• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-4790K + VII Hero, Temp readings between AIDA64 & HWiNFO64 - Which is correct?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morbid

Nitpicker
i7-4790K + VII Hero, Temp readings between AIDA64 & HWiNFO64 - Which is correct?

I'm not sure of a better place to ask this question so I thought I'd ask here.

Can anyone clarify for me which of these should be more accurate? I'm seeing a ~10c discrepancy between them as seen here:

What does realtemp or coretemp say?

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been away from this scene for a while and didn't know which ones were good anymore.

Looks like AIDA is the odd man out and shouldn't be monitored. Compared with HWiNFO, RealTemp, and CoreTemp - all three of which were within 1-2c of each other.

Not sure how I feel about 70C at stock settings with a 212 EVO, AS3, and Noctua NF-F12. Maybe it's average, not sure, but I'll probably be looking into all the nifty new water cooling options out there now (no longer have to piece it together yourself, what a time to be alive.)

are these temps while running aida64 or some other program?

Yes, it's at full load running AIDA64 FPU Stress. I know it's well under 90C but I guess I didn't realize how hot these chips ran stock. I figured it would be closer to the AIDA temperature reading honestly.

That's with an ambient case temperature of around 28C, where the CPU will also settle after a long idle duration.

Maybe I need to redo my thermal paste and re-seat the cooler. I've already cleaned it of dust recently when putting the Noctua's in a couple of weeks ago.

What vcore is your system pushing when under load. Some of these boards will push way more voltage than necessary when left on auto.

So I was just having another look and noticed that I was running at 4GHz the entire time (no turbo boost to 4.4) -- If I enabled turbo boost, it would hit 99C because I was on auto voltage where it would go to 1.25+

I went back into the BIOS and set manual CPU voltage to 1.1 and multi to 44. Now it's hitting 78-80C.

Back