• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project *Untitled* - My first custom loop, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tomma

Registered
I've decided to go from air to water in this build. It's my second time building a pc and first time ever doing a custom loop. So really excited! My goal is a quiet showcase system. Here's how far I've gotten the first day of building.

The old system. CM Haf X. Nevermind the dust :p
IMG_8552_zpswlwort7z.jpg

IMG_8554_zpsopuiasdi.jpg

IMG_8564_zpskao2kqrt.jpg

IMG_8558_zpsiltuiu12.jpg

IMG_8571_zps9mobnrl7.jpg

I'm still missing the GPU block. I'm hoping I'l have it early next week. Still much I can do meanwhile though. Haven't decided on how the loop should go, but the last picture shows where I'm thinking of placing the res. Think I'l maybe have to turn the CPU block 180 do change the in and outlet sides. It will be "upside-down" but then I don't have to cross the tubes to make it work.

Looking good, what colour coolant are you using, or is that clear I see?

Thanks! I was going for a blood red coolant cause of all the red parts, but from what I understand colored coolant can clog up the system so I'm going red PETG tubes with black fittings. If I later find it easy to clean and change coolant I'l consider going colored. The colored tubes don't look as nice as colored coolant. And with clear it looks boring at the pump, res and blocks.

This looks to be a nice build log. I think I'll stick around.

Thank you. I'l keep em coming

Last edited:
You are correct Tomma. Colored Coolants and dyes in general are generally discouraged.

Thanks! I was going for a blood red coolant cause of all the red parts, but from what I understand colored coolant can clog up the system so I'm going red PETG tubes with black fittings. If I later find it easy to clean and change coolant I'l consider going colored. The colored tubes don't look as nice as colored coolant. And with clear it looks boring at the pump, res and blocks.

Thank you. I'l keep em coming
I personally have 0 experience with colored coolant, but, based on the threads I have read on the forums, you really don't ant to run it.

From those threads, most people had to teardown their water blocks to de-gunk em as the water blocks act as a filter... Not an easy clean, usually one that involves a toothbrush.

Yea, I'm glad I skipped that now. Seems more like something for shows and temporary builds. But it looks so damn good though!

Looks like a decent project. Good luck with your build. Fitting a custom liquid cooling system is alot of fun.

Thanks again guys. Really motivating with the support. Okey, so second day of building. I now realize that I may have overestimated the space I have to work with. I've had to do some minor adjustments from what I was originally thinking. I do regret I didn't go for the pump+res combo. It would make things a lot more easy, but I'll make it work.

First off was removing the air-heatsink from the GPU. That was pretty straight forward. Still missing the block and backplate, so I left the original backplate for now. It was after installing the GPU I realized the space was a little smaller than expected.
Also one thing I have in mind is replacing the RAM with some more aesthetic ones. The Kingston I have now was the only one that would fit under the massive Noctua NH-D15. Obvious why they need to be replaced
With the GPU installed I could only find on spot for the res between the front rad and MB. I raised the front rad to align it with the outlet of the CPU making a straight line.
Lifting the radiator blocked 2 of the screws on the top fan. I don’t know how important it is to use all 4 screws, but I’m gonna have to drill some new holes i guess.
The outlet of the front radiator was not aligned with the reservoir inlet so I had to put it upside down and turn it some degrees in order to make it work.
I’ve made really rough sketch on how I’m thinking of running the tubes. Note that the angel of photo is no straight so it might look a little off, but everything should be aligned to make nice straight bends.

That's going to look nice. I didn't realize you were jumping straight into hard tubing.

Also as long as you don't get a lot of vibration/noise from the fan missing screws I wouldn't worry too much about it. Of course if you drill new holes in the case for them even better.

Yea I was considering soft tubing at first since almost everyone seems to recommend beginners with it, but my ultimate goal was hard tubing and since the fittings are different I thought I'd save some money in the long run just going straight to hard tubing. I do have to drill holes for the pump anyways so yea I'l do the fan holes too. The pump will be screwed to the bottom of the case. Is there any need for any sort of dampening between the pump and case? Does it vibrate much? It's a EK-XTOP Revo D5 pump.

Yea I was considering soft tubing at first since almost everyone seems to recommend beginners with it, but my ultimate goal was hard tubing and since the fittings are different I thought I'd save some money in the long run just going straight to hard tubing. I do have to drill holes for the pump anyways so yea I'l do the fan holes too. The pump will be screwed to the bottom of the case. Is there any need for any sort of dampening between the pump and case? Does it vibrate much? It's a EK-XTOP Revo D5 pump.

There should be a rubber sleeve around the pump in between it and the bracket straight from EK. So it should be just fine.

I would still provide a rubber gasket between the pump mount and the case. It may not be needed as Pierce suggested but IMO I'd rather add it and not need it then need it and not have it. Especially after it's all assembled. Hard tube disassembly is what drives people mad. A quick cheap hack is to buy a pack of small rubber O-rings and place one at each fastening point.

I can't see from the photo but can you fit the CPU power cord with all three radiator fans?

Yes I can. The top rad is mounted as close to the opposite wall as possible making enough room. The rad is even mounted on a rail type mount so after installing the rad and fan I am able to remove the whole thing getting access to the top of the motherboard.

Day 3 of build wasn't so much fun. Tried all night making room for a drain valve between the res and pump. Eventually I just had to give up and order some new fittings. The really bummer is that because I don't know how long the fittings will be I won't be able to drill holes for the pump as I don't know where it will end up. So basically the whole build is put of until I get the new fittings.

Back