• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheaper alternative to EKWB WC for this build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It does not itemize your cooling loop. Please post your selected parts.

It does not itemize your cooling loop. Please post your selected parts.
So these are the parts I want to mainly cool:
• CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K
• GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Founder Edition

If the budget of cooling the CPU/GPU is way lower than $600, I would like to cool those things too:
• RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB DDR4-2666MHz (4×8)
•Motherboard: Maximus IX Hero

My case is a Thermaltake Core X5 if that really matters to you. If you want any more answers I will be glad to help.

No need to cool the ram or motherboard so you can save some money there. I'm assuming the ekweb picker suggests their fancy fittings. Swap those out for barbs with clamps and you can cut down on cost pretty dramatically. I would stick with their blocks though, they are some of the best. Radiators tend to run about the same for most decent brands so it's personal preference. I prefer Alphacool personally but they aren't cheap. For cooling a card and cpu I would think you could stay well below $600.00 by paying less for fittings, they add up quick.

I was actually asking for an itemized list of the cooling parts you selected that came out to the $600 you posted about, but here is a quick run down of one option you could go with.

watercooling1.jpg

I would note that it is possible to go even lower cost on this, but this is using all premium parts and includes everything but fans.

I was actually asking for an itemized list of the cooling parts you selected that came out to the $600 you posted about, but here is a quick run down of one option you could go with.

View attachment 190241

I would note that it is possible to go even lower cost on this, but this is using all premium parts and includes everything but fans.
You guys are f awesome. I have 3 last questions:
1. What fans would you suggest me to buy?
2. If I want to buy a colourful tube, what do you suggest me for this specific loop you set me up?
3. As for the parts, what site is that? Is that the cheapest store for those things or should I keep digging for better prices?

Last edited:
thats performance pcs.com they have the best variety and usually have really competetive pricing but the shipping costs are always inflated. ppcs has yate loon fans on sale right now for $5 so go with either the mediums or lows. the primoflex that wizard showed you is the best you can get and they have a wide variety of colored tubing. just make sure you match your tubing with your barbs.

treat your wcing build like your doing friggin surgery. wash your hands often dont touch the inside of the tubing or res and try not to touch the barb ends at all. keep your water in the distilled container it comes in and make sure you use a good syringe to get the water out.
take your time and make it a game not a job!! have fun man!

You could also go super cheap and pickup a swifttech x240 or x320 and add a gpu block and additional radiator if wanted... would still offer good performance and would be pretty cheap

You could also go super cheap and pickup a swifttech x240 or x320 and add a gpu block and additional radiator if wanted... would still offer good performance and would be pretty cheap
How would you suggest on doing this? I am pretty noob at this.

Going that route with a 320 swiftech kit I was able to get it down to about $330. I still think it would be possible to go even a bit cheaper if needed, but thats getting into the is it really worth it zone.

I see you haven't even attempted of putting a water cooling list together, let alone can't figure out what budget rad fans to go with while asking others do to the simple research for you. That's usually a bad sign and maybe custom water cooling isn't your thing. If you want to start over, have a read into our intro to water cooling and get the basics down first. Once you've spent lots of time researching and basic blueprint on how you want to build this in said case, give us a list of the parts you're looking at and we'll give you our opinion with what to go with. If that's too much of a hassle, I highly recommend AIOs for both the CPU and GPU and call it a day. You'll be glad you did because they're plug and play, no maintenance required.

For all the members, you folks are really kind but it doesn't teach the custom H20 builder anything by others doing the work for him. He needs to do the research himself to learn just as I have and many others before and after me. Thanks for understanding.

I see you haven't even attempted of putting a water cooling list together, let alone can't figure out what budget rad fans to go with while asking others do to the simple research for you. That's usually a bad sign and maybe custom water cooling isn't your thing. If you want to start over, have a read into our intro to water cooling and get the basics down first. Once you've spent lots of time researching and basic blueprint on how you want to build this in said case, give us a list of the parts you're looking at and we'll give you our opinion with what to go with. If that's too much of a hassle, I highly recommend AIOs for both the CPU and GPU and call it a day. You'll be glad you did because they're plug and play, no maintenance required.

For all the members, you folks are really kind but it doesn't teach the custom H20 builder anything by others doing the work for him. He needs to do the research himself to learn just as I have and many others before and after me. Thanks for understanding.

I concur, some of the best long term knowledge is acquired by researching everything yourself, and even after all of that research you may possibly still make a mistake and sometimes have to learn the hard way.

Most mistakes come when you're trying to cheap out the water cooling parts and at that point you have no one else to blame but yourself, simply because of not properly budgeting the loop cost allowance and pulling the trigger too soon.

If you make a mistake you learn from your mistakes and take that knowledge you learned and go forward with it, do you truly think these water coolers advising you have never made a mistake?

The first question you should ask yourself is why do you want to water cool in the first place, what do you hope to achieve or gain form the added expense of water cooling?

The end result from doing your own research, educating yourself on exactly how to setup your water cooling, and what components to buy, you'll either come out a water cooler or run back to the safety and simplicity of the air coolers.

Good Luck to You! SS

I concur, some of the best long term knowledge is acquired by researching everything yourself, and even after all of that research you may possibly still make a mistake and sometimes have to learn the hard way.
Most mistakes come when you're trying to cheap out the water cooling parts and at that point you have no one else to blame but yourself, simply because of not properly budgeting the loop cost allowance and pulling the trigger too soon.
If you make a mistake you learn from your mistakes and take that knowledge you learned and go forward with it, do you truly think these water coolers advising you have never made a mistake?
The first question you should ask yourself is why do you want to water cool in the first place, what do you hope to achieve or gain form the added expense of water cooling?
The end result from doing your own research, educating yourself on exactly how to setup your water cooling, and what components to buy, you'll either come out a water cooler or run back to the safety and simplicity of the air coolers.
Good Luck to You! SS

Guys,
I understand how "doing the work for the noobs" can prevent them of really learning.
I get it and I agree with that point, I wish this was so black and white.
From the other hand, answering begginners with "google it" won't do too much good for the hobby and may discourage discussions in the forums.
All I have seen lately is people showcasing how much they can spend on their builds.
I don't really see too many people questioning: do I really need to spend U$5k to water cool my rig?
Or, what can I do to still have some good quality build without having to sell my kidney to afford the best possible parts?

I don't want to start some deep discussion of social classes debate, this is not about it.
I just don't see the problem on asking certain types of questions.
I wish we could just grab a beer and ***** a little about it :)

Cheers!
M

Guys,
I understand how "doing the work for the noobs" can prevent them of really learning.
I get it and I agree with that point, I wish this was so black and white.
From the other hand, answering begginners with "google it" won't do too much good for the hobby and may discourage discussions in the forums.
All I have seen lately is people showcasing how much they can spend on their builds.
I don't really see too many people questioning: do I really need to spend U$5k to water cool my rig?
Or, what can I do to still have some good quality build without having to sell my kidney to afford the best possible parts?

I don't want to start some deep discussion of social classes debate, this is not about it.
I just don't see the problem on asking certain types of questions.
I wish we could just grab a beer and ***** a little about it :)

Cheers!
M

What I posted was good advice whether he or she listens is totally up to them.

There's absolutely no problem what so ever in asking, "certain types of questions", and there also is no problem with answers that hopefully make the person think for themselves.

Back