• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I guess I'm back...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Stick to 14 and see how long it takes to pull down a work unit. Lol
Naw, running 12... CPU really doesn't pull too much in points tbh. That RX480 is doing the heavy lifting.

Speaking of the 480, what are you all seeing as far as GPU lifetimes if they are folding most of the time? Under 3 years or over?

F@H doesn't like certain thread counts, any odd number over 7 usually doesn't work unless its divisible by 3 or 5. 15 would work
15 does work, that what -1 sets it to. It might be choking out the GPU client cause my PPD was less than 300k estimated. I can try setting it back to -1 again and seeing how it behaves.

Well, 15 is indeed choking the GPU client as far as I can tell. My Estimated PPD has tanked today so I don't really know. Lost power twice, and Wake on lan still isn't working on my board, so I couldn't restart it as I wasn't home all day. After I finish this delayed GPU WU I will know for sure as it starts the next work unit.

So is this normal for GPU utilization?

Screenshot_20170405-183729.png

Seeing some dips, but only running 12 threads on the CPU. That leaves a total of (worst case, smt threads) 4 threads for the GPU.

Is there a way to fore process affinity for GPU/CPU? Short of manually doing it in task manager that is. I figure every time it will launch a different client program (wu etc) I will need to do it in task manager... Trying to avoid that. Would like to run the GPU on core0, and 15 CPU threads on core1-15

i wrote a small robot using c# that sets priorities every 30 minutes when cpu folding as well, I would try easing back on the cpu folding and see if your ppd increase some on the GPU.

Ill vouch for anyone that says cpus wont produce. my 5820k on 4 cores just gives an extra 3-5k every 3ish hours. Energy also, you could stop folding the cpu altogether, invest in a modern gpu and make up the cost on energy per point in short time.

if you want this app give me a shout i can send you source code.

Last edited:
i wrote a small robot using c# that sets priorities every 30 minutes when cpu folding as well, I would try easing back on the cpu folding and see if your ppd increase some on the GPU.

Ill vouch for anyone that says cpus wont produce. my 5820k on 4 cores just gives an extra 3-5k every 3ish hours. Energy also, you could stop folding the cpu altogether, invest in a modern gpu and make up the cost on energy per point in short time.

I'm a bit frustrated. I could easily do it via a bash script, but for Ryzen you really need a new kernel for support (4.9 w/ a backported patch, or 4.10) in Linux. AMD's closed source driver for GPU is targeted at the 4.4 kernel, with support for 4.8, neither of those work for Ryzen on the CPU. Kinda wish I went for an Nvidia card cause their Linux support is leaps and bounds better...

I might need to look into a powershell script to do it. Interestingly enough, looking at the GPU utilization, the GPU client seems to support multi-threaded​... It performs much better at 12 CPU threads for the CPU client, even with affinity set to reserve a full core for the GPU.

I really wanted to give AMD maximum revenue from my upgrade. They did a great job all things considered on Ryzen, and what better way to show your support for their work than buying both their CPU and GPU? Once I get my Ryzen upgrade paid off, I might add a second 480. Bought my upgrade on Newegg credit with interest free, so gotta pay that off before the terms expire.

I'm a bit frustrated. I could easily do it via a bash script, but for Ryzen you really need a new kernel for support (4.9 w/ a backported patch, or 4.10) in Linux. AMD's closed source driver for GPU is targeted at the 4.4 kernel, with support for 4.8, neither of those work for Ryzen on the CPU. Kinda wish I went for an Nvidia card cause their Linux support is leaps and bounds better...

I might need to look into a powershell script to do it. Interestingly enough, looking at the GPU utilization, the GPU client seems to support multi-threaded​... It performs much better at 12 CPU threads for the CPU client, even with affinity set to reserve a full core for the GPU.

I really wanted to give AMD maximum revenue from my upgrade. They did a great job all things considered on Ryzen, and what better way to show your support for their work than buying both their CPU and GPU? Once I get my Ryzen upgrade paid off, I might add a second 480. Bought my upgrade on Newegg credit with interest free, so gotta pay that off before the terms expire.

Are you getting any errors when folding on the rx480? Getting "Unknown_Enum 0x21" error, and I can't download the latest gpus.txt file from stanford to fix that. Page needs a login >.<.

Back