• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crosshair VI with 702 bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Wicker Man

So, my Crosshair still has the 702 bios, I wanted to wait a while to update if it ran stable, I didnt want to attempt any overclock or anything, just default settings.

The newest bios listed is 1002, THIS is the ram I am running, could there be an issue with it?? (I dont foresee one, but it never hurts to ask..)

So, my question, is there a chance of bricking updating the bios?? I mean more then normal? I realize anything can go wrong but I dont really wanna have to RMA it....heh

So I was going to format a USB stick, and use that, but, not in the BIOS usb port on the back, just use a case usb port, is this advisable?? I thought I read the one on the back was for trying to recover when there is an issue...

Thanks in advance...

You want to update your bios ASAP. The brick issue is with ANY bios older than 09xx (don't know the specific bios version) but it can happen without even flashing the bios. Update now please!

0902 is the BIOS that fixed the bricking issue. And Blue is right -- you can just do a restart in Windows and the board could brick itself. You don't even have to change BIOS settings or anything.

1002 includes the bricking fix plus some other bug fixes.

Like Blue I recommend flashing to a new BIOS ASAP.

Done, surprisingly painless, I didnt realize it could brick just rebooting. Now ill start working on the ram speed.....

Thanks again

To add on the memory topic, Ripjaws are mostly Hynix based chips. Samsung based chips are not having as much issues. Updated BIOS should get rid of the issue, but that will take some time.

Here's a link to the newest BIOS not available at ASUS quite yet. Updated microcode and some DRAM/performance improvements. If you'd like to try it. Like I said it's not official yet but comes from the source and soon will be.
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...ir VI overclocking thread - Page 744&txt=0079

Thanks 3 day weekend coming up, I will play a bit....:D

- - - Updated - - -

To add on the memory topic, Ripjaws are mostly Hynix based chips. Samsung based chips are not having as much issues. Updated BIOS should get rid of the issue, but that will take some time.

I wish I could tell without taking the spreaders off, I have read about them using either or...

I bumped the ram to 2400, gonna test a bunch and try to go some more...

Back