• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for keeping random cables like Ethernet and modem power tidy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

My room is constantly a mess of cables, I'm tripping over them, and I've broken more than one. But it seems every time I get everything running where it needs to go with as little extra cable sticking out as possible, I'm right back at square one in three days. Any advice? How do you guys manage your extra cables?

For semi permanent Ethernet runs, I have a handheld staple gun that uses arched Staples (it's not powered.... Purely squeeze power). For my desk wires, "hook and loop" straps (also known as Velcro). And the power strip.... Well that's a rats nest, and I pretend it doesn't exist [emoji14]

Mine arent great, but they are zip tied in multiple places from the device(s) to to the PC(s). My network cable is run under the carpet between the tack strip and baseboard. The review pc is mostly loose since it changes quite a bit..

For semi permanent Ethernet runs, I have a handheld staple gun that uses arched Staples (it's not powered.... Purely squeeze power). For my desk wires, "hook and loop" straps (also known as Velcro). And the power strip.... Well that's a rats nest, and I pretend it doesn't exist [emoji14]
I'll have to add a staple gun to the list of tools I need to buy as well as a soldering iron. Part of my problem is I have a six foot Ethernet cable, going from the modem to the router, as well as another six foot one going from the router computer, and I don't need one anywhere near that large for either purpose. Just used the cables that came with it lol.

Mine arent great, but they are zip tied in multiple places from the device(s) to to the PC(s). My network cable is run under the carpet between the tack strip and baseboard. The review pc is mostly loose since it changes quite a bit..
If it makes you feel better ED, mine is 'functional' not pretty...
IMG_20170328_200835.jpg

OP: here is the staple gun and Staples. They go into wood just fine, gotta be careful you don't wreck the cable...

IMG_20170328_195359.jpg
IMG_20170328_195501.jpg

I don't obsess over neat cables anymore. Overclockers and PC enthusiasts are constantly tinkering and to have to undo ties and fasteners all the time is too much hassle.

The twist tie on a bread bag is pretty handy. You can link multiple of them when needed, low cost, blah blah blah.... :) For that length between you modem and router I would consider some loose loops kept in place with a bread tie on each side.

3/4 pvc is cheap enough to use for small projects. Grab 10ft and a few elbows and all the sudden you can run most of your cables behind your desk through a custom conduit. Pvc can be painted, and cut with a steak knife (I would still use a saw, but in a pinch....). It can be easily drilled and tacked to walls or ziptied to desks. You dont even have to cement it since its not carrying liquid.

D Line Quarter Round is how I run my long cable runs from stuff like ethernet cables. Looks like standard quarter round trim, but it's hollow so you can run cables through it.
For the desk, I use velco cinch straps so I can get the cables as tight as I want but still can remove them with ease when needed.

Back