• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Wont start?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twiggz

So, bought a new case for my PC and moved everything over to the new one and only added 3 4tb HDDs. I turned it on the first time and it died quickly, but I realized I forgot to put in the CPU power cable haha. So I fixed that and started it up and it ran for like 5 minutes and died again, I turned it on several times, but it would immediately flicker off before even booting. Now the thing is just completely dead. I even replaced the PSU and still the PC does absolutely nothing now. I'm confused.

take the mobo back out of the case, put it on a mobo box/etc and try starting it up again. sounds like something is shorting

I bet I know what it is, the case came with standoffs preinstalled. I bet there is an extra one touching the mobo somewhere under there. I'll see.

I bet I know what it is, the case came with standoffs preinstalled. I bet there is an extra one touching the mobo somewhere under there. I'll see.

That often is the cause. Check and double check the number and positions of the standoffs with regard to the mounting holes in the motherboard.

Nope, nothing I can see was touching it and even took the mobo off the case, still nothing, absolutely nothing

I would suspect the motherboard is toast but I would also swap out the PSU before doing an RMA.

Also, what about cooling? Are you using air or water? If water, make sure the pump is plugged into power and is circulating coolant. If air, make sure the fan is plugged into the CPU fan header and is turning. With either water or air, make sure the heat sink/water block is making good contact with the CPU lid.

Yea, I think it is toast too, before it stopped I checked CPU fan it was spinning. I'll just replace mobo. Thanks

OK the new motherboard came in, so I took the old one out and found a SATA cable that had kinda melted on the motherboard side. I traced it back and it seems to have went to the front panel of the new computer case. So, I just clipped it off and installed the new motherboard like usual (not sure what that cable was for??). The computer still wont start, doesn't do anything at all. I now have replaced the PSU, Motherboard, and even put a new air cooler on the CPU when I swapped it over. I also tried swapping the reset and power switches and tried touching the two power pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver and nothing. What do I do now?

First things first: find which parts work. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-power-up-an-ATX-Power-Supply-without-a-PC/?ALLSTEPS will show you how to test your psu by jumping the green wire with any black.

Throwing your cpu into another board that is known to work to test it. Perhaps your board was DOA so try an known working cpu. It will be trial and error to find which piece is not working. I would try the psu first because you need no spare equipment. Once the psu is confirmed working, then test the board, cpu and ram in whatever order is cheapest/most convenient. Good luck :)

Yea IK it is annoying, i'm at work now so i'll have to test when I get back home later. All parts where known to work before this stupid case(Rosewill BlackHawk). Thanks for the link it has been like 4 years since I tried testing a PSU. I'll give a test and let you know. I highly doubt whatever is going on is related to the RAM or CPU and I'm not even using a Video Card. Also, is there any other good way to bypass a case power switch other than what I tried already?

Also, is there any other good way to bypass a case power switch other than what I tried already?

Not that I know of; just make sure you are jumping the right pins as they are different on different motherboards.

I figured it out.. Right as I was about to throw the whole thing in the yard too :D. I never would have guessed this, but all my PSU's are modular and it turns out I had 2 SATA power cables running out that did not belong (looked like they did). Also, I didn't realize I had to fully d/c power from the computer and wait a moment in between testing different components. So things that tested OK a moment ago were not working now, it was very upsetting, I just kinda figured it out. All I had to do was use the right cables and viola. Unfortunately though two of my hard drives aren't working. Guess they got fried from using wrong power cable :(

The drives wont even spin up? Possible the file system is just broken? Tried to reinstall or look at them in diskpart from the recovery console? Glad you got it figured out though :)

Are you saying you had two SATA cables plugged into the wrong sockets on the modular PSU? I would think that would be difficult to do. The various sockets on a modular PSU have distinct patterns and won't allow the wrong cable to be plugged in.

But it is probably true that it's not a good idea to do a "hot plug" power up of a SATA drive when the system is running. But I would think more often than not you could do it and not hurt anything.

Are you saying you had two SATA cables plugged into the wrong sockets on the modular PSU? I would think that would be difficult to do. The various sockets on a modular PSU have distinct patterns and won't allow the wrong cable to be plugged in.

But it is probably true that it's not a good idea to do a "hot plug" power up of a SATA drive when the system is running. But I would think more often than not you could do it and not hurt anything.

I am serial "hotplugger" from way back and have yet to kill a drive in the process...

I am serial "hotplugger" from way back and have yet to kill a drive in the process...
In addition to this, you seemed to say your psu would not power on while the plugs were incorrect. Your drives are possibly damaged, but its much more likely that they are just unhappy with something that hasnt been checked yet.

Correct, the SATA power cables have a certain amount of pins that wont allow you to use anything else. I was talking about how if you look at the ends of the pins they didn't match. Example; some were 6 pins with only 1 empty pin in the bottom left, while some where 6 pins with 2 empty pins, one was s 6 pin with a middle dead pin, but clearly they were all designed to power SATA drives. So.. I must have had them mix matched. When I used all the same type, everything worked perfectly.... Except my Bios didn't recognize two drives. just weren't there. I changed SATA slots and power connectors and swapped drives around and concluded those 2 drives were just dead now.

I am not able to follow the logic of this Twiggz. All PSU SATA power connectors should have the same pin configuration. Please take pictures of what you are trying to explain and attach them with a post using the Go Advanced button at the lower right corner of any new post window.

All three of these cables are modular cables and all supply SATA drives power. All 3 are different. IMG_2374.JPG

I cant say I can think of a legitimate reason for that. Was it bought new? Thats a pretty hefty QC issue. I still hope to your drives are alright. If the psu wouldnt fire with the wrong connector in place then there should be no issue. But there is so... good luck I guess.

Back