• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still on time for RX Vega april 18th? I'm itching to see its performance!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

I'm literally itching to see what it can do. Only 6 days left!

Anyone who nabs one should post here how it performs :) I really want to know :X

Somehow I'm not expecting it will beat GTX1080Ti but I expect it to offer something above standard which can improve with future drivers. I just hope that price will be reasonable as FURY/X price was ridiculous and sales just confirmed it.

I heard something about end of April mixed with "maybe will be delay" news. I also heard that first we will see RX500 series based on rebranded and a bit corrected RX400. So far I see leaks about first RX580 but no word about new top AMD GPU but who knows, there were barely any news about Ryzen too ( I mean except leaks from 1 website reposted by half of the interwebs ).

It was just announced today that the RX500s will release April 18th. This is just Polaris 20 and not Vega.

Vega is.... unknown.

Will we see a price drop on the current RX480 8GB cards I was putting some money a side and selling my 7850 2GB towards one currently there about £210 + DEL just wondering if they would maybe hit around £175

Will we see a price drop on the current RX480 8GB cards I was putting some money a side and selling my 7850 2GB towards one currently there about £210 + DEL just wondering if they would maybe hit around £175

That would be nice. The 480 is still a great card for 1080p. Less expensive would make it the deal of the century, sort of. LOL And might force the cost of the GTX 1060 down some, as well. This really is a great year for GPUs.

And they launched!

And its not much better!

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/RX_580_Nitro_Plus/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11278/amd-radeon-rx-580-rx-570-review

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3190...ard-you-can-buy-under-200-barely-changed.html

So much for competing with gtx 1080's this round.

And now the wait for RX Vega to see if they do better.

THAT SAID, those who waited out till the release of these cards, the rx580 is better than the rx480 for the same price. If you can nab a deal though, the rx480 is good enough and consumes around....80 less watts to do the same job.

I wonder if it would be better to crossfire my rx480 with the rx580, or to get a cheap rx480 to run instead.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150774 - RX480 8 gig: 189.99 after MIR! (Same card as the one I purchased too! too bad cars are money holes.)

Last edited:
And they launched!

And its not much better!

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/RX_580_Nitro_Plus/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11278/amd-radeon-rx-580-rx-570-review

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3190...ard-you-can-buy-under-200-barely-changed.html

So much for competing with gtx 1080's this round.

And now the wait for RX Vega to see if they do better.

THAT SAID, those who waited out till the release of these cards, the rx580 is better than the rx480 for the same price. If you can nab a deal though, the rx480 is good enough and consumes around....80 less watts to do the same job.

I wonder if it would be better to crossfire my rx480 with the rx580, or to get a cheap rx480 to run instead.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150774 - RX480 8 gig: 189.99 after MIR! (Same card as the one I purchased too! too bad cars are money holes.)
these were never intended to compete with the 1080... see my post, and then dolks with details below it. VEGA is to compete on the higbh end..this is, an increment refresh/rebrand man..

Also, the 5xx uses more power than the 4xx.. in the anand article, it says 30-35w....not sure where you are reading the 480 uses less (it uses more).

Last edited:
these were never intended to compete with the 1080... see my post, and then dolks with details below it. VEGA is to compete on the higbh end..this is, an increment refresh/rebrand man..

Also, the 5xx uses more power than the 4xx.. in the anand article, it says 30-35w....not sure where you are reading the 480 uses less (it uses more).

The first review. the nitro rx580 uses 214 watts average vs 163 watts of the rx480. That is 51 watts higher, and that isn't even the peak.

rx580 peak usage is 240 watts(gaming) and 250 watts(furmark), for a grand total of 87 watts. I threw the 80 watts out there as a rough difference.

Last edited:
The first review. the nitro rx580 uses 214 watts average vs 163 watts of the rx480. That is 51 watts higher, and that isn't even the peak.

rx580 peak usage is 240 watts(gaming) and 250 watts(furmark), for a grand total of 87 watts. I threw the 80 watts out there as a rough difference.

The only link that loaded for me was the anand review. There is shows the 580 is using 30-35w more than the 480...
As you can likely infer from the earlier discussion on power consumption and TBPs, in order to reach these higher clockspeeds AMD and their partners had to increase their GPU voltages. Relative to both our RX 480 and RX 470, the differences are quite significant. Overall voltages have increased by around 0.1v when using AMD’s reference clocks, and closer to 0.15v for the full factory overclocks. As a result the highest frequencies on these two cards are very expensive in terms of power, and it explains a great deal about why AMD needed to increase TBPs by 30-35W just to add another 40-80MHz to the boost clock.

So in the end we agree the 580 uses more power. For some reason i read yours as the 480 usimg more power, lol! Though note, you are also comparing a REFERENCE 480 to an aftermarket 580. The anand review was apples to apples and a 30-35w difference.

And now i see why the 'huh'. Sheesh, i should really stop posting through my phone at work... hahaha

Last edited:
Am I reading this right? Identical specs with higher base and boost clock? Wow. After reading that ( if I am reading correctly) I just want to know if it will a) Crossfire with the 480 - it should with an identical gpu and ram - b) will we be able to flash a 580 bios to a 480? I am not looking to be a Guinea pig for that one but if it turns out to be possible.... I might buy a 580 just out if gratitude and to support an awesome company :D

my concern for flashing is the sheer difference in power.

that said, my non reference rx480 pushes 164 watts at max load and idles at. 28 watts, so it's in line with the review.

Its no different than overclocking... think about it. ;)

Read that Anand review and look at the voltage used for the clocks. I wouldnt be worried one bit about running a 480 at those core speeds or voltages, particularly with a board partner's superior cooling solutions and VRMs.

I've flashed my RX480 with RX580 BIOS and I can't see any special difference. The only difference between RX480 and RX580 can be higher core voltage of RX580 and a bit better GPU binning.
Most cards, even reference, should handle RX580 voltage. You could overvoltage RX480 to the same point and most of these cards were overclocking the same as higher RX580 have on "stock".
AMD has improved manufacture process and all RX580 can make higher clock than the average RX480. Even the best RX480 had problems to run stable at 1450MHz while higher RX580 have that frequency as boost. I'm not sure what but something is more stable now as some RX480 could make up to 1500MHz on air/water for tests but most of them were not stable above ~1420MHz. My RX480 can make 1450MHz for tests but stable is a bit below 1400MHz so I flashed it with RX580 BIOS but I had to lower frequency a bit to keep it stable. At the end at least in my case regardless which BIOS I use, max frequency is the same. On cards with locked or limited voltage, RX580 BIOS will help in OC.

Back to Vega, it's still expected to appear on the market in next 1-2 months. There were some "news" on AMD facebook ( if I'm right ) about premiere in this quarter. Hard to say if it's going to be paper premiere or will hit the stores anytime before summer.

Last edited:
Back