• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this why Ryzen is having problems with higher RAM frequencies?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I saw that score and thought something wasn't right so ran one the same settings. I think you're throttling or something LRG5. Disregard the voltage it's not even close nor sure why CPUz is so far off.

x265 demo.JPG

Just wanted to give this a bump and show that 32 GB will work with samsung single sided B die 4x8GB. This was too easy for the ram all I did was set the frequencies/timings up to 2666 then BCLK to 3200 all voltages on auto except core and SOC which is 1.1V

Aida 32gb 3200 14 13.JPG
RB 174049.JPG
x265 11.29.JPG

Just wanted to give this a bump and show that 32 GB will work with samsung single sided B die 4x8GB. This was too easy for the ram all I did was set the frequencies/timings up to 2666 then BCLK to 3200 all voltages on auto except core and SOC which is 1.1V

View attachment 190514
View attachment 190515
View attachment 190516

Interesting, I couldn't make my kits to work above 2666 on X370-Pro Prime when I used 4 sticks. Maybe new AGESA will fix it as memory clearly can make it and mobo too but you've used 2666+bclk.

That's why I said it's interesting as using only memory ratio, 4 memory sticks are not working above 2666 on my board and there is no bclk option. Johan set 3200 using 4 sticks but as he said, memory ratio was at 2666 + ~120 bclk.
I don't think it's hardware limit but more like something with current CPU/chipset microcode and higher memory support will be probably added in future AGESA update.
On the other hand I was counting on higher bandwidth difference between 2 and 4 memory modules and I see almost only ~+5GB/s memory copy.

I have the same asus Prime x370 pro, as you and I am hoping asus next BIOS update we get the 3600 MHZ and the base clock option.

If I have time today Woomack I'll see if it'll work on divider only. Pretty sure it did but I wanted the tighter subs.

Running Ryzen7 1700x at stock setting (3700MHZ) and ram at 3200MHZ 15,16,16,34 with a latency of 63.65ns is this good for a 24/7 memory setting or is it a little tight.

Your memory timing will depend on what the memory is capable of. Loose or tight will depend on the memory you are using, don't listen to others.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the same asus Prime x370 pro, as you and I am hoping asus next BIOS update we get the 3600 MHZ and the base clock option.

Base clock option will never happen, you should upgrade now.

You're right Woomack about the 2933-3200 dividers and 4x8 GB. The only way I could get them to work was CL 18+.
I also managed to get 3800 to work on 2x8 sticks but only once. I couldn't get windows to start after that.

3200 strap 32g.JPG
3800 cl18 3200 strap.JPG

Still nice max clock. IMC isn't scalling as good as I was expecting. Well, there is 5-7GB/s more than at 3200 but latency is without big changes and copy is about the same as at lower clock. Something is missing. Would be nice to see that stable at 4000.

Your memory timing will depend on what the memory is capable of. Loose or tight will depend on the memory you are using, don't listen to others.

- - - Updated - - -

Not with ryzen the sub timmings are set by the mb and what ram divider you are using . So even if you have nice fast ram with low timmings and unless you use blclk to raise your ram you will be stuck using what ever the mb company chose for 3200/3600 or what ever speed you are trying to use .

Indeed :) .

R7 1700 - C6H (UEFI 0081) - F4-3200C14D-16GTZ - BCLK 100MHz - 14-14-14-14-34 manually set.

Ryzen does not natively support base clock modifications, then would need an external clockgen to do so. If you are waiting on base clock adjustments, I'd say stop waiting, and start saving for the C6H.

Ryzen does not need a BCLK gen chip ;) , see this post by The Stilt. The BioStar GT7 has received an updated UEFI with BCLK adjustment :) , still quirky though :eek: , link.

