• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Advice on How to Create/Setup a Website

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
I was coerced into being an officer for my golf league this year. It's a large league (over 100 members) and has been around for many years.

The league currently does not have a website, and has used email in the past to communicate with its members. The process of tracking down members, trying to communicate, oh...I have a new email, oh...your email went to SPAM folder, etc. is very frustrating.

I would like to bring the league into the 21st century and setup a website for the league.

I am a complete noob in this area.

I played around with the "automagic" website creator on GoDaddy.com. It was pretty straight forward, but the "automagic" website have limited functionality.

As the cost to host the website will come out of the league treasury, we are not in a position to hire anybody to do this.

I have enough hardware and internet bandwidth at my house to host the site out of there.

What is the best way to approach this?

How do I approach this without it turning into a science project?

Do I go with a hosting service, or run out of my house?

Any other random question(s) that I should ask but am too much of a n00b to ask.

Thanks!

I dont know how well it is received in the web-design community but you could always just copy the code from pages you like : http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000746.htm

Now Im not saying to wholesale jack someones website, but I guess I dont see a problem with taking a peek at code for pages you like and extrapolating/concactenating your own.

:shrug: The toughest thing about HTML used to be tables and frames.... Ive got a basic knowledge of basic HTML and look forward to answering anything you might ask that I know the answer to (which isnt likely after the very basics). In any case good luck :D

If I had to learn how to do a webpage, and wanted a simple method to modify things, I would take a look at Drupal. Its a content management system, free (as in beer and open source). I would play around with that in a virtual machine in something like virtualbox, then once I was happy with how things were going, move it to a dedicated host on the network.

One thing to watch out for: alot of consumer grade ISPs include clauses that state you WILL NOT host a website on your residential grade service. Now to be honest, I don't know if they even check or care that much, but you may end up violating their TOS. Additionally, if you WAN IP address changes frequently, you will need to account for a dynamic DNS hosting (some are free, some cost money). Lastly, do not forget about DNS costs as well! I hope this helps!

I was coerced into being an officer for my golf league this year. It's a large league (over 100 members) and has been around for many years.

The league currently does not have a website, and has used email in the past to communicate with its members. The process of tracking down members, trying to communicate, oh...I have a new email, oh...your email went to SPAM folder, etc. is very frustrating.

I would like to bring the league into the 21st century and setup a website for the league.

I am a complete noob in this area.

I played around with the "automagic" website creator on GoDaddy.com. It was pretty straight forward, but the "automagic" website have limited functionality.

As the cost to host the website will come out of the league treasury, we are not in a position to hire anybody to do this.

I have enough hardware and internet bandwidth at my house to host the site out of there.

What is the best way to approach this?

How do I approach this without it turning into a science project?

Do I go with a hosting service, or run out of my house?

Any other random question(s) that I should ask but am too much of a n00b to ask.

Thanks!

Before going through the process of setting up a web site, you need to check with your ISP and see IF they'll allow it (most won't).

I'd go to Sqarespace, make a website, and call it a day. Lots of ISPs have regulations regarding what you can/can't run regarding websites.

I just tried Squarespace...godaddy was much easier to use.

I'll try some of the other suggestions...stay tuned!

Don't kill me for asking this, but have you considered a using closed Facebook group for communications and announcements, and a google spreadsheet for standings?

Don't kill me for asking this, but have you considered a using closed Facebook group for communications and announcements, and a google spreadsheet for standings?

That's a great question...and a suggestion I had already considered.

To put things on context...I live in Florida. About 30%-ish of the league members are retired...and barely have a grasp on using email. Facebook and shared docs on Google? OMG - that would be like asking my ex-wife to be responsible with money!

Seriously though - I'm not sure how old you are - but have you ever tried to teach your parents and/or grandparents on how to use the internet? Pretty darn scary!

- - - Updated - - -

There are 2 ways to approach this - the cheap way (hosting by domain provider) & the expensive way (hosting using your own web server).

