• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS x99 a I I boot drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bruceGH4

Registered
I recently installed a Samsung 960 pro m.2 SSD as my boot drive in windows 10.
Works fine except that if I tweak the voltage and save/restart my Samsung drive disappears from the boot list and it opens in bios.
I have to reset to default to get back my boot drive recognized, then I can make bios adjustments and save/boot to windows, once.
If I go back into bios and make a voltage tweak, bam, drive disappears and have to reset.
I hope someone knows of a setting in bios or windows that will correct this. If I do clear CMOS, will I have to set up windows again?
I have flashed the current bios ver. 1401. Would that be preserved?

Anyone advice is appreciated.:-/

Resetting the CMOS will not wipe out your currently installed version of bios and it will not require you to reinstall Windows. It may, however rest time and date to factory default and wipe out any custom profiles or settings you have established in bios.

What voltage are you tweaking?

Resetting the CMOS will not wipe out your currently installed version of bios and it will not require you to reinstall Windows. It may, however rest time and date to factory default and wipe out any custom profiles or settings you have established in bios.

What voltage are you tweaking?

In the eufi bios, in the tweak menu, I have Full Manual disabled, CPU Core Voltage set to manual, and CPU Core Voltage Override set to 1.3v now.
The last is the setting that I have been lowering. One thing, I was doing it a little different with Full Manual enabled and then change the voltage right on the CPU Core Voltage line. Not sure what the difference is though.

For some reason the bios reset problem went away. I suspect that it had something to do with the profile save settings in tools. I had saved a profile before adding my m.2 card, and I was trying to clear that profile (you can't clear profiles) and I think it was loading this profile for some reason and so didn't know there was a new M.2 drive to boot from.
Finally figured out how to re save over an old profile. What I am learning is that in EUFI-BIOS, you have to press the enter key when you change something!
Clearing CMOS doesn't do anything except clear passwords and time.

You can't clear profiles but you can overwrite them if you want different settings to be saved for that particular profile. Sometimes it's a little confusing as you have to save the changes, then reboot and load them.

Typically, resetting (with the Clear CMOS jumper) the bios does clear the profiles. I'm not sure you and I were using the term "resetting" the same way.

You can't clear profiles but you can overwrite them if you want different settings to be saved for that particular profile. Sometimes it's a little confusing as you have to save the changes, then reboot and load them.

Typically, resetting (with the Clear CMOS jumper) the bios does clear the profiles. I'm not sure you and I were using the term "resetting" the same way.

I have read that the only way to really clear the profiles on this board is to flash it (which you can apparently even do in windows with an internet connection).
Still, clearing my CMOS was a good exercise in that I learned that the jumper only was insufficient to clear. I had to also pull the battery.
Still really like my board/chip.
Thanks for your info.

Back