• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[HELP] Overclocking Phenom IIx4 960T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Get the core sorted first. If the 960T is anything like the other thubans then you might be able to get 16-1800 fairly easy. We;ll also want to raise that NB speed.

What do you mean by those numbers? ram frequency? I'm working on it as i raise more voltage for the core...
Will update this thread when I'm done... got to leave my house for work and be back in a week XD

aaaaannnndddd I'm back!!!
dialed the cpu vcore to 1.488v and ran Prime95 and it passes the 30mins test but as i continue 1 core will fail
and about the temperature on the CPU I'm getting 55~57 deg C, is it still ok? or I'm on the limit?

CPU TEMP 55~57C (mobo socket)
CORE TEMP 35C (cpu core)

what are the limits?

Last edited:
Some phenoms will get a little wonky at 55c you may be at your limit with the cooling you have.

Some phenoms will get a little wonky at 55c you may be at your limit with the cooling you have.

oh noooo!! I think I'm done here, it is my limit so getting 4.0GHz won't be good anymore... :(
will dial the clock down and cpu vcore voltage down too...
I hope it will be stable at 3.8 or 3.9GHz... good luck to me

EDIT: well tried 3.9GHz with this but it won't pass 45mins and 1 worker will just stop
3.9ghz.jpg

so this time I'm at 3.7GHz with just multiplier crank to 18.5 and fsb to stock with 1.380v cpu core
ran 1hr of Prime95 and it's stable also played some games Mafia II/COD Black Ops 2/SMITE
all ran stable so this means that my OC at 3.7GHz is stable? right?

(on the back of my mind) I'm a little disappointed that I can't crank this to 4.0GHz
I will try 3.8GHz tomorrow hoping it will be stable

Last edited:
You may want to try Ocing using the multiplier. You may have reached your limit on the Fsb also.

You may want to try Ocing using the multiplier. You may have reached your limit on the Fsb also.
Exactly.
All multi with FSB between 200-215 will yield the best OC on these chips.
You still need to keep those temps below 55c.

Exactly.
All multi with FSB between 200-215 will yield the best OC on these chips.
You still need to keep those temps below 55c.

nice hint over there! will experiment further...
will this be considered stable? it pass the 2hrs test but after 45mins 1 worker stopped
here is a screen shot
3.92hrs45.jpg

but after that I crank up the voltage and using multiplier only increasing cpu vcore voltage to 1.45v
1 worker stopped within 35mins only (now I'm confuse) @_@

Touch more vcore. You're only at 1.42v and still have temp room. You're getting closer. ;)

thank you to all who help here on my journey to 4.0GHz
well I didn't achieve it maybe my chip can't push it hard and I'm hitting cpu socket temp limits
just dialed to 3.6GHz with little increase on it's cpu core voltage

I have been out for awhile and I just upgraded it to FX-8320e
transferred my Phenom IIx4 960T to an old motherboard [ASRock N68C GS-FX]

and this journey ends here!
again thank you OCC! and to all who help along!

That was a downgrade. Your 960T at 3.6 performs better than your 8320 at 4.6.

how did that happen? hmmm can you hit me a pm about it? explain it to me :) thanks in advance

The IPC of a Thuban is higher than that of an FX line.
That said, I disagree his assessment - the FX line is becoming more and more capable as games are starting to utilize it's higher thread count (not to mention newer instruction sets). If you are overclocking it, then you are good.

That's assuming you are actually overclocking it to 4.6ghz. If you are running the FX at 3.6, then yeah, you probably are sacrificing a bit of performance.

There are a handful of games at best that utilize 6 or more cores. IPC is still king, not to mention FX is a powerhog. Yes, FX has gotten better, but.........
I stick with my assessment, it was a downgrade.

Doubtful that the Fx 8xxx will even be able to hit more then 4.5 on the Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0. It doesn't have enough power to feed the chip, at least my M5A99X board didn't with my 8350.

There are a handful of games at best that utilize 6 or more cores. IPC is still king, not to mention FX is a powerhog. Yes, FX has gotten better, but.........
I stick with my assessment, it was a downgrade.

this is why I use two thubans @3.8 in working rigs and my 9590 is just a pretty, storage box on the wall.............. makes me sad.

Back