• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3930K + GTX 980 + 500W Power Supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thanacae

Registered
Hello there, I recently received my shiny new 3930K and Asus P9X79 motherboard. I am currently on a long trip back home, but I was curious if my 3930K (Which I plan on Oc'ing) paired with a GTX 980 SC would both literally crash my systems poor 500W under full load. I plan on upgrading the power supply to a modular 750W in the coming months, but it is currently not in my budget. Thanks for any help!!

Ok well the cpu is a 130w unit and the gpu is a 165w unit. This gives you a pull of 295w. Throw in another 100w for your miscellaneous components unless you are running watering? This gives you a peak power of about 400w. This leaves you about 100w to play with when overclocking the system. If you are looking to upgrade I would consider a 550w or 650w G3 unit from EVGA. A 550w unit should be plenty to power your rig but I mention the 650w unit as a lot of times you can find the 650w unit for the same price as the 550w unit.

If you post the full system specs that you are running I can give you a better draw value for wattage.

CPU: 3930K
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC
RAM: 8x2GB Corsair DDR3
Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX, 120/140mm Case fans
Storage: 2 HDD's, 1 SSD
Peripherals: Corsair Keyboard, Corsair Mouse, Headset

As Lochekey mentioned a quality 550w+ would do you fine even with overclocking. But the EVGA Supanova Gold 650w can often be found at a good price. I'd just grab that and call it a day.

I wouldn't OC on your current PSU personally..

Psu wasn't great, wasn't bad when it came out. That said, you should be fine, even with some overclocking. Remember the gpu is limited and won't pull much more. ;)

100W for 'everything else' is really giving a ton more cushion than needed. Fans, drives, chipset, pump from aio, etc is really looking around 30-50w.

If you are in the market, the Evga g3 550W is plenty for any modern gpu/cpu setup.

Last edited:
Gotcha, alright thanks guys! If I was interested in perhaps going SLI in the future, what wattage PSU is recommended?

100W for 'everything else' is really giving a ton more cushion than needed. Fans, drives, chipset, pump from aio, etc is really looking arins 30-50w.

But you forgot about the 25w usb powered coffee mug warmer and the 50w usb powered lap blanket.:D

I was just being a smart %%% but yea these things do exist. I like the description on this one.

Two levels of heat - use 1 USB plug for low and 2 USB plugs for high. Heat output is equal to about 1 cat (or small dog).

Back