insides ended up going in a build for my daughter. When it finally got a new case it had a Asus M5A99-FX Pro mobo, FX 6350 chip, * GB og G. Skill Ripjaws (4x2) A Hauppauge TV tuner card, R7 260x, 2 HDDs, Corsair h100i, and a blower fan in an expansion slot. All in a tiny mATX case. After cleaning everything up (except the blower fan) it went in a black Phanteks Enthoo Luxe case. That was my daughter's first build. She's getting the GPU upgraded soon to a RX 480 8 GB.

Back