• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking i7700k... Frustration Vol 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

14MTH30n3

I continue to test my OC 5Gh @ 1.4v. On RealBench I pass 2 hours test, but on 4-8 hour tests RealBench just freezes OR computer reboots. The temps never exceed 68C.

Because each test takes such a long time I am pretty much limited to making 1-2 adjustments per day, and I've been at it for weeks now. I want to start using my new computer, damn it! :(

Can anyone recommend what I should do next? Is there a better way to determine what is causing the tests to fail?

i7-7700k (delidded), OC to 5Gh @ 1.4v
ASUS Rog Maximus IX Hero
Corsair H100i v2 Extreme Cooling
EVGA GTX GeForce 1080FTW
G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 288pin DDR4 SDRAM 2400 (PC4 19200) 4x8 32Gb
Samsung 960 EVO Series 1Tb
EVGA Supernova 850 G2

You can try different stress testing SW like Prime 95, ycruncher, IBT on very high or maximum. By setting the tests up to their maximum stress level it might show your instability faster.

You will either have to reduce your core frequency or increase your vcore. Simple as that. If you want a shorter stress test that is sufficiently rigorous, use an older version of Prime95 that has AVX1 instructions but not AVX2. I recommend v. 27.7 Or use OCCT Large data set for 3 hr. OCCT also uses AVX1.

It's looks like to me your CPU is not really a 5ghz pieces of silicon, at least not a voltages that are safe for 24/7.

I'm afraid a lot of folks have gotten the mistaken impression that all or most kaby lake i5/i7 CPUs will do 5 ghz with no sweat. Many or most will but often at the cost of using higher voltage than most of us feel comfortable using 24/7.

You should look at this: https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all Their testing criteria is that at 5 ghz the CPU will pass a 1 hr. Realbench stress test at 1.347 vocore or less. How much more vcore would it take to pass the test for 4 hr.? And how much more would it take to pass a more rigorous stress test like OCCT or Prime95?

Last edited:
You can try different stress testing SW like Prime 95, ycruncher, IBT on very high or maximum. By setting the tests up to their maximum stress level it might show your instability faster.

Prime95 fails early, but per some previous posts I understood that passing RealBench for 4+ hours would be key. I think stable 5Gh is not in my future.

Back