• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 4690k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrDitto

Registered
Non-sky lake. How far can I push it. It's degrees are usually in it's 30's mid game and it's now getting a harder to run some games. How much can I squeeze out of it?
http://prnt.sc/evp9qc

Please download and install a free program called CPU-z. Run the program and attach images from these three program tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. Crop and capture the images with Windows Snipping Tool and then attach them by clicking on Go Advanced at the lower right hand corner of any new post window. We need more info.

What cooler are you running?

To start with download CPUZ and HWINFO64(or comparable program) and then get a stress test like intel burn test. If using IBT run the test at the high setting for 10 passes and then post a screenshot with the "Sensor" tab of HWINFO open as well as the "Main" and "Memory" tab of CPUZ this will give us a lot of the information we need to get you started.

- - - Updated - - -

Ninja'd by Trents:D

To start with download CPUZ and HWINFO64(or comparable program) and then get a stress test like intel burn test. If using IBT run the test at the high setting for 10 passes and then post a screenshot with the "Sensor" tab of HWINFO open as well as the "Main" and "Memory" tab of CPUZ this will give us a lot of the information we need to get you started.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are all the details.
I did try HWINFO64 but it didn't particularly work.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

You have 3 duplicates (2,3&4) that don't show the requested information. Aside of this, the pics are too small and even clicking on them it fails to enlarge.

Open CpuZ
Open Memory tab
Open SPD tab

Upload pictures here without using a 3rd party hosting

You have 3 duplicates (2,3&4) that don't show the requested information. Aside of this, the pics are too small and even clicking on them it fails to enlarge.

Open CpuZ
Open Memory tab
Open SPD tab

Upload pictures here without using a 3rd party hosting
Like this?
(in SPD) there are only things in slot #2 and slot #4 and they're identical.
CPU.png SPD.png Memory.png

It varies greatly.

My one (and so far only) 4690K was only able to make 4.4GHz at 1.29-1.3v, and 4.3GHz at 1.25v, 4.2GHz at 1.18v (which was much more reasonable, and where I ran it when it was overclocked.) 1.3 volts was about the highest I was willing to push it, plus my cooling solution (Noctua NH-D14) wasn't able to deal very well with the heat at that level of voltage (80°C).

Mine is below average when it comes to overclocking.

I think the duplicate posts is an issue with the website, as I've also seen this happening to others' posts and newly posted threads. I saw one new thread that triple posted itself. The website also seems oddly slow today, I'm not sure if the two problems are related though. I've been getting database errors every time I attempt to edit a post, for instance it's taken me over six hours to edit this post successfully.

Last edited:
Too warm?

It varies greatly.

My one (and so far only) 4690K was only able to make 4.4GHz at 1.29-1.3v, and 4.3GHz at 1.25v, 4.2GHz at 1.18v (which was much more reasonable, and where I ran it when it was overclocked.) 1.3 volts was about the highest I was willing to push it, plus my cooling solution (Noctua NH-D14) wasn't able to deal very well with the heat at that level of voltage.

Mine is below average when it comes to overclocking.

I think the duplicate posts is an issue with the website, as I've also seen this happening to others' posts and newly posted threads. I saw one new thread that triple posted itself. The website also seems oddly slow today, I'm not sure if the two problems are related though. I've been getting database errors every time I attempt to edit a post, for instance it's taken me over six hours to edit this post successfully.

I ran Prime95 stress test and it was reaching 100 degrees when everything is at stock level; no voltage increase, no frequency increase... not sure there is any chance of overclocking now. Is this normal temps?!

Yep, Remount and reapply thermal paste. Use 70%+(90%+ recommended for best results) isopropyl alcohol on a piece of non scented toilet paper, and rub in a circular motion. Let air dry for ~ 5 minutes before applying thermal compound.

Also, clean the bottom the the heatsink in the same manner, and do a nice dusting of the heatsink while its out of the system. An air compressor is the recommended method, but ensure there isn't any water on the heatsink from condensation if you use one. Let dry for 1-3 hours if there is. After, use a grain of rice sized line of thermal paste on the cpu heatspreder in the center, and let the heatsink spread the paste(just install the heatsink). Alternatively, you could opt for canned air if you don't have a compressor handy. Keep the bottle upright, don't tilt it to the side. This is to keep the chemicals in the can, and not on your hardware.

Also, with those temps, make sure the cpu fan didn't stop spinning(seize up). If it did, you may need to buy a new one. (or even a new heatsink entirely if it is directly attached.)

Please use the Go Advanced button found at the lower right hand corner of any new post windows to attach images rather than link them. We prefer them attached. But before attaching them please use crop them. Windows Snipping Tool is great for this.

Back