• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Evga 1070s: Why Such a Difference in Power Requirements From Card to Card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have HX850 from about the same time. If I'm right then real efficiency is higher. My HX850 was relabelled from 80+ Silver to 80+ Gold about half year after I purchased it and inside was exactly the same. In some reviews had ~92%+ efficiency. Btw. about 3 years ago I had water leak and water was dropping into this PSU. PSU only shut down, I dried it and was working again without issues. There are stains inside as water was dyed.
jonnyguru.com 83% maximum efficiency for Cosair HX620. LINK: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=21

I noticed some of Evga's 1070s (including my FTW version) have an 8 + 8 power connector. The brand new Titan card has an 8 + 6 and is listed as drawing 250W. That's really strange and makes me think the second power connector is completely unnecessary. Typically the only video cards ever to require two 8-pin connectors were the absolute top of the line cards in the series, and they were typically unlocked and highly overclocked.

Two 8 pin connectors are rated for 300W + 75W over the PCI-E bus. So 375W for a GTX 1070? LOL yea, that's excessive...

Back