• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

excess nvme access.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I just installed win10 to my new pny nvme ssd and a fresh install from a fresh usb stick.
as you can see pid #4 is the unit using the drive.
when I reinstall my sata ssd I don't have this, only with the nvme, I have swapped them in and out to confirm this.
when I got my first nvme drive I was reading about this issue others were having and the correction was a regedit change the informed the system that it was an ssd and not to do this but, I can't seem to find that information now.
any ideas on fixing this?

and happy spring break!!!!! I have had part A of my first spring break in years and will be going back for part B.

Attachments

• diskd.PNG
    diskd.PNG
    120 KB · Views: 130
I just installed win10 to my new pny nvme ssd and a fresh install from a fresh usb stick.
as you can see pid #4 is the unit using the drive.
when I reinstall my sata ssd I don't have this, only with the nvme, I have swapped them in and out to confirm this.
when I got my first nvme drive I was reading about this issue others were having and the correction was a regedit change the informed the system that it was an ssd and not to do this but, I can't seem to find that information now.
any ideas on fixing this?

and happy spring break!!!!! I have had part A of my first spring break in years and will be going back for part B.

Don't have what? I'm not clear on the problem but I hope you did not have other drives connected to the motherboard when you installed Windows on what you wanted to be the system drive.

I don't have the issue with the sata ssd, only the nvme ssd.
the problem is that the nvme is always being accessed, written to, even after hours of up time.
I installed with only the nvme installed.

No idea, unless it might be a bios issue or something wrong with the nvme itself. Doe the nvme work okay in another computer?

put it inplace of the Sammy nvme in one of my z97 asrock extreme9 boards after driver installs it booted fine and did not keep the hdd light on nor did it show the constant writes.
put it back in the x99 board, and when all was reinstalled it's being written to all the time again.

So the problem is not with the nvme it's with the board or the bios.

I would be interested to see if you used another nvme, even another brand, if you would get the same behavior on that board.

this one system is always writing to the one nvme, it keeps the hdd light on.
it doesn't do this with a sata ssd.

Does your drive have drivers at its website (some do, some dont).

Can you drill down further in system and see what's doing it? Like what file in system/pid4 it is?

I will try to drill further down into what service is doing this when I get a little time.
I am using an asus X99-AII motherboard.

pny has no drivers and for some reason the intel IRST will not install.
what I have done is hooked up 8 rigs to their own screens, I have seven monitors and 2 tvs in my office.
I have them all on and idle at the desktop with resource monitor open and they all do this, writing 100 Kb sometimes as high as 500Kb, just like the screenshot in post #1 and it's all pid #4, system that is doing it.
all the hdd leds flicker once in a while, with the sata, 2.5 ssd even plant vogtels hdd led is basicly un lit, when I plug in the pny nvme drive into plant vogtel the hdd led stays lit just like the power led, even if I'm booted from the sata drive.
when I install a Samsung nvme it stays lit all the time also.
so the real issue is that the hdd stays lit when I have an nvme drive installed in my asus x99-aII motherboard.

Winten uninstalled my Intel IRST during one of its frequent updates and now when I try to reinstall it, it black screens after the reboot. I have to do a system restore to get it to boot again and that system I restored it to doesn't have IRST on it :(

Try the latest version of IRST as there was a compatibility issue with earlier versions as Winten was morphing into what it is today.

I have confirmed that it does light the hdd activity light on both of my z97 boards, the hdd light on those cases can not be seen with the office lights on but, leave a rig on and turn off the lights and they are lit and flicker about every 3-5 seconds just like the x99 rig.
none of them do this with a samsung 960 evo installed.

This might not be the issue, but I have found win10 to be just this resource hog if you don't turn off all background tasks, and it seems you have to do this after some of the updates, as it resets background tasks to on for some unknown reason. Might just be some settings you have changed on each install of win10.

On a side note, I noticed some functions of windows update won't work unless windows firewall is in use, as I run Norton (don't judge) it normally stays off, but when I go to update I have to turn it (windows firewall) on.

Back