• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions on my RyZen build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Before we start please pardon my poor English, if you couldn't understand a certain sentence please do ask me again.*

So I have plans in*building*a new PC based on RyZen or basically an entire build dedicated to AMD lol....( Yeah I'm a fan of AMD, so bite me, hate me, I don't care... )*
Anyways, I've asked suggestion from my local Retailers / Builders. Well my original budget is around 1600 - 1800$ USD ( Based on my currency converted to USD, though Hardware prices here are Overpriced AF compared to US / EU )*
This is what he offered me....do you think it's bit " Overkill " ? What I'm going to be using for it's Gaming and maybe some Gameplay streaming / recording, don't really have any real plans for heavy workloads though. Since I'm not a YouTuber, just doing gameplay videos for fun and such. Also I be gaming on 1440p

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x - RM2599
Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero AM4 - RM1300
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 PCIE SSD 250GB - RM720
Western Digital 2TB Black - RM581
Western Digital 1TB Blue - Free ( From current PC )*
SuperFlower Leadex II GOLD 650W - RM450 (Got white color or black color)
Corsair Vengeance CMU LED 16GB (8GB x 2) x2 - RM1350 ( Basically he meant by two 16GB Kits adding up total of 32GB of RAM @ 3000 - 3200mhz )*
Noctua NH-U14S - RM300 ( Single fan, have to fork out another RM 100 which is about*25 - 30$ USD for another A15 )*
Windows 10 Home Retail - RM 530
Phanteks EVOLV ATX T.G - RM 830
Sapphire Fury Nitro 4GB HBM - FREE ( Free from current PC*)*

Total : RM 8660 ( 1924$ USD )*

More or less should be around this price, this is*not including some extra Noctua fans and Sleeved Extension Cables.*
I maybe looking at around 2000$ USD if I were to include extra fans etc. *

Honestly I think the RAM is pretty good deal, for 32GB Kit at such high speed it's hard to find it for under RM 1500 ( 333$ USD )*
But I think the Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD is bit overkill don't you think ? I'm actually currently running on a Seasonic P860 860W Platinum PSU on my current system.*
Do you guys think I should re-use this Seasonic PSU on the new RyZen build instead ? But I will still need to get a new PSU for my current old PC, I'm thinking of giving my current PC to my Dad since his Dell pre-built it's way over 7 Years now....

Let's say if I were to get a new PSU for the RyZen build, how much Wattage would you suggest. Would you go with Platinum or Gold I feel its like a downgrade if I go with Gold instead...since I'm using Platinum at the moment.*

Well most games wont utilize more than 10 gigs of ram, so to save a couple bucks you dont really need 32 gbs of ram. Are you a fan of overclocking? Also, would you consider waiting for the 6 core versions since you dont really need 8/16 chips. Even then, you could save a couple bucks, get the 1700 and just overclock it as close as you can to 1800x speeds and get similar if not same performance.

As far as I am aware, seasonic psu's are supposed to be really good. I would consider using it unless your are going more than one gpu and a watercooled loop. Even then it would probably have enough power for it all.

This is all my opinions, I am no where near a professional when it comes to recommending stuff to buy. Other people will have better advice.

Well most games wont utilize more than 10 gigs of ram, so to save a couple bucks you dont really need 32 gbs of ram. Are you a fan of overclocking? Also, would you consider waiting for the 6 core versions since you dont really need 8/16 chips. Even then, you could save a couple bucks, get the 1700 and just overclock it as close as you can to 1800x speeds and get similar if not same performance.

As far as I am aware, seasonic psu's are supposed to be really good. I would consider using it unless your are going more than one gpu and a watercooled loop. Even then it would probably have enough power for it all.

This is all my opinions, I am no where near a professional when it comes to recommending stuff to buy. Other people will have better advice.

