• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adobe Flash Update Check selection is meaningless, caught it inserting itself

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Checking envolves a read, changing envolves a read+write. Although most programs only check when they are started the flash player tends to get updated more often then not because it represents a large security risk, a more pro-active method of checking might be "good" ?

Don't forget that most software nowadays is set-and-forget + auto-update ;)

Not everyone has a super fast computer. Can you further speculate on this from that angle:
How much of a performance hit on your boot up times would it be if all programs adopted this strategy of "checking" to see if you changed your mind on each boot. Wouldn't it slow things down significantly?

Obviously if every single application on your computer (depending on the amount of applications on your computer, etc) checked to see if you changed a setting after every boot it could slow some things down. You can quite easily use a boot speed tester and enable/disable the service (maybe 3-5 times and average for each) and see how much of a difference you see?

As Kenrou stated, I'm at least partially okay with it in that Flash Player (and other adobe products) as well as Java (which I assume probably does something similar with its updater) check for updates or to see if you changed your mind so that they can update and fix security issues if appropriate. Obviously there are exceptions to that rule of when you need an older version or want to be very hands on with your updates. But I imagine for 99.99% of the population, having Flash/Java/etc update automatically is desirable versus risking getting random malware that was served up from an unsuspecting site.

Back