• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help figuring out how to fabricate a TV mount for my PS4 kiosks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JCE3000GT

I come back here because this site is full of resourceful and genius peoples. :) I have two PlayStation 4 kiosks and I’m about to go crazy because I wasn’t able to get the TV mounts with them because they are bespoke and custom made for these kiosks so a standard TV mount will not do. I’m not drilling holes in to it simply because of; a) hurts the value and b) won’t be structurally sound due to the thickness of the steel. I was able to get my contact that I got these from to take down the TV from a live working unit in the store so I could get a picture of what the mount looked like and needless to say I’m in trouble if I cannot figure something out. I’ll attach the picture of the mount. Since this is a current generation console parts are non-existent since I am only the second person that I know of that's posted they own one/them online. I went to Lowe’s and looked at the different hardware but I don’t really even know what the hell I’m doing because I am not creative nor skilled with fabrication and such so I desperately need help. Wife wants them out of the formal dining room but I didn't want to move these ~100lb+ things up the stairs without even seeing if I'm going to be able to use them. :-/

My original topic/posts are here if you want to see pictures of the units themselves.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-a-PS4-shell?p=7997470&viewfull=1#post7997470

Attachments

• IMG_4965b.JPG
    IMG_4965b.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 601
Just to make certain I understand correctly: you did not get the mounting hardware with the kiosk, cant get it, and you intend to use your own screen which uses standard mounting methods (VESA) which is not compatible with the kiosk? To recap: you need to adapt a standard VESA mount to your kiosk?

This thread over at OCN has a nice VESA template. Truly excellent. I would consider making a VESA mount out of wood/plexiglass (if you go plexi then make sure to use Lexan: This thread will tell you more about plexit)). You can customize the size of the VESA mountplate to accomodate attaching the other parts that will connect to the kiosk. For The rest of your mount there are a few options depending on your budget.

1) The best option is to just get one custom made by a fabrication shop. A local welding shop might even be willing to take on the work if you can explain it to them well enough. At the very least the welding shop will be able to tell you which fabrication shops around town might be able to do that kind of work. Likely to be expensive

2) quick and dirty. https://www.amazon.com/Galvanized-P...1825136&sr=8-3&keywords=galvanized+pipe+strap I call this stuff "metal duct tape" because its almost as versatile. Low cost, but probably the ugliest option.

3) Finish fabricating your mount from wood or Lexan. This option takes the most elbow grease and though, but will probably be the most satisfying for the eye and the wallet. If you go this route you could even add retainer clips for leds or other fancy stuff.

Best of luck, I cant wait to see what you come up with! :thup:

Edit: There is also an ad in the Classifieds under Services for a fellow that says he can make damn near anything. Check it out :)

Last edited:
Just to make certain I understand correctly: you did not get the mounting hardware with the kiosk, cant get it, and you intend to use your own screen which uses standard mounting methods (VESA) which is not compatible with the kiosk? To recap: you need to adapt a standard VESA mount to your kiosk?

Thank you for the reply. Yes, this is correct.

This thread over at OCN has a nice VESA template. Truly excellent. I would consider making a VESA mount out of wood/plexiglass (if you go plexi then make sure to use Lexan: This thread will tell you more about plexit)). You can customize the size of the VESA mountplate to accomodate attaching the other parts that will connect to the kiosk. For The rest of your mount there are a few options depending on your budget.

Would aluminum or some lighter steel be more study? Also, I don't want the TV to stick too far out horizontally from the kiosk, does that make sense? I think the wood would be too thick in order to give it the structure I needed for sturdiness. I'm paranoid about the TV falling...

I'll check out those links.

1) The best option is to just get one custom made by a fabrication shop. A local welding shop might even be willing to take on the work if you can explain it to them well enough. At the very least the welding shop will be able to tell you which fabrication shops around town might be able to do that kind of work. Likely to be expensive

Yea, probably a couple hundred. Ideally this would be the best solution but the most expensive.

2) quick and dirty. https://www.amazon.com/Galvanized-P...1825136&sr=8-3&keywords=galvanized+pipe+strap I call this stuff "metal duct tape" because its almost as versatile. Low cost, but probably the ugliest option.

Doesn't look sturdy enough for a 60~100lb TV. And yes, ugly. LOL Also, since I'm not drilling in to the kiosk there's no way to mount this to the kiosk in order to mount the TV to that "metal duct tape". Make sense?

