• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Distilled water

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

||Console||

I see ppl saying to use this all the time on the forum does no one use de-ionized water (from a parts store that you would use in a battery) any more ? Its all i have ever used and never had problems with it .

When I hear distilled i think bottled water that you would drink am I wrong ?

They must call it something different in Canada

What people drink
View attachment 190263

what I use in my loop

View attachment 190264

"What’s the Deal with Distilled Water?

With so many choices for every product imaginable, it’s not surprising to find that there are a variety of different waters to choose from. There’s tap water which we are all familiar with, and depending on where you live, it can be a clean and healthy drinking option. We’ve also heard of spring, demineralized and distilled water.

AquaTerra offers all three types in either refillable & sustainable bottles or through filtration systems. But do you know how distilled water, in particular, differs? Distilled water is produced by a process called distillation, whereby water is heated, boiled, turned into a steam, then cooled and condensed back into a liquid. Almost 99% of minerals and impurities are left behind during this process, and the result is water with a pH level of seven. [1]

There are 3 main benefits to this type of deminerlized water [2]

1. Removing Contaminants – ie disease, toxic metals, industrial pollutants

2. Eliminating Chemicals – ie chlorine or fluoride

3. No additives – ie calcium

Although fluoride and calcium are necessary for our health, too much of fluoride can cause tooth discolouration, while too much calcium can be a catalyst for kidney stones. [3]

Many people prefer distilled water because of its “purity.” But there really is good reason for using distilled water in many different circumstances:

· Mixing baby formula – Prevents enamel fluorosis (white streaks on teeth) in children [4]

· Sterilizing medical equipment – Minerals can cause discoloration or damage to equipment [5]

· Creating beauty products - Rose water and distilled water spritzers keep skin hydrated [6]

· Flushing toxins– Your body processes distilled water faster than tap water, removing toxins [7]

· Maintaining car batteries – Minerals in tap water reduce a battery’s capacity [8]

If we use such a pure water to maintainthe “brain” of our cars, why wouldn’t we use the best forour own bodies? According to Dr Charles McFerrin, in the July 1955 issue of Nature’s Path, “Distilled water is ‘empty’ water – a hungry water, a water capable of absorbing body poisons.” [9]

Distilled water is great for drinking, cleaning, and keeping healthy, though we do recognize it’s not for everybody or everything. For example, it’s better to use spring water over distilled water to hydrate plants because spring water contains minerals and nutrients that plants need. Moreover, because of a lack of minerals, distilled water may have a less flavoured taste than spring or tap water. So whether it’s purified distilled or demineralized water, or mineral rich natural spring water you prefer, keep in mind that AquaTerra offers both varieties in sustainably packaged 11 and 18L reusable bottles.

- See more at: http://www.aquaterracorp.ca/page.aspx?name=DistilledWater#sthash.dy9CL9lk.dpuf"

Last edited:
De-Ionized is not drinking water. Destilled is drinkable.

Destilled is readily available and easily obtainable at most pharmacies and big food stores/chain stores like Target. De-ionized you normally have to go searching for, at least that's how it is around my area.

I'd recommend premix clear fluids from reputed water cooling companies and not DYI fluids since you don't know if something should go wrong from a imbalance. For example, distilled and silver don't dance well with EK's nickel as it also has been warned by them as well.

Last edited:
My whole loop is copper download.jpg
and i use PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Black tubing . Only spot water sees light is in the rez
But im temped to take the block out tonight and have a look its been @ least a year from my last tear down .

Distilled water simply needs to be accomplished through a steam distilling process with no additives after the distilling process some companies run it through micro filters after the distilling which is OK, but never buy the type with additives, you have to read the label to make sure it is actually steam distilled water.

100% Steam Distilled water and Biocide (Copper/Sulfate) 1 drop per Liter, that's what I have used for the past 5 years with no problems in an all copper metal loop.

Chances are you'll have some good oxidization under there.
Oxidation does not affect cooling performance.
Is that the only reason you switched to premixes Jack?
You were a D water biocide guy for a long time with a clean track record.

Oxidation does not affect cooling performance.
Is that the only reason you switched to premixes Jack?
You were a D water biocide guy for a long time with a clean track record.

