• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking AMD FX 8350, prime95 error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChemicalJ

Hi all, new member here. So I weighed the options and decided to upgrade the ol' rig instead of a new build and wanted to start overclocking the cpu. Although I actually haven't even gotten to the overclocking part, I've run into issues with prime95 at baseline.

My current specs are:
MOBO: ASROCK 770icafe (w/ latest BIOS update that supports the AMD FX 8000 series processors)
CPU: AMD FX 8350
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070
RAM: 2x8 (16GB) PNY Anarchy 1866 mhz DDR3 (although I'm pretty sure my system reverts to 1600 mhz by default)
PSU: be quiet! Dark Power pro 11 650W
HD: Samsung 850 EVO SSD

I've also got the Corsair h100i v2 liquid cooling system installed.

The system runs very well, I haven't had any issues in everyday use or playing games and the gaming benchmarks are fine but obviously could be better. I began looking into overclocking and downloaded some programs; prime95, CPUZ and hardware monitor. I checked the baseline stats for my system and everything appeared normal, I had the latest drivers and updates for everything. However, running prime95 fails a CPU core immediately whenever I run it. I'm new to this but browsing the forums and googling the issue didn't give me results I felt confident enough to use so I figured I'd ask. Here's the given error message.

worker stopped.png

So I repeated the test a few times, it's not always worker #6 but most of the time it is. Also in this screenshot the rounding error is huge, it's usually just above 4 like 4.8 or 4.7. Temps are fine, CPU hasn't risen above 41-42 C

cpuid.png

Any ideas? :p

that does not look like it's going to live long with that cpu, let's not over clock it please.
the power section of the board is much too weak.

I was hoping it wouldn't be an issue but I think I got the idea >_>

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't think it was going to be issue based on the mobo's specs; supports 140w cpu and is on the cpu support list but I'll take the advice here over that then.

If you look at the core clocks and cpu usage the numbers are all over the place. That is a terrible sign. If you are in the USA I would spend the $90 and get an ASUS Gaming Aura and problem solved.

I appreciate the suggestion, that sounds like the best plan in this case.

Technically, that CPU is compatible with that motherboard. In other words, it will run but not at full capacity. The motherboard manufacturers are deceptive in my opinion when it comes to these scenarios where you have a budget board running a big gun power hungry AMD FX CPU. The VRM (voltage regulation module) of those cheap motherboards are just not up to the challenge so the motherboard downclocks some of the CPU cores in order to keep from frying the VRM.

- - - Updated - - -

Common mistake "Supported" usually means "it runs" not "overclock your heart out" ;)

Or a MSI M5A99x Evo R2.0, always an overclockers favorite.[/QUOTE]

Asus you mean. And I'm not even sure that board is up to the challenge. Personally, I would go fro a Sabertooth if I could at all afford it.

I didn't think it was going to be issue based on the mobo's specs; supports 140w cpu and is on the cpu support list but I'll take the advice here over that then.

Common mistake "Supported" usually means "it runs" not "overclock your heart out" ;)

If you are in the USA I would spend the $90 and get an ASUS Gaming Aura and problem solved.

Or a ASUS M5A99x Evo R2.0, always an overclockers favorite.

I was hoping it wouldn't be an issue but I think I got the idea >_>

- - - Updated - - -

It is very, very deceptive. Also a 8350 can actually draw 200 watts under load with a decent overclock. Your board even at stock clock fails running Prime 95. A good rule of thumb is that MIcroATX and AM3 or AM3+ isn't a good fit. Many ATX boards are crappy too. But if you do a little research you can get a good board for relatively cheap.

Wow thank you everyone for the quick feedback! My rig is a bit on the older side and it was a budget build a few years ago. I got a good deal on some parts and I thought my rig could handle the full upgrade but I'm glad I didn't take it further. Thanks, I'll check back after I get that new motherboard.

none of us mean to dog you or your rig.
the manufacturers out and out lie about these boards supporting the eight core cpus, many will........for a while, and in my book that's an out and out lie.
the other option is to trade the 8350 for a 6300 if your software doesn't use all 8 cores of the 8350.
for clocking the 8 cores the asus sabertooth and crosshair 5 formula z are about it.

if you want a $100 upgrade look for a thuban, 1090T or 1100T on the used market, they are better in most cases than fx.

At this point I would rather just get the motherboard and call it a day, it seems like less of a hassle. Unless of course it's going to be a giant hassle down the line...

depends on what you do with the rig.
a better board is always a good idea any way you look at it.

I use it mostly for everyday things, gaming, and some video editing, so the extra cores would be useful for rendering. Also, I didn't take it as you guys dogging on my rig, I'm serious I know I'm a noob here and the advice is taken to heart lol. Thanks, really.

I have the AMD 970 Pro Gaming board there fairly cheap and easily overclocked to 4.6ghz fx-8350 on air, and the bios settings are pretty simple to do as well. Using a Cooler master EVO 212 with dual Cooler master sickleflow 120mm and honestly I am super impressed! It runs very smooth! There is a ton of threads in here as well how to easily overclock upwards of 4.6 as well but IDK if I would or not on air... might step the game up to water to get past that point.

You needs good cooling like a NH-D15 or the likes and a really good chip to go 4.7ghz or above (on air) and even then it should be right on the edge. Ex one of my old rigs :

FX-8370, 4.7ghz 1.44v
Noctua NH-D15S
Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0
2x8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866mhz CL9
Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6gb
Crucial M4-CT064M4SSD2 64gb
SanDisk SDSSDP064G 64gb
WD10EZEX 7200rpm 1TB
Corsair TX750
NZXT S340 - AF140-LED x3 - AF120-LED x1

170715105948.jpg

170715110003.jpg