3) Finish fabricating your mount from wood or Lexan. This option takes the most elbow grease and though, but will probably be the most satisfying for the eye and the wallet. If you go this route you could even add retainer clips for leds or other fancy stuff.

How study is lexan going to be?

Best of luck, I cant wait to see what you come up with! :thup:

Edit: There is also an ad in the Classifieds under Services for a fellow that says he can make damn near anything. Check it out :)

Appreciate the tips. I'll update the thread if I come up with a solution or if I gave up. I'm still open for other ideas I can explore!

Would aluminum or some lighter steel be more study?
Yes it would but is harder to work with for a home project. If you are comfortable with those materials and have the tools then that would be the way to go. I just assumed that those were out of the picture because cutting/welding metal are a bit of a specialty. Local hardware stores might carry varying sizes of plate metals that would be usefull to you but you would still at a minimum need to be able to mark and drill it (those tools can probably be had at the same store). That is not really my area of expertise though. I generally try to figure out a way to use wood because it is cheaper and easier to cut/glue/etc.

Yea, probably a couple hundred. Ideally this would be the best solution but the most expensive.
Thats what I was thinking. But if that is a direction you are willing to go, fabricators are really good at taking a basic idea and getting it to work. It takes a special kind of smarts to be work in that area and I have never been dissapoint. My wallet has cried though :)

Doesn't look sturdy enough for a 60~100lb TV. And yes, ugly. LOL Also, since I'm not drilling in to the kiosk there's no way to mount this to the kiosk in order to mount the TV to that "metal duct tape". Make sense?

This is kind of where imagination and your time and ability will make all the difference. I can be stron and it doesnt have to be ugly. My projects spend alot of time in this middle ground because I hate to spend. I am getting better at producing good looking results though. Here is a for instance based on guesses that might not pan out:
IMG_4789.JPG

If there is an opening at the top by the red arrows you can: cut a block of wood to match the front of the panel (where the PS logo is) and attach the metal duck tape to that block (securely) -> run the strap down to the blue arrow, behind the original panel and through the top by the red arrow -> wrap the strap around and attach (securely) to the top of your cut board. If you are worried about strength you can double/triple the straps to accommodate the weight. The strap is already sturdy, but enough layers of it will hold damn near anything (like duct tape :) ) You now have a panel that you can drill into in any way without damaging the original kiosk. But its ugly you say? Yep. :) However you can paint the straps, stain the board and add foam for cushion to stop noise or abrasions on the original panel. Then it wont be ugly anymore.

Worried that the weight of the TV will make the kiosk tip forward? A line of strap from your board to an anchor hook in the wall behind it will prevent any tipping also :)

Without the paint and all the rest you might be out $10/15 and a couple hours of your time. The more you embellish the more time and money you will need to add. Im not trying to push an option on you that you dont want, Im just trying to point out 1 way it might be accomplished.

How study is lexan going to be?
Lexan comes in a few different thicknesses and can be quite strong. It can also be doubled up to increase its strength. There are plenty of epoxy solutions out there that will weld plastic with fantastic strength (This one is rated for 4400 PSI). Making something from Lexan though would still be limited by your ability to cut/glue/work with the material. This option would take testing and safety nets until you are sure you have the appropriate design to hold the weight .

I'm still open for other ideas I can explore!

Im still hoping that some other folks will bring in some other thoughts as well, just from a standpoint of curiosity. Good luck with your project and be sure to bring in some picks of the final product! :)

Thank you knoober, I'll reply when I get in front a computer. Replying on a phone sucks. LOL

After looking at some ps4 kiosks on Google, I guess the next question is "How big"? What size TV are you looking to put up there? If the same size screen as the original is your goal it will be harder to hide the mounting system. I don't know how much of the back board you'll be looking to cover.

I'm going to just use a Sony 32" TV just like what was on there by default. Not sure what I want to do. I know I'm 100% ****ty when it comes to this stuff (fabrication and imagination). LOL

OK, then we have just the original gap to work with/hide mounts. I'm searching VESA mounts to see if I can find anything that will mount to the structure in your picture and come up through the gap behind the front board. :thup:

So we need a VESA mount that can be attached to the area in the red oval and project the TV mount through the gap marked by a red "X" is what I think I see, possibly necessitating a mount that curves to hide the vertical portion. Is that right?
ps4 ocf.jpg

So we need a VESA mount that can be attached to the area in the red oval and project the TV mount through the gap marked by a red "X" is what I think I see, possibly necessitating a mount that curves to hide the vertical portion. Is that right?
View attachment 190528

