• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i5 6600K Overclocking after Bios update, need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JayFx2

Registered
Hello, I have an i5 6600k with a gigabyte z170 gaming 7 mobo. The original bios was F6 and when I overclocked by cpu using the Auto overclock to 4.4ghz it was working. I even try 4.5Ghz and it works. I didn't touch the voltage and kept it stock. I then flash my mobo to F21, so it can support 7th gen series when I decide to upgrade. When overclocking the cpu again using auto overclock to 4.4Ghz I get BSOD. Before the bios update it was able to 4.4g-4.5ghz. now with the f21 bios I cannot achieve those results as before. If anyone has the same mobo and cpu, can you tell me what was the original voltage that previos bios were at and what is the voltage I need to get those speeds again. Thanks

I would try 1.332v for 4.5GHz on the i5 6600k.

I have it at 1.260v @ 4.5Ghz. I ran Cinebench and it it did not bsod. Is it safe to have the voltage at what I set it at instead of what you mention?

Edit: I ran prime95 and got bsod. Bsod on prime95 with 1.335v

Last edited:
When you run Prime95 are you looking at 1.332v peak with using HWmonitor?

I set the vcore at 1.335 in bios but HWmonitor shows a little bit less than what I put. I don't wanna set a high voltage just to get a stable test at prime95. I heard prime95 makes cpu temps higher than it usually is, so I try to use Aida64. Right now I've just set it at stock clock/voltage until I can find that sweet spot.

I use Dynamic DVID so the core voltage will adjust to load and clock speed. Example HWmontor shows running Pime95 1.332v peak and gaming also RealBench shows 1.284v peak. I can run anything on my PC without fail.

I have it at 1.260v @ 4.5Ghz. I ran Cinebench and it it did not bsod. Is it safe to have the voltage at what I set it at instead of what you mention?

Edit: I ran prime95 and got bsod. Bsod on prime95 with 1.335v

Yes, it will take a lot more core voltage to pass Prime95 than it does to successfully run Cinebench. And it certainly does not mean you will be stable in daily use just because you don't BSOD when running Cinebench. But what version of Prime95 are you running? The latest version with AVX2 instructions is difficulty to pass when the CPU is near the limit of it's overclock range. Try version 27.7 which has AVX1 instructions, gives a fairly robust stress test but will run on less vcore than the latest Prime95 versions. Most folks around here will tell you you can safely go up to about 1.4 vcore for 24/7 if cooling permits.

I had a stable system on F20 with 'Easy Overclock' to the highest i7-6700K option in the list.
Yesterday I updated to F21 and with the same 'Easy Overclock' of ANY kind results in an unstable system. Random reboots, BSODS and all that.
I turned off the overclock and everything runs smoothely on AUTO. So there appears to be something wrong with the EASY OVERCLOCK settings in the latest F21 BIOS. I hope they fix it. For now I'll try a few custom overclock settings but I'd prefer the lazy way!
----
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7
Intel i7-6700K
Trident 2x8GB 3200Mhz Ram, XMP Profile 1.
Samsung 950PRO - 256GB NVMe M.2 drive Primary
Samsung 850EVO - 500GB SSD Secondary
Gigabyte G1 GTX970
#Gigabyte Aorus 1080 TI Xtreme Edition is going in tonight possibly.

I just updated to the F21 BIOS today using the QFLASH update utility located in the BIOS. I'm assuming the voltage adjustments they made were significant since my computer has experienced 2 blue screens in the span of 3 hours, just from watching videos, using the exact same overclock settings that I used on the F20 BIOS.

I reverted back to the F20 BIOS since then.

Overclock settings used:
Auto-overclock to 4.4ghz (setting located in BIOS)
Manual Ram speed 2400mhz, auto timings.
That's it.

i5 6600k cpu
8GB x 2 DDR4 ram

I had a stable system on F20 with 'Easy Overclock' to the highest i7-6700K option in the list.
Yesterday I updated to F21 and with the same 'Easy Overclock' of ANY kind results in an unstable system. Random reboots, BSODS and all that.
I turned off the overclock and everything runs smoothely on AUTO. So there appears to be something wrong with the EASY OVERCLOCK settings in the latest F21 BIOS. I hope they fix it. For now I'll try a few custom overclock settings but I'd prefer the lazy way!
----
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7
Intel i7-6700K
Trident 2x8GB 3200Mhz Ram, XMP Profile 1.
Samsung 950PRO - 256GB NVMe M.2 drive Primary
Samsung 850EVO - 500GB SSD Secondary
Gigabyte G1 GTX970
#Gigabyte Aorus 1080 TI Xtreme Edition is going in tonight possibly.

That's why we never recommend using bios overclock genies. Overclock it manually.

That's why we never recommend using bios overclock genies. Overclock it manually.

Before this, I've always found the auto-tune settings in the BIOS to be reliable. The auto-tune genies in windows however,.......... lol

The ones in bios usually are reliable but they also usually assign considerably more voltage than is necessary to generate stability (an heat along with it).

The ones in bios usually are reliable but they also usually assign considerably more voltage than is necessary to generate stability (an heat along with it).

I'll agree to that. I monitored the voltages for the auto-tuned 4.4ghz on the i5 6600k and they were very safe. Temps never surpassed 55C even while gaming. Not sure about the adjusted voltages in the F21 BIOS updates however. I'm guessing they cut it back a little bit which ironically now causes instability (from what I've read here, and another forum in regards to this update).

F21 killed my overclock too. I couldn't get anywhere near my old overclock on the cpu and my ram wouldn't go over 2133. Back to F7 and all is well. Manually overclocked, not auto. F21 just didnt play nice for me.

I updated to F21 and had a few problems. The first problem was Gigabyte recalibrated the CPU VID output scale lower when using Dynamic DVID or stock. They went from VID of 1.287v F6 Bios to 1.178v F21 Bios, so I had to set my DVID from +0.070v to +0.160v to achieve 1.332v Vcore. The second problem was when loading CPU-Z or HWmonitor it took 2 minutes to open, I fixed that by reflashing the Bios twice.

So after a month I'm very happy with the F21 Bios update and maybe will upgrade to i5 7600k soon.

Last edited:
Can anyone with a stable oc post their settings on the latest BIOS please?
I think you won't get a lot of input here.
Posting settings is useless because every cpu acts different, so it's really up to you to do a trail and error.... Maybe people could help you out with some starting point but most of the time start with everything on auto and see what the values are it gives you a start

Back