• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why am I not getting a higher framerate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

My laptop's power supply puts out 180 watts which should be more than enough to power the GTX 1060 and i7 6700HQ at full tilt. Though in the game Rust for example, my CPU and GPU both sit around 50% while only giving me 50fps (not the max fps). Likewise in CS:GO I can only get ~150fps with the GPU at 70% and CPU around 50%. Should the GPU not be using all of its potential to push as many frames as possible? My power settings are not an issue and should allow it to run at full potential. Anyone know what might cause this?

I'm not entirely sure, but there is the possibility that the game only uses 4 threads, and the GPU is being CPU starved. What happens when you crank up the settings to max?

Have you gone into Windows power management and set to max while plugged in?

Assuming it's an Intel cpu, try disabling the speed step tech in the bios. Perhaps chipset update would help as well. I'm thinking along the lines of bluefalcon - your CPU may be getting throttled/limiting you in some way.

The temps never get over 80C on either the CPU or GPU

CPU/GPU temps are not the only thing that matter. Maybe your VRM temps are too high? I would download hwinfo64 and do some sensor logging. Then you can see just what is happening (watch clock speeds/temps is my suggestion).

It was a Razer Blade with 970m and i7-4720hq. I think the included power supply just wasn't enough. The CPU did get very hot, but never saw any thermal throttling on monitoring applications.

I have since upgraded to an MSI GP62MVR GTX 1060 and i7-6700hq

Back