• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair Vengeance running at 667mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steven8294

Hi All

So I got a new mobo yesterday, MSI 970 Gaming (MSI-7693) - and placed all my other hardware into it, previously on my old mobo I had my RAM displaying in Windows as 800MHZ per stick - now it seems on the new mobo, I'm getting the Corsair Vengeance running in my pc at 667mhz, and the Kingston stock RAM running at 800.

Kingston 99U5584-005.A00LF
Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 99U5584-005.A00LF

800, 667, 800, 667 MHz
4096, 8192, 4096, 8192 MB

This is the configuration, and as you can see the associated speeds, the 8GB sticks are the CV, and the 4GB sticks are the Kingston.

I've set a profile in the OC settings of the Mobo to DDR3-1600MHZ, but still it doesn't carry through to Windows, and I'm using an AMD processor, so I cannot use XMP profiles as I understand it.

Can anyone assist in getting the RAM to the advertised speeds, do I need to switch up which slots they are in, do I need to remove the 4GB sticks? (Although I do not prefer this method, as I currently use the PC for my virtualised test environment, so the extra helps until I can replace with CV)

Thanks in Advance

EDIT : Incase it's needed, I'm running AMD FX8320

Last edited:
what are you checking the RAM with in windows? If you arent using it, download cpu-z and see what it shows the RAM running at.

Hi,

I used CPU-Z already and it shows the same, the corsair running at 667mhz and the Kingston running at 800mhz. The results shown above are just from a benchmarking tool I was using earlier today.

Thanks

I would start by pulling the Kingston out of the system. Looks like 24GB of ram which is a lot. You have two mixed sets of ram which can cause issues and the FX doesn't have a very strong IMC so I would leave only the corsair, I believe they're the 8 GB sticks?

I would start by pulling the Kingston out of the system. Looks like 24GB of ram which is a lot. You have two mixed sets of ram which can cause issues and the FX doesn't have a very strong IMC so I would leave only the corsair, I believe they're the 8 GB sticks?

Yeah, they're the 8gb sticks, I'll pull the kingston out tonight and see if the Corsair plays ball on it's own. Just wanted to check if it was something obvious before I start pulling panels off again! Seen enough of this inside of this for one day :) Will come back with my findings, Thanks for the advice.

Once you pull them out you should be able to set the ram profile in BIOS and have it run at rated speed and timings

Once you pull them out you should be able to set the ram profile in BIOS and have it run at rated speed and timings

Okay, so it seems I've got a slight problem, which is tomorrows job!

I've got the Kingston in Slot 1 and Slot 3 - and the Corsair in Slot 2 and Slot 4. I've installed my Cooler Master Hyper 212 so that it's obstructing slot 1 in terms of height, so the Kingston RAM fits, but the Corsair + heatsinks on the RAM, doesn't fit. I tried booting with just using 2 and 4, but I'm assuming Channel A (1-3) need to be used before 4 is used. So I'm currently stuck as I am, until I can find time to remove the cooler and reattach in the other direction.

Back