• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my overclock stable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oropher3

I overclocked my EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 with 70 Mhz on the core and 200 Mhz on the memory.
I had some issues with some games crashing when i had the core at 89 Mhz.
With the 70 Mhz clock i passed the time spy stress test from 3dMark with a score of 99.7 %
I do not do voltage regulation, i just put the power limit to 115 % and set the max temp to 82 with the priority on temperature and unlinked.
Does this 3dmark result actually ensure i now have a 100 % stable overclock, or could i still run into issues ?
Also, is it possible that some games just crash on an overclock because the game engine cannot cope with an overclock, or is it allways an unstable overclock?

Thanks in advance,

Bart

You should just add as much voltage as you can. You cant damage it since the bios will restrict over voltage. For over clocking, you should slide temp and power limit to max, link them and prioritize temp limit. It wont even come close to the max temp as long as you can decent case flow.

A synthetic benchmark will never guarantee an over clock to be stable. Only way to make sure is to actually play and see if it crashes or anything.

And i dont know to much about game engine crashing from an over clock but i dont think so.

In the end, you wont do damage since the bios in the gpu wont let it. It sets a maximum voltage it can draw even if you tell it to pull more power. I have a similar card and i am able to get +175 on the core and +550 on memory. But i did notice that using an older driver let me get a higher over clock than using the most recent ones.

You should just add as much voltage as you can. You cant damage it since the bios will restrict over voltage. For over clocking, you should slide temp and power limit to max, link them and prioritize temp limit. It wont even come close to the max temp as long as you can decent case flow.

A synthetic benchmark will never guarantee an over clock to be stable. Only way to make sure is to actually play and see if it crashes or anything.

And i dont know to much about game engine crashing from an over clock but i dont think so.

In the end, you wont do damage since the bios in the gpu wont let it. It sets a maximum voltage it can draw even if you tell it to pull more power. I have a similar card and i am able to get +175 on the core and +550 on memory. But i did notice that using an older driver let me get a higher over clock than using the most recent ones.
I now have it on +100 Mhz with +22mV and +350 Mhz on the memory.
If i put the core clock on +115 Firestrike Ultra stress test instacrashes. Also when i up the amount of mV to 33.
I think i have come too close to the actual power limit.
In most games it now practically runs at 1506-1530 Mhz.

I am on the newest driver though.

Yeah before I had the old driver I was only able to get like 125 on core and 500 on memory. Memory should be able to go higher than that though. I found my card had a hard time with the core increases but loved memory increases. But you might be limited just by the silicone lottery. Maybe someone who knows more could chip in.

Yeah before I had the old driver I was only able to get like 125 on core and 500 on memory. Memory should be able to go higher than that though. I found my card had a hard time with the core increases but loved memory increases. But you might be limited just by the silicone lottery. Maybe someone who knows more could chip in.

But eh, you are telling me i can just safely set the voltage slider to 87 mV without any risk?
To me it feels kinda awkward to do such a thing.

Same here. But you shouldn't have any problems.

I just did put the voltage to the max. Still +100Mhz seems to be the sweet spot. When i touch 105 it artefacts and crashes.
When i look up the perfcap reason now, the reason for limiting is allways power....
So yeah, i allready hit the max power of the card...
What are the non-OC baseclocks of your card btw?

It has a of mode in OC guru. the boost is 1304 on the core and 7010 on the memory.

Have you OC the memory any more? I found the memory didn't really help max or avg fps but I did help with the minimums for some reason.

explains alot, the standard boost clock of my card is 1367.
No, i did not touch the memory any further.
I also would think that might increase the power draw even further...
Fps might be a bit higher when loading into a new area when overclocking the memory further.

It does increase power draw but from what I know it's separate from core clocks. You should be able to keep your core clocks while adding more memory. But if you happy then that's all that matters. Enjoy the oc

Deus ex mankind divided crashed again after more than an hour.
Prior to crash it was voltage related while voltage was on maximum, clock speeds increased just before the crash.
So i think i have to lower the voltage to avoid it trying to push the clocks too high, then saying it won't allow the voltage :p

The problem would be is that the clocks are too high. Not voltage. If you have an unstable oc, more voltage would remedy that. So slow it down a little more, keep voltage up

Back