• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

APU 7860K & 2 options of GB Board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcrvr4

Hey friends, I'm building an HTPC with the following components:

AMD A10 7860K FM2+ "Godavari" CPU (Quad Core, 3.6 GHz, AMD Radeon R7 757 MHz, 65 W)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...P48975&cm_re=7860k-_-9SIA2F84P48975-_-Product
Main use for a 43" Plasma with lots of BD films and only for light gaming when I desire.

RAM DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2X4GB 2400Mhz
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...m_re=corsair_ddr3_2400-_-20-233-605-_-Product
I understand that an APU has its performance greatly improved when using high-speed RAM.

3 Hard-drives
HGST Ultrastar 2TB
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&cm_re=hitachi_2tb-_-1Z4-001J-00029-_-Product
Seagate BarraCuda 1TB
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...9010&cm_re=seagate_1tb-_-22-179-010-_-Product
Seagate BarraCuda 500GB
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...11&cm_re=seagate_500gb-_-22-179-011-_-Product

ASUS DRW-24F1ST
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...7135305&cm_re=asus_dvd-_-27-135-305-_-Product

Now, I must decide between these two Mobos:
Gigabyte FM2+ mATX GA-F2A88XM-D3HP
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128894
Gigabyte FM2+ mATX GA-F2A68HM-H DDR3
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...763&cm_re=GA-F2A68HM-H-_-13-128-763-_-Product

Which would you recommend to properly OC the A10 7860K?
My intention is to spend the lowest budget possible, but I'd pick the F2A88XM if it is needed.

Also, I'm plugging a 5.1 Logitech Z506 Speakers
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...4185493&cm_re=z506-_-19S-001J-000V8-_-Product
The F2A88XM has 5 audio connections for a dedicated 5.1 system and the F2A68HM only 3 that I'd have to configure with the driver. Would it make some quality difference?

PSU
I need help to decide which wattage I need for this gear, with or without OC.

Case
I have to choose between two alternatives, one that contains 2 fans front/back of 120mm, the other having 3 fans, front/back of 120mm and side of 200mm. You can guess which one is slightly cheaper, but once again I'll get the right one for an OC.

I want to be certain and not configure risks, if these specs aren't enough I prefer not to mess with OC at all.

Any comment of you wise O'Clockers will be received with gratitude.

A 450 wattt PSU will more than meet your needs. Without a high powered video card, any PC will not need a large watt PSU. You are probably drawing less than 200 watts with the system you outline, overclocked or not.

But the bigger question is whether or not the case you choose requires a small form factor PSU. Can you give us the make and model of the two cases you are considering? Some mini ITX cases require small form factor PSUs. But since the motherboards you list are micro atx and not mini itx that apparently won't be an issue. Go with the F288XM motherboard. Has a better chipset and should be more rugged from an electronics standpoint plus better features like more usb ports, more memory slots, etc.

Even though you don't need much in the way of wattage from your PSU make sure you get a quality, small watt unit. Emphasis on quality. EVGA is a respected brand on this forum.

Last edited:
A 450 wattt PSU will more than meet your needs. Without a high powered video card, any PC will not need a large watt PSU. You are probably drawing less than 200 watts with the system you outline, overclocked or not.

But the bigger question is whether or not the case you choose requires a small form factor PSU. Can you give us the make and model of the two cases you are considering? Some mini ITX cases require small form factor PSUs. But since the motherboards you list are micro atx and not mini itx that apparently won't be an issue. Go with the F288XM motherboard. Has a better chipset and should be more rugged from an electronics standpoint plus better features like more usb ports, more memory slots, etc.

Even though you don't need much in the way of wattage from your PSU make sure you get a quality, small watt unit. Emphasis on quality. EVGA is a respected brand on this forum.
Thanks for your reply trents.
The cases are from a Brazilian local brand called PCYes!, considered to be averagely good for their prices.
According to this website, both requires the ATX form factor providing the largest availability of components in the market.

Java Case
http://www.pc-specs.com/case/PcYes/PcYes_Java_Gamer/1991
http://www.pcyes.com.br/produtos/gabinetes/java-gamer

Wolf Case
http://www.pc-specs.com/case/PcYes/PcYes_Wolf_Gamer/1761
http://www.pcyes.com.br/produtos/gabinetes/wolf-gamer

As you can see, the PSU is bottom mounted, following the modern standards of a Case build for better airflow.