Yup. Got sick of dealing with it and felt it will eventually affect my cooling. Even my Koolance QDCs didn't like it as well and I also wanted to stay within warranty of the gear.

Not a fluid expert by no means but isn't oxidization the beginning stages of corrosion or is it just based on looks?

Deionized/Distilled/Reverse osmosis. Very little difference Wiki it. I did post on it years ago at last once.

You live in the UK, use Deionized. It's the same damn thing. You use the water that is for baby humidifiers.

DONE.

Distilled water simply needs to be accomplished through a steam distilling process with no additives after the distilling process some companies run it through micro filters after the distilling which is OK, but never buy the type with additives, you have to read the label to make sure it is actually steam distilled water.

100% Steam Distilled water and Biocide (Copper/Sulfate) 1 drop per Liter, that's what I have used for the past 5 years with no problems in an all copper metal loop.

"OHH FANCY STEAM DISTILLED". MARKETING, you pay for that... You mean water that can be made pure without any chemicals that can clog a loop. There are at least 3 methods that can do that.

In The USA it's distilled, LOL it's whats for dinner. Deionized is the same damn thing. A well maintained Reverse Osmosis loop can make the same clean water.

I have a sticky on the RO vs Distilled. Read it?

Not a fluid expert by no means but isn't oxidization the beginning stages of corrosion or is it just based on looks?

Using copper as an example, oxidation is the black tarnish that you see. It does not affect the cooling properties at all. It is more of a visual thing than anything else. Corrosion on copper would be that greenish fluff. That WILL clog a loop. I've never seen that on just D water and biocide.

"OHH FANCY STEAM DISTILLED". MARKETING, you pay for that... You mean water that can be made pure without any chemicals that can clog a loop. There are at least 3 methods that can do that.

In The USA it's distilled, LOL it's whats for dinner. Deionized is the same damn thing. A well maintained Reverse Osmosis loop can make the same clean water.

I have a sticky on the RO vs Distilled. Read it?

With that attitude I'll never read it, you can stick your sticky where the sun don't shine sir!

I'll trust what I've used for years, it is doing just fine!

Using copper as an example, oxidation is the black tarnish that you see. It does not affect the cooling properties at all. It is more of a visual thing than anything else. Corrosion on copper would be that greenish fluff. That WILL clog a loop. I've never seen that on just D water and biocide.

Ah ok.

The other reason I forgot to post was the fact that EK's nickel doesn't dance well and a ton of folks use EK's products out there, especially their GPUs since they have the biggest collection and saying to go with a DIY fluid that might damage their GPU's is a risk I'm not willing to allow to possibly happen so the whole DYI distilled and silver or w/e silver based biocide won't work for most. We can't control how many people will read our posts here and go on and do the same thing only to ruin their GPU blocks. I just can't live with myself over $20 annually. I think it's silly when you're spending 100s if not 1000s of dollars on water cooling gear.

While I can backup the ek warning about their nickel coming off from D water/silver coil because I've had it happen in my loop I don't buy into only using the premix products. Only the ek nickel had problems in my loop, none of my other pieces were even slightly showing a problem after many years in the same loop with D water and silver coil with ph-nuke.

All these years we've used the same stuff but when ek has a problem with their nickel we should all change our habits? Nope. It sounds like a problem on their end that they are using to push their pre-mix to customers. Keep it all copper and problem averted. If ek wants to fix the problem they could but why would they if they can sell more pre-mix instead?

Don't even bother with the silver if you're running a chemical biocide. It's redundant and more chance of a reaction.

Don't even bother with the silver if you're running a chemical biocide. It's redundant and more chance of a reaction.

This. And what Conundrum said. Simpler is generally better. That said, I run distilled, copper sulfate, and a corrosion inhibitor. My drain and clean intervals are ... :cough: longer than what is normally recommended, but I do keep an eye on things and haven't had issues thus far. :knock wood:

This. And what Conundrum said. Simpler is generally better. That said, I run distilled, copper sulfate, and a corrosion inhibitor. My drain and clean intervals are ... :cough: longer than what is normally recommended, but I do keep an eye on things and haven't had issues thus far. :knock wood:
You can ditch the corrosion inhibitor unless you're running aluminium or bare steel in your loop.

Back