Let's talk about the cheap way first. You already bought a domain from Godaddy. Godaddy can host the domain website for you. You need to download first an ftp client (ex. SmartFTP) to upload your site files. You can then login to your FTP site & upload your site files. It's all up to you what kind of site you want to set up & files to upload (phpbb, phpnuke, wordpress, joomla, etc.). You also need to login to your site's Cpanel to get access to your site's database. Access info to FTP & Cpanel are all provided by Godaddy. Just google it so you'll learn how.

The expensive way is running a web server at home. It's expensive because you need to buy your own server machine (typically cost $200 & up excluding HDDs) but over time it's actually cheaper. Running a Wamp or Xampp server package on a desktop computer wont cut it as it's less secured (OK as offline test server only) & it's impossible to run a dedicated server machine 24/7 in it with close to (0%) downtime. You can build your own dedicated server machine (can get very expensive if you're now familiar with server components to get) or buy a NAS like those made by Synology, Qnap & Asustor that also function as a web server, mail server, multimedia streaming server, etc. Advantage of running a website using your own server machine is having total control of your website - you don't have bandwidth & storage limits. You can also fix things without going to customer support.

Happened to host a website at home for several years now using a Synology DS214play NAS. It's very easy if you know how - minimal html coding, networking & DNS knowledge needed. For now hence you're new to this, it's wise to just have it hosted by Godaddy.

I have servers in my house that run 24/7 for my TV DVR and other things. So hosting a site off them would not be that big of a deal.

How do I find access to the FTP link from GoDaddy? I'm poking around my account and profile and I can't find anything. Again, I am a complete n00b here.

Download & open an FTP client (SmartFTP, CuteFTP, etc. for example). On host address, type (ftp.nameofyourwebsite.com) & try to use your godaddy password. You can also try using the DNS Type A record (IP address) used by godaddy. On your godaddy settings, click on Domains then DNS Management. You can check the IP address from there. Open your FTP client & on host address, type (ftp.yoursiteipaddress) & use your godaddy password to login.

As far as server goes, it really depends on what kind of server set up you have. You can install FreeNAS to it but its not gonna be as feature rich as those used by Synology, Qnap or Asustor.

OK - I'll give that a shot.

I also have a QNAP TS-453A NAS in the house.

Yeah, I would argue that more members of the group will already have Facebook accounts than would be willing to learn how to make an account and log in to a new website.

I'm 64 and a lot of my friends are older. We have no problem getting on the internet and using FB or anything else like it. I'm pretty sure most of your group can handle it and you can coach the few who can't. Emails should work for just about everyone. Anyone who is too old to handle that probably can no longer golf either lol.

I'd recommend going with a budget shared hosting ($5-10 a month) that's reliable. SiteGround comes to mind, as I've been on them since the past 4-5 years. They also tend to get generally good reviews on forums & blogs, unlike a few more popular (but horrible, in my experience) brands like HostGator and BlueHost. For creating the actual website, nothing beats WordPress. You can use a free theme and using drag-and-drop WYSIWYG free page builders like Elementor, can create a killer website in no time without having to pay anybody.

A vps host will cost ~$5/month minimum. Unless you run a business acct with your provider, the auto dns feature will force you to use something like DynDNS so that the website's address doesn't change arbitrarily. To 'host' the site you must first have one created to begin with. Weebly and I'm sure other softwares and sites can aid you in creating one for free but in essence, to host one yourself you must first have one to host before you worry about the server it is hosted by, operating system etc.. Virtual machines are a good way to test your site using multiple test configurations without too much hassle. I would definitely recommend linux for resources but there are windows versions of course as well.
The whole purpose of paying someone is to get the uptime that is not reliant on your pc's uptime, incl. resources, and again to maintain the ip address.
https://www.ionos.com/websites/website-builder#packages
$3.35/m - https://www.ovh.com/world/vps/
$5/m - https://www.linode.com/pricing

Dolphin (https://www.boonex.com/) is software for social networking, is free, and works with virtual private servers. IE, you run the website that is actually hosted on a virtual server elsewhere.
I like the looks of this particular site: https://www.zx2c4.com/ and the way it works as well.
Bottom line to host and admin is gonna be a learning curve period. I'd try and look at other golf sites and see what they use for starters.

Back