True I think the retailer suggesting 32GB is bit overkill. I think I will just get 16GB kit at the moment and maybe just upgrade in the future.
But RAM...is it even advisable combine RAM with different kits instead of buying a full kit. Basically is it ok for you to two 16GB kit and combine it becoming 32GB
Or it's better to just straight go for a single 32GB kit. As my experience go in the past, like my current 16GB RAM, both different 8GB kits so far it work without issue. But looking at CPU-Z the JDEC specs are different !
Even the XMP Profile...one is running on XMP 1.2 and another is XMP 1.3....

I'm not really a fan of OCing especially with RyZen it's so hard to OC and it's rather hot...( I know about the 20C Delta but we be seeing least over 60 - 70C on load I don't feel comfortable lol )

I'm still unsure which Mobo to get...I've compared the Crosshair VI Hero and Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5....the price difference is huge but feature wise not much.
All I see is extra USB and well a USB 3.1 Header for Front Panel I guess that's good for future case and the Crosshair VI Hero has his USB BIOS Flashback at the rear I'm not entirely sure what does this do I've never updated my BIOS before.

Are there any major difference between these two boards ? Do you guys think the Gaming 5 is a better choice ? Least based on my knowledge I think it is. But what's everyone's opinion on these two boards.

You can mix ram but I wouldnt if overclocking . But you can buy 2 of the same kits and they will work fine .
If you are not overclocking dont waste the $ on the C6 get a b350 and save 200$ .
Windows home retail can be found online (OEM version ) for 20-35$ us .
Do you need that second HDD ?
Do you really need a M.2 ssd a 850 evo woul save some $
I like the case
re-use your old psu
I know you dont plan on overclocking but it really isnt hard you could get the 1700 and bump it really easy to 3.7-3.8 and save 200$ again or get a r5 1600 when they come out next week .
if you get the 1700 it comes with a HSf
if you buy the Noctua NH-U12S you dont really need the second fan ( why not reuse the one from the old system )

You can mix ram but I wouldnt if overclocking . But you can buy 2 of the same kits and they will work fine .
If you are not overclocking dont waste the $ on the C6 get a b350 and save 200$ .
Windows home retail can be found online (OEM version ) for 20-35$ us .
Do you need that second HDD ?
Do you really need a M.2 ssd a 850 evo woul save some $
I like the case
re-use your old psu
I know you dont plan on overclocking but it really isnt hard you could get the 1700 and bump it really easy to 3.7-3.8 and save 200$ again or get a r5 1600 when they come out next week .
if you get the 1700 it comes with a HSf
if you buy the Noctua NH-U12S you dont really need the second fan ( why not reuse the one from the old system )

About the OEM Windows, wouldn't it be a problem if I were to change Mobo in future.
I thought OEM Windows are tied down to your Mobo, but many told me that you can bypass it, but how and how " solid " of a solution would it be ?

I'm getting most of the hardware new is because my current PC still works and I'm thinking of giving it to my Dad, since his Dell pre-built is like way over 7 Years old now...that freaking thing is still on DDr2 and a Core 2 Quad Q8600 I believe lol ? It bottlenecks the hell out of any GPU I throw at it even a HD 5830 lol !
Yeah I'm thinking that NVME SSD is just overkill suggested by the Retailer and I did bit of research, most of the games won't even benefit from a NVME SSD, I mean you do load faster on an SSD ( SATA ) compared to HDD. But SATA vs NVME SSD there isn't any difference.

If I were to re-use my old PSU. I would need a new one for my current old PC when I give it to my Dad.
Was wondering is 750W Gold - SuperFlower Leadex be enough. I maybe throwing in my old 290X Vapor-X 8GB in it too. So it's kinda power hungry.

I agree with the posts above.
32 gig is total overkill for most users, good deal or not.
You likely can Oc a 1700x chip to 3.8-3.9 on Air or wait on a 1500x/1400x.
Re use the Psu and buy a gold rated one for dad, the Platinum Psu is great is you're running the system 24/7 but not worth it if you're not.

