• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Ryzen 5 1500X and 1600X CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Coming in swiftly behind its big brother we have Ryzen 5. This is AMD's offering for the more budget-minded PC user. Today we'll be looking at the hex-core 1600X and the quad-core 1500X. These CPUs both have the XFR technology we've seen from the Ryzen 7 1800X and 1700X allowing for boost speeds over their typical max. Without further adieu, on to the main show.

Click here to view the article.

Nice write-up ATM! I'd say the real winner is the 1500X. That price/performance at stock setting is most impressive.

If a person is gonna run stock, the 1500X wins here. You could buy a much bigger GFX card with those savings!

Nice to see AMD pulling it together again. If I hadn't already upgraded to Skylake I'd probably would've ended up grabbing a 1600.

AMD certainly seems to have delivered this time around with the Ryzen 5 CPUs. On top once again. But for how long?

Excellent review as all ways Mr. INSIDE. The 1600x for dismalDIRGE's build is ready for pickup from MC along with an ASUS Prime X370 Pro. :D

Yes, very well done review. Makes it easy to compare apples with apples and oranges with oranges.

As of now, the Wraith Spire is included only with the R7 1700. Strikes me as odd they only bundle it with that one CPU. Is the Max available yet?

Last edited:
The spire comes with the 1500X and the 1500 and 1600 (non X) It's right there in that awesome review...

Okay, I was looking at a NewEgg promotion for the 1600X and it said it didn't come with the fan or cooler. So it comes with the others.

Excellent review as all ways Mr. INSIDE. The 1600x for dismalDIRGE's build is ready for pickup from MC along with an ASUS Prime X370 Pro. :D

Sounds like a nice finish to that build!

Nicely done. One of the best write ups for AMD RyZen around!

Means a lot, thanks Shrimp!

Yes, very well done review. Makes it easy to compare apples with apples and oranges with oranges.

As of now, the Wraith Spire is included only with the R7 1700. Strikes me as odd they only bundle it with that one CPU. Is the Max available yet?

Haven't heard anything about availability of the Max.

IIRC AMD said in the Max was only for OEMs and not for sale for normal folks. I think I recall reading that when they introduced the new wraith coolers. I remember some not being happy on Reddit about it.

Okay, I was looking at a NewEgg promotion for the 1600X and it said it didn't come with the fan or cooler. So it comes with the others.

Correct. 1600 X does not come with a heat sink. However most overclocking enthusiasts would probably replace it with something bigger or liquid cooling.

Very well written. I like the breakdown of instruction set advantages in the test results. The nuts and bolts part didn't lose me, which is saying something! :thup:

Back