• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot update to Windows 10 Anniversary edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

I get this message when trying to update using the media creation tools while in the OS. Attempting to update from booting to a usb does not work either, it wont even let me choose the disk I want to install on, there is an error message before that. Windows will not automatically install the update either. I don't know what to do. This is on my new MSI GP62MVR. The only thing I have done to it is add a M.2 boot ssd.

windows 10 update fails.PNG
win 10.PNG

I get this message when trying to update using the media creation tools while in the OS. Attempting to update from booting to a usb does not work either, it wont even let me choose the disk I want to install on, there is an error message before that. Windows will not automatically install the update either. I don't know what to do. This is on my new MSI GP62MVR. The only thing I have done to it is add a M.2 boot ssd.

View attachment 189601
View attachment 189602

Do you have Broadcomm Bluetooth and Wireless drivers installed? (Broadcomm wireless chip on your mobo?) That's if you're going from 7/8/8.1 to 10

This machine comes with Windows 10 from the factory. And I assume I have that installed, please tell me why that matters. All update methods fail.

If you read my post, I showed that I tried getting it through Windows Update and it failed.

The laptop has Windows 10 and has never had anything but Windows 10. It just wont update to the anniversary edition. Also explained in previous posts.

I had a problem like that in the past and after waiting a many days it finely updated. Are there any updates that need to be done before windows Anniversary update.

Are there any other drives in the laptop? I've had some odd behavior from W10 with storage drives. It would be worth disconnecting all drives but the boot drive and trying. No guarantees, but it's worth a shot if for no other reason than eliminating the possibility.

My friend was reporting the same issue. He couldn't make USB flash drive with Win10 last weekend. It simply didn't work. He was downloading new ISO from MS site and new media creation tool.

I've had the update fail on me because I had a drive with X: as the drive letter. It would fill up the line restart and just sit on the upgrade screen with no activity. Changing the drive letter to another one resolved the issue.

My friend was reporting the same issue. He couldn't make USB flash drive with Win10 last weekend. It simply didn't work. He was downloading new ISO from MS site and new media creation tool.

Well, then wingman99's experience may be the one to watch. It wouldn't surprise me if the problem is on the M$ end and will be fixed eventually. Windows 10 has been, umm, a challenge, on many fronts. LOL

It looks the drive I moved the OS off of still had a system partition on it. After removing that, my laptop updated right away and all is good!

Back