About the OEM Windows, wouldn't it be a problem if I were to change Mobo in future.
I thought OEM Windows are tied down to your Mobo, but many told me that you can bypass it, but how and how " solid " of a solution would it be ? Yes but @ that price does it really matter ?

I'm getting most of the hardware new is because my current PC still works and I'm thinking of giving it to my Dad, since his Dell pre-built is like way over 7 Years old now...that freaking thing is still on DDr2 and a Core 2 Quad Q8600 I believe lol ? It bottlenecks the hell out of any GPU I throw at it even a HD 5830 lol !
Yeah I'm thinking that NVME SSD is just overkill suggested by the Retailer and I did bit of research, most of the games won't even benefit from a NVME SSD, I mean you do load faster on an SSD ( SATA ) compared to HDD. But SATA vs NVME SSD there isn't any difference.

If I were to re-use my old PSU. I would need a new one for my current old PC when I give it to my Dad. I have never heard of that psu you should look up review before picking it up
Was wondering is 750W Gold - SuperFlower Leadex be enough. I maybe throwing in my old 290X Vapor-X 8GB in it too. So it's kinda power hungry.

You never heard of SuperFlower before ?? They are the OEM for EVGA lol. They are one of the Top Tier 1 PSU manufacturers and their PSU are super cheap too compared to Seasonic / Corsair.
If Seasonic still exist here I would definitely get Seasonic but we no longer import them sadly. I don't really trust Corsair since now they are all made by CWT and Flextronic...
My friend had to RMA his RM850 PSU twice already. At first it died on him on the first week after purchase...then a Year later just recently it died on him again ! Took him over 2 Months to RMA it....
I got a feeling Corsair isn't as good as back in the days....back their both their AX and HX are top PSU, because they are all made by Seasonic...
What other brand does Flextronic produce PSU for anyways, I never actually heard of them before...

Yeah, SuperFlower is top notch. Them or EVGA are about all I care for now. Corsair gone to crap.

I would consider a drive setup more along the lines of:

Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD 500 GB
Deskstar NAS 4 TB

Much more cohesive, top notch speed and size. Also whats the use in buying new MB with cool new features if your not going to use any of them. Your prices are a good 20-25% or so higher than US though so that kind of sux.

I would highly recommend the 1700. Even with no OC considering what your doing I don't think you could see a real performance difference. It boosts to 3.7 compared to 4.0 for the 1800X. Even a small OC to 3.8 would put you even closer in non-gaming performance like encoding. For gaming, unless your 1440p at 144hz you will likely be getting more fps than you can use with either cpu.

I am planning a similar build here soon, except 1080ti bc obv reasons heh.

Last edited:
You never heard of SuperFlower before ?? They are the OEM for EVGA lol. They are one of the Top Tier 1 PSU manufacturers and their PSU are super cheap too compared to Seasonic / Corsair.
If Seasonic still exist here I would definitely get Seasonic but we no longer import them sadly. I don't really trust Corsair since now they are all made by CWT and Flextronic...
My friend had to RMA his RM850 PSU twice already. At first it died on him on the first week after purchase...then a Year later just recently it died on him again ! Took him over 2 Months to RMA it....
I got a feeling Corsair isn't as good as back in the days....back their both their AX and HX are top PSU, because they are all made by Seasonic...
What other brand does Flextronic produce PSU for anyways, I never actually heard of them before...

Nope never seen super flower in Canada I'm sure they exist just never heard of them

Nope never seen super flower in Canada I'm sure they exist just never heard of them

I think they are more popular here in Asia etc. As mentioned they are OEM for EVGA, so getting an EVGA is the same thing lol...
Make sure you get the P2 / G2 version. EVGA PS / GS if not mistaken are made by Seasonic which are good too of course.

Yeah, SuperFlower is top notch. Them or EVGA are about all I care for now. Corsair gone to crap.

I would consider a drive setup more along the lines of:

Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD 500 GB
Deskstar NAS 4 TB

Much more cohesive, top notch speed and size. Also whats the use in buying new MB with cool new features if your not going to use any of them. Your prices are a good 20-25% or so higher than US though so that kind of sux.