Actually the TV mounts to this horizontal bar. You'll see on the front view the two verticals holes above it, the hooks from the mount go through that to mount on that. Also there are no holes at the very top so this space is all I have to work with. Hopefully I can find a non-drill solution. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4973.JPG
    IMG_4973.JPG
    830 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_4972.JPG
    IMG_4972.JPG
    994.7 KB · Views: 428
Do you have the measurement between the two vertical pieces? (not including the horizontal piece thickness) And the hole spacing on the mounting holes (vertical piece)

Do you have the measurement between the two vertical pieces? (not including the horizontal piece thickness) And the hole spacing on the mounting holes (vertical piece)

I'll try and get that for you in the next day or so. Are those the only measurements you need?

Last edited:
So far I'm looking at something like these https://www.amazon.com/ECHOGEAR-Art...=1-27-spons&keywords=desktop+VESA+mount&psc=1 (Looks strongest)

https://www.amazon.com/HIPPO-HP679T...=1-29-spons&keywords=desktop+VESA+mount&psc=1

With turning the mounting plate (wall side) perpendicular to the display rather than parallel, and bolting it to the vertical supports, using the bolt holes already there for the horizontal brace. That may require some drilling in the mounting holes, but not in the kiosk supports. It looks like you can adjust the horizontal brace farther in and leave it in place for support. That's my best (best=easy/cheap) solution so far for a fix that won't A) Modify the kiosk, and B) Not drop your TV on the kiosk/floor/oh damnit pile.

Otherwise a clamp type desk mount with a block of wood behind the horizontal brace. That will require cutting some wood, but leaves out drilling any metal, but won't be as sturdy, IMO.

I'll try and get that for you in the next day or so. Are those the only measurements you need?

Completely forgot to do this... I'll get to it soon.

So far I'm looking at something like these https://www.amazon.com/ECHOGEAR-Art...=1-27-spons&keywords=desktop+VESA+mount&psc=1 (Looks strongest)

https://www.amazon.com/HIPPO-HP679T...=1-29-spons&keywords=desktop+VESA+mount&psc=1

With turning the mounting plate (wall side) perpendicular to the display rather than parallel, and bolting it to the vertical supports, using the bolt holes already there for the horizontal brace. That may require some drilling in the mounting holes, but not in the kiosk supports. It looks like you can adjust the horizontal brace farther in and leave it in place for support. That's my best (best=easy/cheap) solution so far for a fix that won't A) Modify the kiosk, and B) Not drop your TV on the kiosk/floor/oh damnit pile.

Otherwise a clamp type desk mount with a block of wood behind the horizontal brace. That will require cutting some wood, but leaves out drilling any metal, but won't be as sturdy, IMO.

Thanks for the above. I'll add that to my final list of options. Any option that doesn't involve drilling is definitely preferred. :)

Wondering if there was any resolution / solution to this that worked? I too have the same kiosk i just picked up and trying to figure it out thank you!

random thought.

small led tvs that would fit the size requirement hardly weigh any thing, why not find some one to 3d print you something in a stronger plastic?
ABS would work i would thing, as long as it was gusseted properly

To me that looks like a standard mount for a large TV. If not, drill up an "adapter plate" or pay someone to do it for you.

I come back here because this site is full of resourceful and genius peoples. :) I have two PlayStation 4 kiosks and I’m about to go crazy because I wasn’t able to get the TV mounts with them because they are bespoke and custom made for these kiosks so a standard TV mount will not do. I’m not drilling holes in to it simply because of; a) hurts the value and b) won’t be structurally sound due to the thickness of the steel. I was able to get my contact that I got these from to take down the TV from a live working unit in the store so I could get a picture of what the mount looked like and needless to say I’m in trouble if I cannot figure something out. I’ll attach the picture of the mount. Since this is a current generation console parts are non-existent since I am only the second person that I know of that's posted they own one/them online. I went to Lowe’s and looked at the different hardware but I don’t really even know what the hell I’m doing because I am not creative nor skilled with fabrication and such so I desperately need help. Wife wants them out of the formal dining room but I didn't want to move these ~100lb+ things up the stairs without even seeing if I'm going to be able to use them. :-/

My original topic/posts are here if you want to see pictures of the units themselves.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-a-PS4-shell?p=7997470&viewfull=1#post7997470
Hello I am currently in the process of having the tv mounts made. I fabricated exact duplicates of the Nintendo switch kiosk brackets and have begun on the ps4. This will include these tv brackets. If anyone is interested let me know.

Back