• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding Build #4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I use the 3M risers when I sli in my wall hanger rig and there are no issues with them, other than being about a hundred bucks each.
with the thermaltakes it's nothing but issues.

IMO, go with EZDIY's smaller x16 risers and get a open air rig here. The risers I got (that are out of stock) are much too big and the smaller ones are cheaper and would still do the trick.

I did order one of the shorter ones and I should have it by Friday (a holiday for me) to test.

That is a decent price for that open air setup. I might get one just to play around with. But I'm fairly handy. Search this sub-forum for the term hydra to see some pics of the mining rig I made. I also make open air benching stations for my daily driver. I should clean up my current station and post a picture of that. But getting one and finding a quiet corner at work, I could set up a nice folding rig. I think I could set it up in the maintenance room out of the way and as long as I let the maintenance guy know ahead of time, nobody would mind. Thanks for pointing it out!

Anyway, here is the riser I tried to use. As you can see, no shielding.

riser1.jpg

riser2.jpg

I did order one of the shorter ones and I should have it by Friday (a holiday for me) to test.

That is a decent price for that open air setup. I might get one just to play around with. But I'm fairly handy. Search this sub-forum for the term hydra to see some pics of the mining rig I made. I also make open air benching stations for my daily driver. I should clean up my current station and post a picture of that. But getting one and finding a quiet corner at work, I could set up a nice folding rig. I think I could set it up in the maintenance room out of the way and as long as I let the maintenance guy know ahead of time, nobody would mind. Thanks for pointing it out!

Anyway, here is the riser I tried to use. As you can see, no shielding.

You manufacture an open air bench? Got pics?

You manufacture an open air bench? Got pics?

Now that the forum is working again, here are a few pics of the last build in process. This was a 7 card mining/folding build. It never really panned out due to OS/board problems, but I did get 6 cards working with it eventually.

View attachment 167981

View attachment 167982

View attachment 167983

Also, I have neater/nicer builds, but none as nice as Navig does. And please excuse the background mess.

Edit: here is a build log for the general style of how I tend to build: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/631670-Sub-zero-benching-station

Last edited:
IMO, go with EZDIY's smaller x16 risers and get a open air rig here. The risers I got (that are out of stock) are much too big and the smaller ones are cheaper and would still do the trick.

Btw, I'm glad to report that these brand risers are working out just fine. I'm getting the full 300K PPD on the 970 card I've got plugged into one. Still have to mod the station to properly mount it, but it is working. Thank you for the pointer!

How is the full 16x length riser in comparison to those usb 1x devices?

Which metric are you looking to have compared? I was already having issues with 7970s not getting full production on 1x risers. I seem to be getting full production with a 970 getting its normal 300-330K production on this 16x 9cm long riser.

In regards to max potential PPD.

It seems almost too good to be true so I was skeptical on the 1x performance.

however, those black risers look like a quality item for its purpose.

In regards to max potential PPD.

It seems almost too good to be true so I was skeptical on the 1x performance.

however, those black risers look like a quality item for its purpose.

Yeah, 1x is not going to give you full production. This 16x riser right now on this 970 GTX card for WU 13204 (27, 8, 38) is TPF 2min 42 sec with a Base Credit of 13541, Estimated Credit of 60117, and Estimated PPD of 320625.

Back