• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Node 202 1700/7700k oc cooling solution rquest

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dadiman260

I am currently planning a node 202 build with either the 7700k or the ryzen 1700 any ideas for a cooling in such a small system if I want to overclock? the three I currently considered were the c7 and the nh-l9i and the Shadow Rock LP.

I can't speak for those coolers But I do know you'll have a much easier time cooling the Ryzen 7 1700 than the 7700k.

I can't speak for those coolers But I do know you'll have a much easier time cooling the Ryzen 7 1700 than the 7700k.
any idea if it will reach 3.6 or more without melting :p? because supposedly that's around the point at which u start matching the 7700k.:mad:

- - - Updated - - -

any idea if it will reach 3.6 or more without melting :p? because supposedly that's around the point at which u start matching the 7700k.:mad:
by maching I mean it becomes good enough value to beat 7700k because intel still kicks *** in games.

Well, the turbo speed on these is 3.7 so I'm sure you can get it there. The big question will be if that tiny cooler can maintain that speed in that tiny case. My guess is your best bet would to not OC it ( I know heresy) and let it boost up when it needs to. Keep in mind that the Ryzen boosts all 8 cores where Intel only boost 1 core. I don't mean to sway your build but temps are the biggest struggle in tiny cases.

Well, the turbo speed on these is 3.7 so I'm sure you can get it there. The big question will be if that tiny cooler can maintain that speed in that tiny case. My guess is your best bet would to not OC it ( I know heresy) and let it boost up when it needs to. Keep in mind that the Ryzen boosts all 8 cores where Intel only boost 1 core. I don't mean to sway your build but temps are the biggest struggle in tiny cases.
I know solving issues like this is the fun part :D. and supposedly the ryzen cpus lock the turbo if you run the oc so that's another issue :C

Pretty sure the 1700 only boosts 2 cores the same as the enthusiasts line for intel

The Ryzen 7 1700X and Ryzen 7 1700 are identical to their big brother the Ryzen 7 1800X in every way aside from base clocks and boost speeds. The Ryzen 7 1700 is the only one of the three that doesn’t have the XFR (eXtended Frequency Range) technology which will raise the base and boost clocks by 100 MHz as long as your cooling is sufficient. Being Ryzen 7 octo-core CPUs they all share the same architecture, cache allotments and PCIe lanes.

From our own independent review done by ATMINSIDE - Link

EDIT - I take that back. Looks like you are correct. I'm very surprized I hadn't read this before. hmmm From same link

1700.PNG

Has anyone watched what's pulled from the wall? really this kinda dissipation stride here unreal man.

Has anyone watched what's pulled from the wall? really this kinda dissipation stride here unreal man.
I don't have a killowatt, but from the ol' butt dyno, alot less than my old FX8320E @4.5ghz. HWinfo reports a max CPU wattage of 100W. I have it paired with an RX480, and now my computer isn't a personal space heater (which is bad in the winter where my office is...).

C7 is much better than L9i. Can count on up to 1.10V on noctua and 1.20V on cryorig so whatever your cpu can make at these voltages. Typical 7700K can make 4.5GHz on all cores at about 1.15V, some can make 4.7GHz. Noctua is 65W TDP cooler and is not designed for i7. However if you want better cooling in small space then Noctua offers L9x65 cooler for both AMD and Intel. I had a chance to test it on 1700X and I could keep it up to 3.9GHz for longer tests. At about 3.8GHz can make it to run quiet.
Simply using L9x65 you can count on about ~4.5GHz on 7700K and ~3.8GHz on 1700 on all cores. Maybe more but all depends if there will be good airflow in the case and if you can live with more noise.
Cryorig C7 and Noctua L9x65 fans spin up to about 2500RPM.

Last edited:
Back