• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there any advantage to buying more RAM than you need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just some anecdotal evidence but one thing that I have noticed running excessive RAM is that it reduces wear on SSDs. You definitely show fewer reads/writes which helps in the long run I'd imagine. I almost always run twice the RAM I think I need whenever I make an OC build. I was running 16GB back on Thuban 1055Ts and 32GB with Sandybridge and 32gb on the imac. If I made a build today I'd do 64gb minimum

Just some anecdotal evidence but one thing that I have noticed running excessive RAM is that it reduces wear on SSDs. You definitely show fewer reads/writes which helps in the long run I'd imagine. I almost always run twice the RAM I think I need whenever I make an OC build. I was running 16GB back on Thuban 1055Ts and 32GB with Sandybridge and 32gb on the imac. If I made a build today I'd do 64gb minimum

What software do you use that will utilize 32GB of ram?

Back