Last edited:
It still makes me wonder if it can fully support bclk or there are other issues what cause motherboard manufacturers not to add bclk option in BIOS ( besides that no one would buy some of the top X370 boards ). ASUS Prime X370-Pro has bclk option described in the manual but it's not available in official BIOS ( and there is no beta available ). Also early BIOS releases had long timing list in BIOS. I didn't check if it's working and flashing to these earlier releases may cause bricking the BIOS so I'm not going to try that ( again ).

Last edited:
The base-clock (BCLK)

Overclocking the base clock (BCLK) on AM4 platform is possible, however generally not recommended. This is due to its frequency relations with other interfaces, such as the PCIe. Unlike with Intel's more recent CPUs, there is no asynchronous mode (straps / gears) available, which would allow stepping down the PCIe frequency at certain intervals. The PCIe frequency relation is fixed and therefore it increases at the same rate with the BCLK. Gen. 3 operation can generally be sustained up to ~107MHz frequency and higher speeds will usually require forcing the links to either Gen. 2 or to Gen. 1 modes.

Unstable PCIe can cause various issues, such as system crashes, data corruption (M.2 SSDs), graphical artifacts and various kinds of other undefined behavior.

There are still things we are trying to figure out like AMD reps said that high memory clock above 3200 is the best for Ryzen perfomance but somehow there are no motherboards which are officially supporting more than 3200. So you use bclk option or there will be BIOS update with higher memory ratios.

It still makes me wonder if it can fully support bclk or there are other issues what cause motherboard manufacturers not to add bclk option in BIOS ( besides that no one would buy some of the top X370 boards ). ASUS Prime X370-Pro has bclk option described in the manual but it's not available in official BIOS ( and there is no beta available ). Also early BIOS releases had long timing list in BIOS. I didn't check if it's working and flashing to these earlier releases may cause bricking the BIOS so I'm not going to try that ( again ).

No idea :-/ .

@readers

Post 55 contained some screenies of subtimings. tRFC is being read back incorrectly, this case may not be limited to C6H. So if members can chime in be great to know.

Here is the bug as explained by The Stilt in the context of Asus Crosshair VI Hero.

tRFC isn't too tight by default, it is just read wrong by the bios and most of the softwares when 1DPC configuration is used and DIMMs are placed to A2 & B2 slots. AGESA configures tRFC based on the values programmed to the SPD.

E.G. at 3200MHz MEMCLK most Samsung B-die based modules will use 560/416/256 CLK or 350/260/160ns (tRFC/tRFC2/tRFC4) instead of the 312/192/132 displayed by the bios.

AIDA64 can display the tRFC correctly since version 5.90.4242 and the issue will be fixed in the upcoming release of HWInfo too (haven't actually checked if a build containing this fix is already available).

When DIMMs are placed in A1 & B1 slots, or all slots are populated the bios will display correct values.

There are still things we are trying to figure out like AMD reps said that high memory clock above 3200 is the best for Ryzen perfomance but somehow there are no motherboards which are officially supporting more than 3200. So you use bclk option or there will be BIOS update with higher memory ratios.

The C6H received a beta UEFI with AGESA 1.0.0.6 and WOW. 2x R7 1700 I have both stomped 3466MHz, 3508MHz was MAX I got with mild BCLK tweak on 3466MHz strap. As I was aiming to use stock like VDIMM, I got 16-16-16-16-36-560-416-256-2T, probably could have lowered tRFC but time was against me. I may have a replay ;) . Currently using 3333MHz/strap with 2800MHz subtimings and 14-14-14-14-34-560-416-256-1T. Hoping to read a great review of some B-Die on a Ryzen with new AGESA by yourself ;) . Always found your RAM reviews/threads great to ref in the past ;) .

Last edited:
I have 5 Samsung B kits at home but my current X370 board doesn't have updated BIOS. I will make some tests when I get new BIOS. Maybe I will get something new for review but hard to say what and when. I know there will be something new from RGB series ( can't say what and when ) but I have no idea what IC will be used in these kits. Right now I can't afford new memory kits which are way to expensive but if I was looking for a new kit then it would be something 2x16GB and these are in sick prices.

Back