• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Couple questions about my newly assembled loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R_Pierce

Alright guys, as some of you know I just finished up my first custom loop. Im pretty happy with the way it came out. But I do have a couple of questions.

The motherboard has a water temp in and out monitor. Im using the In side to monitor water temps. Should I just set my radiator fans at a set point based on water temperature (I would have to manually monitor and gather data on that, as the BIOS doesnt allow me to do that) rather than having them ramp up and down with CPU temperature, as Im not sure that really matters does it? I mean, the water isnt going to be super cooled instantly all of the sudden because the fans ramped up, correct?

And lastly, the pump I have is a PWM pump, but it runs at 100% all of the time. (The water pump header on the motherboard has no control except for 100% apparently) Should I move this to another port, and if so, what is the recommended pump speed? Should I also scale that based on water temperature? So far, the hottest water temp I have personally noticed in HWinfo64 was 33*c while benchmarking.

Thanks in advance,
Rodney

Try setting up a fan curve based on the water temps. I'm not sure how the BIOS/Software is configured in doing so but try and setting it up based on water temp so you get a slow gradual change and not a rapid one with say the CPU temp. For example, a water temp curve from 30c to 35c, could ramp up the fans from 30% to 100% fan speed.

The same can be applied to the pump. Check and see what settings you might have missed on the pump header's features.

Try setting up a fan curve based on the water temps. I'm not sure how the BIOS/Software is configured in doing so but try and setting it up based on water temp so you get a slow gradual change and not a rapid one with say the CPU temp. For example, a water temp curve from 30c to 35c, could ramp up the fans from 30% to 100% fan speed.

The same can be applied to the pump. Check and see what settings you might have missed on the pump header's features.

Thank you sir! My water temp actually rarely gets above 35*c. I saw it at a peak of 37*c the other day, but that was after running about an hours worth of Catzilla benchmark with some pretty high GPU clocks. So, I set the fans at a constant speed that was noise friendly and it seems to be working fine.

Now, the water pump header is only a constant speed header after some more digging. I could move the pump to the HAMP output which is Q fan enabled. (its still a 3 amp 36 watt header). BUT, would there be a benefit to running the pump at less than full speed?? Im assuming, outside of the pump actually heating up the water a little bit, that there wouldnt really be a difference?

Back