• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking i5-6500 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daarzy

hello,
I Currently have this rig :
i5-6500 8GB RAM DDR3 GTX 1070
Mainboard right now : ASROCK H110M-DVS/D3

i was thinking about buying a new Z motherboard with DDR4 cause DDR3 is dead where you can overclock the CPU,sounds reasonable cause soon you need to have 16 GB RAM and because DDR3 is nowadays dead im thinking about buying a new Z motherboard to OC with new ram.
i would like to OC because i want more Frames in FPS games mostly and some mmorgs
is it worth it to buy a new mainboard? i mean i have to switch eventually anyway cause in 1year or something i will need 8 GB RAM cause i already have 8 right here at home

Z chipset is not helping in anything if you have locked CPU and 6500 is locked. You can overclock it on Z170 board with old microcode BIOS but it's good idea only if you find cheap board on auction or something. However some features won't work.
I just wouldn't spend money on new motherboard for games when you have locked CPU. In this case better is to get K CPU+new motherboard+DDR4 or check new Ryzen 4-6 core processors which should be cheaper ( I'm just not sure if there is any motherboard which I could recommend for cheaper build ).

Back