• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 390x or GTX 980 2k17?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yonah

Hello, I got a good deal to get both cards relatively cheap and about the same price so I'm looking for an opinion on what do you think I should go for? The 390x is sapphire nitro and the 980 is asus dc2oc strix.
Tbh I'm kind of more into 390x because it has higher memory bandwidth, more vram (for example doom needs 5gb vram for even being able to set on the max settings, gta5 uses a lot of vram and many games today require a lot of it) and I'm into skyrim modding and modding in general so I think I'd be good having more vram and 4gb just doesn't seem to do the job nowdays. I also looked up at the user benchmark and seen that gtx 980 is approximately 3% faster and I haven't seen that much difference on youtube either (390x wins in some games 980 in the others) but all videos are with the old drivers so I'm not sure. I'm gaming on 1080p but I'd be using DSR/VSR to upscale to 1440p in the games that I can get 60+fps and 980 doesn't seem a lot faster. How good OC potential do cards have and which one of them runs hotter? Do both of them DX12 (and 12_1 or whatever) and which runs it better? Which one of them do you think would be more future proof? Poll link here http://www.strawpoll.me/12703972 . Also AMD has relive now which is good (IMO). I'm running 4790k on 4,6ghz, 20GB ram, 500gb SSD, 1080p60hz monitor, integrated gpu until I decide, lol.
Thanks in advance

I would go with the r9. I own a 390 (non x) and it has been an amazing card, and I agree that the extra ram is nice to have.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still not underestimating the oc potential of the GTX 980. I think it has more heardroom for OC, but on the other hand Imo the R9 has more vram and is more future proof due to better DX12 and vulkan performance so Idk. I'll just wait a little bit to see more people's thoughts.
EDIT: Forgot to ask if the GTX 980 supports async compute?

Last edited:
Neither? Why not a gtx 1060 or a rx480? Modern, more power efficient and just as fast really.

For 1080p, I wouldn't worry about memory bandwidth...not until 4k would that factor in my mind (assuming 256bit).

Thanks for the reply. I can get them both even cheaper but I've told you I'd use VSR/DSR to upscale games to even 4k sometimes and I like a lot of AA generally. I'm not sure either of those cards can match GTX 980/R9 390x based on the benchmarks I'm looking at.

Sounds like you want more than the cards can get deliver.. those arent 4k scaling cards in many titles...

Id get a 1070 then since the others are a bit slower and because you are scaling to 4k and pouring on AA otherwise...

Sounds like you want more than the cards can get deliver.. those arent 4k scaling cards in many titles...

Id get a 1070 then since the others are a bit slower and because you are scaling to 4k and pouring on AA otherwise...

Thanks again, I guess you're right and none of the cards actually suffice so I'll save up for a 1080 ti.

Back