• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking AMD FX8320E on Asrock 970 extreme4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyrus302

Hey I'm having problems over clocking my cpu I'm wanting to get around 4.5-4.9Ghz?

New to overclocking

here's my specs

storage: Kingston HyperX 3k 120gb ssd boot drive
Seagate 1tb hdd 7200rpm

RAM: 2x4gb Kingston sniper 1866 ddr3

cpu :AMD 8320E

CPU COOLER : corsair h80i

pSU. EVGA NEX650G

GPU ASUS STRIX RX470 4GB

So how far have you gotten with the overclock so far?

What are the load temps?

Do you have active cooling on the VRM package area to the left of the CPU?

Are all the power save settings on or off?

And lastly, are you using multiplier only overclocking?

I think you may want to lower your expectations a bit. 4.5 may be doable, if you actively cool the vrm section as shrimpy stated. I highly doubt you'll achieve anything higher with that board on ambient cooling.

I think you may want to lower your expectations a bit. 4.5 may be doable, if you actively cool the vrm section as shrimpy stated. I highly doubt you'll achieve anything higher with that board on ambient cooling.

OP is risking a lot overclocking an octa-core on a 4+1 motherboard, even with active VRM cooling...

I was going to say i was barely able to get 5.0 stable on my 9590 with my H115i with server fans. I dont think you will be able to get close to 5.0 or the 4.9 without a full custom loop. Let alone what everyone is saying about your board.

I had this 8370 at 4.7ghz 1.428v ~55c 24/7 with a NH-D15, maybe if he hit the silicon lottery jackpot and a really good 360 AIO ? But he's definitely not getting there with a h80i or that board...

I had this 8370 at 4.7ghz 1.428v ~55c 24/7 with a NH-D15, maybe if he hit the silicon lottery jackpot and a really good 360 AIO ? But he's definitely not getting there with a h80i or that board...

Your starting to max that board out and pull more power than it can handle. at that point, its not the cpu temp that is a problem but the VRM's. THe 360 AIO with some decent fans might be able to get close to 4.7 but i really doubt it will break 5.0, i had a hard time hitting 5.0 while running prime95 or AOD.

This Sabertooth ? she's near enough on the level of a Crosshair V in terms of stability/overclocking "horsepower" (the VRM's even without any extra cooling only hit 75c, after i put a fan on it they went down to 55c on Prime95), only thing that stopped me at the time from pushing it further was the Noctua. When i mentioned the 360 AIO i was thinking of a EKWB, i remember seeing one in the website a while ago, expensive but arguably the best in the market.

Yeah still got the decent chip 8320 going on the Fatality 970, Corsair Pump finally got on it's last leg and too broke the inlet trying to get a hose off...so I order some ID-Cooling Frostflow Pump from China as a Replacement that's gonna be like 2 or 3 weeks. With that said Definitely happy with Noctua the D14, came in today mounted up at 5ghz with it nicely just great Higher end Air. With that said the 240mm rad going was a good bit better, it was hard ever breaking 50-55c with that thing you know and that was with slow fans only 2000rpm.

This Sabertooth ? she's near enough on the level of a Crosshair V in terms of stability/overclocking "horsepower" (the VRM's even without any extra cooling only hit 75c, after i put a fan on it they went down to 55c on Prime95), only thing that stopped me at the time from pushing it further was the Noctua. When i mentioned the 360 AIO i was thinking of a EKWB, i remember seeing one in the website a while ago, expensive but arguably the best in the market.

No i was talking about the OP, not you specifically. Sorry i should have reworded that. For the op, he is pulling to much power for that board. And yes i know the sabertooth is a good board, i recommended for my dads 8370. But i thought the Crosshair was better? Able to go towards extreme overclocking?

Crosshair is better for extreme OC with more bells and whistles on the BIOS, Saber is more user friendly but almost as good in terms of durability (or so ASUS claims). Both are 8+2 and can handle the dreaded 9370/9570.

Last edited:
Crosshair is better for extreme OC with more bells and whistles on the BIOS, Saber is more user friendly but almost as good in terms of durability (or so ASUS claims). Both are 8+2 and can handle the dreaded 9370/9570.

Both of those probably going to Clock a lot better an Easier than the Asrock Mobo's I find they don't like being pushed Really.

And this one is cool just because of the M2. Slot..others didn't even have.. even though haven't even used it yet but they was a seller for sure.

Back