Now lies the question of Fans:
The Java case comes with 2 fans of 120mm front/back and the Wolf case with 3 fans, front/back of 120mm and one side fan of 200mm.

I've been informed that an OC for my specs is not recommended, where I wouldn't achieved a great improvement in performance and would only add heat to an HTPC system that requires stability and silence.

Is the Wolf case with 3 fans optimized for my PC build or would it generate an unnecessary airflow that would only add extra dust on my components? So in that case, I'd pick the Java case with 2 fans.

Concerning the dust factor, it's hard to say not knowing the relative strengths of each fan in the placement scheme. Cases with "negative" air pressure (more air being moved by the exhausting fans than the intake fans) accumulate dust faster on the inside of the case. Cases with "positive" air pressure (more air being moved by the intake fans than the exhaust fans) tend to keep dust out. According to the web site description the wolf case has only one front fan so that would make it positive air pressure for sure.

And concerning the noise factor, again hard to say without knowing the specs of the fans themselves. Most of the time, cases that come with pre-installed fans place a priority on low noise unless they are being marketed as a gaming case. Also, unless the case is a very high end product, the fans are not likely to be quality fans. You might look at replacing them with your own hand-picked low noise fans.

With the Java case there is also a question about no 3.5" drive bays being in the description which the vendor indicates may be an error in the description. But I would certainly check that out further if you want to go with that case.

It's a pity they show no pictures of either case.

Last edited:
Concerning the dust factor, it's hard to say not knowing the relative strengths of each fan in the placement scheme. Cases with "negative" air pressure (more air being moved by the exhausting fans than the intake fans) accumulate dust faster on the inside of the case. Cases with "positive" air pressure (more air being moved by the intake fans than the exhaust fans) tend to keep dust out. According to the web site description the wolf case has only one front fan so that would make it positive air pressure for sure.

And concerning the noise factor, again hard to say without knowing the specs of the fans themselves. Most of the time, cases that come with pre-installed fans place a priority on low noise unless they are being marketed as a gaming case. Also, unless the case is a very high end product, the fans are not likely to be quality fans. You might look at replacing them with your own hand-picked low noise fans.

With the Java case there is also a question about no 3.5" drive bays being in the description which the vendor indicates may be an error in the description. But I would certainly check that out further if you want to go with that case.

It's a pity they show no pictures of either case.
I sent previously two links from the Offical website that has lots of photos of the cases.
The Java case has three drive bays of 3.5", two of 2.5" and two externals of 5.25".
http://www.pcyes.com.br/produtos/gabinetes/java-gamer

The Wolf case has four drive bays of 5.25", four of 3.5" and one 2.5" with the advantage of being tool-free and an extra fan of 200mm.
http://www.pcyes.com.br/produtos/gabinetes/wolf-gamer

Both of them have a good reserved space for Cable Management.
I believe the specs of the fans are close to this:

120mm Fan
- Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 25 mm
- Airflow: 60 CFM
- Voltage: 12 V
- RPM: 1700 RPM
- Bearing: Hydraulic
- Power connector: 3 Pins
- Cable length: 50 CM
- Noise level: 27.5 dB(A)
- Current: 0.25 A
- Rubber shock absorbers
- Power Startup: 7V

200mm Fan
- Dimensions: 200 x 30mm
- RPM: 700rpm
- Airflow: 110CFM
- Voltage: +12V
- Potency: 3,36W
- Current: 0,16A (0,28A Max)
- Bearing: Sleeve
- Noise level: 19dB
- Power connector: 3 pins (with rotation signal)
- Cable length: 42cm

How about adding some extra fan filters? Would the foam in it interfere with the airflow?

Fan filters always restrict air flow to some extent. How much depends on the particular filters. The more dust they keep out, the more they restrict airflow. It's a trade off so you need to make your own decisions about that.

Personally, I have an air compressor in my garage and I don't worry about dust in the computer. Every few months I haul it out to the garage and blow it out.

We definitely prefer you attach pictures with your posts rather than link websites. Use Windows Snipping Tool to crop and capture the images and then click on Go Advanced at the lower right corner of any new post window to attach them.

I think I like the looks of the wolf case better and the design. It looks sturdier.

