• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

not sure if i need to mod my case to keep it cool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so heres the situation. i recently picked up a free computer case, it looks like it might be an old rack mount server case but cant be sure. any how im wondering if i need to or if i should mod the case for airflow. from the looks of the case theres no open holes for a case fan theres only the motherboard io Slots and the place for the PSU. there is however a sliding door in the front that provides access to the power and reset switch below are pix of the case took the pics the day i received the case what do you guys think also what are my options will be putting a socket 775 MOBO in here alongside an over clocked E8400 cpu and a GTX 7950 GX2 GPU

php42tamvPM.jpg phpEQXXa5PM.jpg phpO7VuO0PM.jpg

Good morning,

First of all, considering you are using older hardware, I would say you'd get enough airflow to be fine.

However, my recommendation would be to mod the case to allow at least a 80mm(120mm if space allows) intake fan in the front. Then replace the PCI slot covers with vented ones, and that will provide enough pass through. Alternatively, depending on case location and position of use, you can always put intakes on the side of the case instead of the front.

I would only use that case if I had no other options. It is in fact a rack mount drawer. If you do decide to use it I would recommend at least 2x 120mm intake fans and a 120mm or 140mm exhaust fan. Could you get by with less? Well, that would depend on the ambient temps in the room.

Well... I guess make due with what you have then? How are you going to add more fans without tools or money to buy them?

if i can get a hole saw or borrow one i can use it to drill holes for the case fans

i cant afford a case even a cheap one i got this one for free cuz im strapped for cash
Set up your rig in the drawer but dont put it in the case? Then save for a cheap-ish case?

Min. requirements for cutting a hole in the case is a drill abd a hacksaw (or any other fine toothed saw that will cut metal). And those will still do an ugly job. How ugly? It depends on your skill with the drill and saw I guess, but ugly :) The cost of a cheap drill and saw probably isnt much less than a cheap case that will look much nicer and might be designed in a more pleasant way for your needs. Then you can mod that rack in the future when you have more money and tools. Good luck though

Set up your rig in the drawer but dont put it in the case? Then save for a cheap-ish case?

Min. requirements for cutting a hole in the case is a drill abd a hacksaw (or any other fine toothed saw that will cut metal). And those will still do an ugly job. How ugly? It depends on your skill with the drill and saw I guess, but ugly :) The cost of a cheap drill and saw probably isnt much less than a cheap case that will look much nicer and might be designed in a more pleasant way for your needs. Then you can mod that rack in the future when you have more money and tools. Good luck though

i dont have a dawr i got this rack mount case for free because i needed a case for my pc build as i cant afford a case was just gonna sit this on the floor next to my desk

Drawer or motherboard tray or whatever its got. Just do not completely assemble the case and there will be more air available to your components. I would only consider that as a temporary solution though. So you have 3 options :

1) run with the case open

2) buy tools and mod

3) buy new case.

Its not an enviable position when you are broke, but that's about all I can see for you. Good luck again :)

Drawer or motherboard tray or whatever its got. Just do not completely assemble the case and there will be more air available to your components. I would only consider that as a temporary solution though. So you have 3 options :

1) run with the case open

2) buy tools and mod

3) buy new case.

Its not an enviable position when you are broke, but that's about all I can see for you. Good luck again :)

thanks my friend i do have some spare elmer's foam core board lying around i could mod that as the top of the case using velcro to secure it to the case it would allow me to easily add and secure cooling case fans via zip ties

Another option is to just run the system without the case. It's what us benchers call bread boarding. We swap parts out so often it doesn't make sense to take the time to mount it in a case. You can run you system right on a box or slab of wood (i.e. breadboard).

Here's a couple of older pics to pique your interest.

image_id_1308971.jpeg

20150425_001256.jpg

20150516_105059.jpg

Back