• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frazier08 - First Build Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frazier08

Registered
So today I began buying parts which makes it official build thread time. I expect to start building this towards the 3rd week of May but for now I am researching and purchasing the components leading up to that.

PSU: Tt Toughpower DPSG 1200W (cheaper ebay find) EVGA Supernova G2 1300W adds a tad more headroom.

MB: Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI Cancelled this for an EVGA X99 FTW K after reviews of the gigabyte I got scared and going with something more heavy duty. This also looks to be more efficient.

CPU: Intel i7-6850K (to support 4 GPUs, also cheaper ebay find)

RAM: Corsair LPX 8GB DDR4-2400 Ordered 2 sticks not sure ill need 16GB.

GPU: x2 Gigabyte 1080 Ti OC && x2 EVGA 1080 Ti SC Black

Case: Antec 1200 V3

Cooling: CPU HSF Noctua 92mm high static center fan should do well

Storage: I bought an M.2 and SSD version each of the Samsung 850 250GB drives. Not sure. Dont think the M.2 will help anything with folding. Shoot I should probably just install a basic HDD.

UPS Backup: PCM 1300W 2200VA MUST NOT LOSE PROGRESS :shock: @ $275 and free shipping (66lbs) I thought this was a bargain.

Comments/Suggestions welcome. :cheers:

Last edited:
You're going to stack in four (4) 1080 Ti's?! ... and fold with them?! It might get too hot in there so I hope that you are planning a lot of cooling. Once you get that up and running you'd easily be in the top 10 on daily production of ppd (points per day).

@ 250W each i was thinking the same thing with heat. Im still gathering information to see what temps to expect. Im waiting for the SC version to be available. Amazon adds sales tax so I have to get creative to purchase 4 of them. But with the open air + dual fan design that should help some heat escape.

Also, the case will be laying flat on its side to help airflow. I was considering the CM 932 as whitehawk suggested but Ive always wanted an Antec 1200 so nows the time lol.

Already I went with a different PSU... the EVGA supernova 1300W as the 1200W listed now is borderline maxed out, save a few watts from an otherwise idle cpu.

CPU cooling going with this Noctua 92mm. I see mid 40Cs with a dual fan HSF running around 50% load with my sig rig. This should do as good without overhanging the ram slots.

Two thoughts.
1) Skip the case and just leave it out in the open.

2) The M.2 cards take PCIe lanes to run and may affect your production.

2) The M.2 cards take PCIe lanes to run and may affect your production.

Good thought. The processor has 40 PCIe lanes...so his cards should run at 8x...32 lanes consumed. The M.2 takes 4 lanes...so 36.

It depends on how the motherboard splits up the PCIe lanes...and if there is a separate PCIe chip for the SATA and USB connections.

While great for compact systems, we wont be able to jam in 6 or 8 of these into a machine as we'd like to.. without exuberant costs and/or require dual cpus. EXAMPLE

I applaud their use of the 1070 here, the 1080 has hardly any gain (in folding) to justify cost. And surely the 1080ti is just too hot.

Last edited:
Alright so it begins... Installing 5 cards for now, the rest will be installed later next week.

My GPU inventory is:

6x 1080 Ti
1x 1080
6x 1070
2x 1060 6GB version

Right now I am playing around with 4 cards in one machine, 4 TIs gets insanely hot so mixing and matching to find a balance with heat.

L88kuisHuPdfAkG_TUmGb3TCJYQ-GbJxfLi3UQEQ1sAxLt8TObNRI6HDGlmTKmzxxNFAINuPsSXwFp0=w1477-h757-rw

Here is a pic of all 4 Tis together, note the case is on its side. Sadly this setup wont work due to hitting the stock 84C temp cap.

lM-e231CdJRjp5jMjxtjKczKhG-jVXJPJJm-g7vp0gAFctAvvwhURiPmZNUp4g2IVF7Fw-_HUXovziY=w1477-h818-rw

Goal is 10+ million PPD.

Last edited:
I am REALLY looking forward to seeing your build.

Unfortunately it looks like the permissions for where your pictures are being hosted don't let anyone but you see them.

I'm looking forward to seeing your name in my threat list!

Back