• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much memory does Windows 10 for "future proofing"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlyingTexan

Registered
Basically building a new HTPC and wondering if 16GB is good of if I should just throw another $100 and get 32GB

Unless you have specific particularly ram hungry software (or combination thereof), 16GB should be plenty for the foreseeable future.

It's an HTPC...why the heck are you considering more than 8gb honestly????? If it just sits there and plays movies and is a basic unit...

If it's only HTPC then 8GB is more than enough. If you are planning to play more demanding games then get 16GB.

I have a fairly extensive list of programs that my HTPC uses, and I've never come close to maxing out my 8gb of ram.
Like ED said, it plays movies/music or downloads stuff. Not exactly a power hungry unit.
My gaming rig hasn't even maxed out my 16gb of ram, and I use that for video and photo editing too.

+1 to the others, if you are only going to be using it for internet browsing, and downloading, serving files, etc unless you plan to run FreeNAS (or a similar ZFS file system) as the main OS you don't need more than 8GB of RAM.

A little off topic, but what benefit would an HTPC have over say an Nvidia shield?

Depends on the use case. As I understand it the OP's HTPC is also going to be a basic file server and will plugin to their TV for watching TV, browsing the internet, etc. I imagine those things (especially the file share portion) are not possible on streaming devices.

A little off topic, but what benefit would an HTPC have over say an Nvidia shield?

More flexibility was why I went HTPC. I wanted more than just streaming, I also wanted to be able to run specific programs I use for watching movies or listening to music. Plus, having a toddler with a short attention span, I want to be able to switch between watching Netflix cartoons, YouTube cartoons, and browser specific sites like PBS Kids with ease. And I use it for downloading stuff to the ipad/ipod and don't want to go through a work-around every time, I just want iTunes to work like it's supposed to. Having a Blu-Ray player built in it also allows me to not have yet another device cluttering the entertainment center, I can watch any disc-based movie I have right on the HTPC.
The Shield is great for what it does, and if you don't need any of the other items, it's probably the better option.

I have two Nvidia shields (one in the living room, and one in the bedroom) and run Kodi on both. I guess its a pretty all in one type of media solution for me. But, your reasons for an HTPC are indeed valid! Thanks for the quick replies!

I use my HTPC (with built in TV tuner) as a DVR, web surfer, gamer, email checker, video streamer, TV and all around good looking bit of techno art in my living room. :D

I use my HTPC (with built in TV tuner) as a DVR, web surfer, gamer, email checker, video streamer, TV and all around good looking bit of techno art in my living room. :D
Cool story!

How much ram do you have and are you topping it out?

16 GB and nowhere near using it all. I can game, stream, DVR, and leave 20 browser tabs open. LOL

8 tabs open in this browser (Opera) and 7 open in IE, one of which is streaming video on Amazon Prime, and recording a TV show with Media Center. This all I'm using.

RAM.JPG

Last edited:
Is it an ITX board? Because then the question also becomes 1 stick for an upgrade path, or 2 sticks for dual channel benefits now.

I think a single 8GB stick to start would be alright, most likely.

I wodnt worry about a ram upgrade path for an htpc...just go dual channel/2 sticks.

this thread kind of reminds me of when "wow who could ever use 2gb of ram il never have to upgrade this beast!" -me building my core 2 duo machine.

this thread kind of reminds me of when "wow who could ever use 2gb of ram il never have to upgrade this beast!" -me building my core 2 duo machine.

Bill Gates used to say who would ever use more that 640k ram...... oh my.

The correct thinking is to never buy more than you need right now,
because tomorrow it will be half price and twice as fast.
And what you have will be almost instantly virtually worthless.

Price magically dropped yesterday when I clicked on it. LOL. Still shows the lower price for me. If I had known RAM prices would do this I would have bought a lot more last July. :D

Back