• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Importing an old profile?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Imrix

Registered
Alright, this is probably a silly question, but after a literal MONTH of delays and obstacles and utterly godsdamned mystifying software failures, I am extremely skittish about how to press forward with my computer upgrade without confirmation and advice.

So, I have an old hard drive with a fresh installation of W7 that will talk to the new motherboard, but has none of my old user preferences, registry files, game saves, Wi-Fi drivers, or the occasional program that ended up in C drive because I wasn't paying attention that one time. I also have a newer hard drive which is currently acting as a backup from before the hardware upgrade, so it has an older installation of W7 that won't talk to the new motherboard, but does have all my preferences, registry files, game saves, etc.

Currently, my plan is to dump an image of the new hard drive's backup onto an external hard drive, import that to the old hard drive via Windows Easy Transfer, then clone the result over to the new hard drive via Macrium. However, Given the literal month of delays and problems and AAARGH this upgrade has given me, you'll understand if I'm a bit skittish of proceeding without confirmation that this both will work and is my best option.

My ideal goal is to end up with the new windows installation plus my old preferences and whatnot on the new hard drive, so I can boot from it cleanly. Will the above method achieve this? If so, is there anything I should watch out for? If not, can someone lay out for me a better alternative?

Personally, I think you would be better off just backing up your data and doing a fresh clean install of Windows. Restoring from an image would also restore any brokenness in the system files.

Personally, I think you would be better off just backing up your data and doing a fresh clean install of Windows. Restoring from an image would also restore any brokenness in the system files.
Backing up my data and doing a fresh install of Windows is basically what I've done. That's what I'm trying to move forwards from. But, hmm, a standard system image of the backup hard drive might also work.

Back