• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to reseat cpu heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

I just got into F@H for team 32, and decided to take this opportunity to fine tune my system for noise/cooling performance.

So I started up HWMon to check out temps, and I noticed something.

Some core temps are wildly different min and max.

Untitled.png

Is this 4C disparity worth a reseat?

I need to dust it out, for sure, but While I had it apart for dusting, just curious if I should re-apply thermal paste and reseat the heatsink.

I personally would not be too concerned about a 4 c difference. With that said, I would take the heat sink off and clean then reapply thermal paste. I like to use 90% or higher alcohol from my near by Wal-Mart for about $1.50 USD, Then use a sparing amount of new paste and then a careful reinstall of the heat sink. It's just good to do from time to time as thermal paste can dry out over time.

I personally would not be too concerned about a 4 c difference. With that said, I would take the heat sink off and clean then reapply thermal paste. I like to use 90% or higher alcohol from my near by Wal-Mart for about $1.50 USD, Then use a sparing amount of new paste and then a careful reinstall of the heat sink. It's just good to do from time to time as thermal paste can dry out over time.

I used Gelid Solutions GC - Extreme. I also used VERY little of it. spread it very thin from about half a grain of rice. Temps in its prime(also minus dust) were around 63C max @ 4.4 ghz.

Current MAX with my fan profile is 71C, still 9C under my personal limit where I would get off my lazy butt and do what I can to reduce it. :p

Don't currently have higher than 50% iso, and too busy(lazy) to pick some up today.

I think I'll have to settle with a dusting and do the reseat next shopping trip. :)

Last edited:
I just got into F@H for team 32, and decided to take this opportunity to fine tune my system for noise/cooling performance.

So I started up HWMon to check out temps, and I noticed something.

Some core temps are wildly different min and max.

View attachment 190213

Is this 4C disparity worth a reseat?

I need to dust it out, for sure, but While I had it apart for dusting, just curious if I should re-apply thermal paste and reseat the heatsink.

With temps like that, your fine, Intel chips seem to like high temps. I currently use AMD FX cpu's but am getting rdy to build an Intel system soon and I'll be looking at temps on it :)
If your temps start going higher after 6 months to a year then redo thermal paste.

For the record, I used to spread thermal paste until we ran an experiment and found it not to work the best. I put a rice grain amount of paste in the middle and let the pressure of the heat sink mount force the paste (and air) out to the edges.

I agree with WhitehawkEQ (please don't tell him though). You're temps are probably fine and nothing is needed other than the removal of dust that you mentioned in the OP.

Next Application, I'll follow that advice about the heatsink forcing it to spread.

I simply had the mindset to avoid spillovers from the pressure, but as its non-conductive, its a non-issue.

First is the 90% iso though. I'm curious what kind of numbers I'll see after a proper cleaning and application, because i didn't clean it off with anything more than a paper towel last time...:chair:

Back