Fan filters always restrict air flow to some extent. How much depends on the particular filters. The more dust they keep out, the more they restrict airflow. It's a trade off so you need to make your own decisions about that.

Personally, I have an air compressor in my garage and I don't worry about dust in the computer. Every few months I haul it out to the garage and blow it out.

We definitely prefer you attach pictures with your posts rather than link websites. Use Windows Snipping Tool to crop and capture the images and then click on Go Advanced at the lower right corner of any new post window to attach them.

I think I like the looks of the wolf case better and the design. It looks sturdier.

Hahahah that's an excellent idea, I'll manage to have one of my own and have this fun.
It definitely removes all dirt from that difficult spots a brush can't reach.

So what do you think OC my specs?

I'll dualboot my PC, Linux for main media playback use and daily internet activity that will not need an OC,
and a Windows system for occasional gaming that will definitely benefit with extras FPS from an OC.

I'd prefer not to mess in the BIOS because it's a small OC with no dedicated GPU and I could use the AMD OverDrive just for Windows.

Is there something requirable missing on my specs, like a better CPU Cooler or the stock one should be enough?

You need to create a "Sig" so that your system specs appear at the bottom of every post you make. You can look at mine for guidance as to what information we like to see. To create a Sig just go to the top of any page and click on Settings. Once in the Settings page look down the left side and click on "Edit Signature." That's the long and short of it.

You said, "So what do you think OC my sepcs?" I'm not sure what you are asking here. Are you asking me what I think of the overclocking potential of your hardware? Or have you already overclocked it and are asking me how well I think you did?

Do you have all your parts yet and is your system assembled? I'm not sure where you are with this build now.

I have the 88xm paired with an a8-7650k. It's a fine board, and would overclock just fine.
I personally have filters on everything - I'd rather vacuum off some filters than go through the nightmare of trying to get dust out of heatsinks.

You need to create a "Sig" so that your system specs appear at the bottom of every post you make. You can look at mine for guidance as to what information we like to see. To create a Sig just go to the top of any page and click on Settings. Once in the Settings page look down the left side and click on "Edit Signature." That's the long and short of it.

You said, "So what do you think OC my sepcs?" I'm not sure what you are asking here. Are you asking me what I think of the overclocking potential of your hardware? Or have you already overclocked it and are asking me how well I think you did?

Do you have all your parts yet and is your system assembled? I'm not sure where you are with this build now.
Done! I apologize for the lack of Sig to facilitate the users analysis.

What I meant was the overclock potential of the components I'm still deciding to build.

I previously posted:
"I'll dualboot my PC, Linux for main media playback use and daily internet activity that will not need an OC,
and a Windows system for occasional gaming that will definitely benefit with extras FPS from an OC.

I'd prefer not to mess in the BIOS because it's a small OC with no dedicated GPU and I could use the AMD OverDrive just for Windows."

Are the components in my Sig good to go stock-powered, do I need to add something more like a better CPU Cooler or aren't they enough to mess with an OC, so not recommendable?

I have the 88xm paired with an a8-7650k. It's a fine board, and would overclock just fine.
I personally have filters on everything - I'd rather vacuum off some filters than go through the nightmare of trying to get dust out of heatsinks.
Are you currently OCing this build?
Please share more details of this OC and Performance achieved.

Last edited:
I have it at 4.1ghz on the CPU side, and I think I keep the GPU at a conservative 800 or so. I'm just using the stock quiet cooler, so I don't push it too hard. If you are using this for an HTPC, I wouldn't try to beef up cooling too much - you don't want it to be super noisy.

Done! I apologize for the lack of Sig to facilitate the users analysis.

What I meant was the overclock potential of the components I'm still deciding to build.

I previously posted:
"I'll dualboot my PC, Linux for main media playback use and daily internet activity that will not need an OC,

I'd prefer not to mess in the BIOS because it's a small OC with no dedicated GPU and I could use the AMD OverDrive just for Windows."

Are the components in my Sig good to go stock-powered, do I need to add something more like a better CPU Cooler or aren't they enough to mess with an OC, so not recommendable?

Honestly, you're asking the wrong person when it comes to overclocking the AMD APUs. I simply have not had any hands on experience with them except at stock. I'll defer to others who have.

Back