• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for something like proxmox

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

95blackz26

ok i want to use something like proxmox but would rather pay upfront for a license..i like the ability of using the browser to enter the proxmox setup..

if you have experience with something like this i'd like to hear from you.

i'm running windows server 2012 r2 as a base right now , i'm using that as a file server but i want to setup virtual machine for specific uses and would like the ability to remote access them.. vmware workstation is $250 right now.

Okay, so you are looking for a type-2 hypervisor, not a type-1 (bare metal one). Proxmox is a bare metal hypervisor which is why I made those suggestions. ESXi is free (up to 2 cpu sockets and 64gb of RAM IIRC) as is Proxmox actually, I thought. Obviously you have HyperV built into your OS, but it doesn't have a web interface for management, you'd either need to use the local hyperv installation to manage or can install the RSAT tools on another machine if you wanted to do it remotely.

i'm moving this coming weekend so i won't have any time to put into this. i have a Intel S2600CP2J with 2 E5-2670's and 64gb of ram. just need to get a case for that which will probably end up being this CHENBRO SR11169..right now i'm using a poweredge t110ii which i have a 1230v2 and 32gb ram..ram isn't an issue right now but even with running the VM's at 2 cores each you can feel the pain.

Back