• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[HELP] Overclocking Phenom IIx4 960T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BloodyROAR

Registered
Hooraaahhh!!!
i have been running my cpu at stock speed which is 3.0GHz and i wanted to push it far to 4.0GHz
well I'm new to overclocking and want to know how to blend cpu multiplier and NB multiplier to get my
wanted results.

here are my specs

AMD Phenom II x4 960T
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Motherboard
Noctua NH-D15 Cooler
Seasonic M12II EVO 750W

my case have decent airflow, 2 intakes, 2 exhaust(1 top and 1 back)

as for the moment I'm still reading around here about overclocking
I think beyond 4.0GHz is scary... too much voltage and heat may kill my motherboard in no time :(
so I'm asking guides what to crank up and how to stress test via Prime95

and before i forget, if my OC is now stable can I enable what was disabled again?

This should get you started. Recommend reading your Mobo manual too, just as a refresher where all the options are.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

Thanks Dolk!

As for stress testing, just download prime95. When you launch it the first time, tell it 'just stress testing' and generally you should run a blend test. For quick stability checks, between voltage bumps and multiplier bumps, I do 20mins. Once you are happy where you get to, run a blend test for 2 hours. Feel free to ask us some questions when you have em!

Those Phenom II chips are pretty easy to Oc and are also pretty tolerant to being beat on. Another thing you may want to try is to see if your 960 T will unlock. Some, not all, are able to unlock to 5 or 6 cores but this is also dependent on the motherboard.

That option isn't available on the M5A 99FX boards AFIK

That option isn't available on the M5A 99FX boards AFIK
It tis on my M5A99x Evo though I've yet to be able to successfully unlock a cpu on that board. The only board I have that I've been successful on is my Giga 790Fx board.

This should get you started. Recommend reading your Mobo manual too, just as a refresher where all the options are.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

Thanks Dolk!

As for stress testing, just download prime95. When you launch it the first time, tell it 'just stress testing' and generally you should run a blend test. For quick stability checks, between voltage bumps and multiplier bumps, I do 20mins. Once you are happy where you get to, run a blend test for 2 hours. Feel free to ask us some questions when you have em!

thank you for sharing this link... i will be reading it and also knowing more about my motherboard.. maybe some reviews around here is a good read...

will post update once I'm fully equip about overclocking my cpu.

i just started overclocking... what i did was disable cool and quiet, c1e, svm
dial multiplier by 1.5 and set manual voltage...
i am now at 3.2Ghz at 1.320v but as i ran prime95 my cpu volt increases to 1.344v
why did my mobo increases the cpu voltage?
how to make it stable? do i need to make LLC to regular? ATM it is on auto

EDIT:This is my specs on my bios now
Muiltipler x16.5 @3.3GHz
Dialed 0.5 more on the multiplier and set manual cpu voltage at 1.325v and turned LLC to Regular
running Prime95 ATM and my voltage reading on HWMonitor is 1.296v
here is a screenshot about it
oc@33GHz.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good BR, Your temps are still quite low. On that board I found LLC at high-ultra was closest to BIOS setting for voltage. Looks like you still have a lot of headroom so get that speed up there.

Looks good BR, Your temps are still quite low. On that board I found LLC at high-ultra was closest to BIOS setting for voltage. Looks like you still have a lot of headroom so get that speed up there.

uhmmm, is this normal? everytime i ran Prime95.. cpu core voltage goes below 1.325v of what i set on the bios

EDIT: Now I am running 3.5GHz @ 1.325v set manual on bios, 7mins running Prime95... same situation as the above while running Prime95 cpu corev goes 1.284v
only using Multiplier to raise my cpu frequency

Last edited:
Going below a smidge is not a huge deal. LLC is to help the Mobo deal with Vdrop (when the CPU is transitions to heavy load from low load, the Vcore may show a drop due to the massive demand on the CPU).

What did you end up setting LLC to?

Going below a smidge is not a huge deal. LLC is to help the Mobo deal with Vdrop (when the CPU is transitions to heavy load from low load, the Vcore may show a drop due to the massive demand on the CPU).

What did you end up setting LLC to?

Well i set LLC to Regular... so far running Prime95 every 30mins no errors or BSOD encountered

Well i set LLC to Regular... so far running Prime95 every 30mins no errors or BSOD encountered
Try bumping LLC one notch until your Vcore stays right around where you set it. The key is a little under or over is OK, but you don't want LLC to cause your Vcore to shoot way up. Keep trucking on the OC, sounds like you are doing fine! It does take a bit of time to dial it in the proper way, but the resulting stability more than makes up for it :)

Try bumping LLC one notch until your Vcore stays right around where you set it. The key is a little under or over is OK, but you don't want LLC to cause your Vcore to shoot way up. Keep trucking on the OC, sounds like you are doing fine! It does take a bit of time to dial it in the proper way, but the resulting stability more than makes up for it :)

so at this time, I'm on the right track on raising my cpu up? if I reach 4.0GHz only raising multiplier and cpu core voltage
does it mean I'm done on my mission of overclocking? and can I turn those what I disable from the start?

so at this time, I'm on the right track on raising my cpu up? if I reach 4.0GHz only raising multiplier and cpu core voltage
does it mean I'm done on my mission of overclocking? and can I turn those what I disable from the start?
I. Pretty sure you an, but wait for one of the other guys to chime in. I never do, but I don't care about power draw either [emoji14]

uhmmm, is this normal? everytime i ran Prime95.. cpu core voltage goes below 1.325v of what i set on the bios

EDIT: Now I am running 3.5GHz @ 1.325v set manual on bios, 7mins running Prime95... same situation as the above while running Prime95 cpu corev goes 1.284v
only using Multiplier to raise my cpu frequency

I already mentioned the LLC in the quote you posted of mine. Set it to high or ultra high on that board and it'll be very cloce to what you set in BIOS.

Just keep going till you reach 1.45-1.5v or 55°c while testing. Then you can up your NB speed a bit maybe work on memory but you need to find your max core speed first.

I already mentioned the LLC in the quote you posted of mine. Set it to high or ultra high on that board and it'll be very cloce to what you set in BIOS.

Just keep going till you reach 1.45-1.5v or 55°c while testing. Then you can up your NB speed a bit maybe work on memory but you need to find your max core speed first.

I see, but what if I won't change the LLC and let it sit on Regular, is there any bad effect on it?
:D I kinda like seeing low voltage on it... but lately i saw my cpu core voltage spike up to 2.844v as what HWMonitor detected
highvoltage.JPG

The problem you might get is instability as you push the clocks higher. I would set the LLC as this will allow you to keep an overall lower vcore as you increase clock speed. Otherwise, your stability testing will require a much higher voltage at idle to compensate.

Back