I would highly recommend the 1700. Even with no OC considering what your doing I don't think you could see a real performance difference. It boosts to 3.7 compared to 4.0 for the 1800X. Even a small OC to 3.8 would put you even closer in non-gaming performance like encoding. For gaming, unless your 1440p at 144hz you will likely be getting more fps than you can use with either cpu.

I am planning a similar build here soon, except 1080ti bc obv reasons heh.

Actually I was wondering. Should I separate my OS and game drive. Basically is it better that I get a maybe 128 - 256GB SSD just solely for OS / Programs etc.
And add in a bigger capacity SSD later on just to store my games ?

At first I was thinking why not just get a 500GB SSD, partition it. Maybe 100 ++ GB for OS / Programs and the rest for games. Is that ideal ?

I wouldn't overspend on a high-end 1800X/X370 combo. You can get a cheap 1700 with the same 8C/16T configuration and OC it fine with a cheap B350 mobo and cheap air cooling. My 1700 is running at 3.9 GHz on an ASRock AB350 Pro4 motherboard, cooled by my old Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with 16GB of inexpensive Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 running at 2933. Spending all that cash on an 1800X/X370 combo will only get you 100 to 200 MHz more, if that, so why spend another $170 on the CPU and $150 on a high-end X370 mobo? The ASRock B350 I have supports two M.2 drives, so you can get an NVMe drive for the OS and a 1TB M.2 SATA SSD drive for you games. And with the $320 you saved with the 1700/B350 combo, the 1TB SATA M.2 drive will be free.

I wouldn't overspend on a high-end 1800X/X370 combo. You can get a cheap 1700 with the same 8C/16T configuration and OC it fine with a cheap B350 mobo and cheap air cooling. My 1700 is running at 3.9 GHz on an ASRock AB350 Pro4 motherboard, cooled by my old Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with 16GB of inexpensive Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 running at 2933. Spending all that cash on an 1800X/X370 combo will only get you 100 to 200 MHz more, if that, so why spend another $170 on the CPU and $150 on a high-end X370 mobo? The ASRock B350 I have supports two M.2 drives, so you can get an NVMe drive for the OS and a 1TB M.2 SATA SSD drive for you games. And with the $320 you saved with the 1700/B350 combo, the 1TB SATA M.2 drive will be free.
This isn't a bad idea at all. To expand on Dave's point: honestly, you buy the 1800X for 1 of 2 reasons:

1) you want to get her frosty and want the highest binned chip to do so (extreme cooling/benching reasons)
2) you are sick of the fuss with OC'ing and just want to run it stock.

Actually I was wondering. Should I separate my OS and game drive. Basically is it better that I get a maybe 128 - 256GB SSD just solely for OS / Programs etc.
And add in a bigger capacity SSD later on just to store my games ?

At first I was thinking why not just get a 500GB SSD, partition it. Maybe 100 ++ GB for OS / Programs and the rest for games. Is that ideal ?

I would avoid partitions. They often lead to drive performance degradation and hassles if you have any serious OS issues.

I would avoid anything like a 128, it will put constraints on you fast. The rest really just comes down to price. A 256 GB NVMe OS/Boot + 500 GB SSD games + Storage drive vs 500 GB NVMe + Storage drive. Not like all games are going to perform terribly on a 7200 RPM drive. I only keep my most active and drive intense games on my SSD. My steam library is on storage and they load and play fine.

i just upgraded my ssd to a 500gb, and feel like it is finally enough room. I haven't even touched my 3tb hdd yet. going to set up an active system backup with it. 10 megs a second is fast for internet, but i can swap games into my ssd at 170 megs a second if it is pre installed on another drive. in fact, i have three installs of skyrim, one vanilla, one with known working mods, and one with experimental mod compilations. if i mess it up too bad, it is a quick reset to safe mode, delete folder in cdrive, and copy in the stock install setup.

Back