• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 10 updates messing with mouse wheel scrolling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I bought an Amazon wireless mouse a week or so ago and soon after that I would lose scroll wheel function at times in my browsing. So I switched to another brand of wireless mouse I had laying around but still having the problem. I will lose scroll wheel function in the current tab but if I switch to another open tab it works fine. If I close the tab I'm having a problem with and reopen that same web page in a new tab it works again for awhile. This happens on two different computers and it happens both in Chrome and Opera. It happens mostly when I'm browsing in OC Forums but I can't say it hasn't happened with other web sites but I'm not sure it has either. Both computers I've experienced this problem with have Windows 10 installed.

Has anyone else experienced this on this forum of late? Can't decide if it's a driver problem or an OS problem. Any ideas?

My first thought would be the USB port and mouse Properties dialog windows to uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Just in case. I'm amazed by how many things Windows wants to turn off to save power. :D

But I don't lose mouse function altogether, just the scroll wheel function. I can still move the cursor, click the buttons and everything else.

Mine does the same thing. I'll be on twitter looking at a picture that i opened and then suddenly my scroll wont work. I have to close out the tab and reopen it for it to work again. My mouse isn't wireless.

Same here, only it only occurs while at OCF. Been wondering if there's a site bug. Couldn't get OCF to open in Google or Edge at all one day last week. ??????

It just happened to me while browsing NewEgg so it's not an OC Forums site bug. I think I need to try a Microsoft mouse to make sure it's not a driver issue with Logitech brand mice. The Amazon basic mouse might be made by Logitech according my research and the only other mouse I have tried is a Logitech brand.

Last edited:
If you update to the latest Windows 10 driver by going to your mouse's official Logitech web page, does the problem persist?

If you update to the latest Windows 10 driver by going to your mouse's official Logitech web page, does the problem persist?

I already checked that out. There are no logitech mouse drivers per se. Just software that allows you to customize button functions, etc. which seem to cause there own issues according to my research. Even if there were, Windows 10 would kick them out and replace them with the next round of Microsoft updates.

You must install Logitech Gaming Software.
Yes it (also) allows for customization of the mouse, but the drivers it contains will resolve your problem with 99% certainty.
Download them from the official Logitech page only, not from anywhere else.

Allow it to insert itself to start at every Windows 10 boot.

Logitech Gaming Software controls customization of every button, even the scroll.
I custom set scroll *click* to the keyboard [Enter] function for faster paste/enter operations. But that's my individual choice, you can leave everything at defaults, but Logitech Gaming Software must run so you can avoid these problems.

By naming it Logitech "Gaming Software" - they directly implied this software to be unnecessary for Office use, but all kinds of problems persist until it is installed.

Last edited:
Yes it (also) allows for customization of the mouse, but the drivers it contains will resolve your problem with 99% certainty.

Logitech Gaming Software controls customization of every button, even the scroll.
I custom set scroll *click* to the keyboard [Enter] function for faster paste/enter operations. But that's my individual choice, you can leave everything at defaults, but Logitech Gaming Software must run so you can avoid these problems.

By naming it Logitech "Gaming Software" - they directly implied this software to be unnecessary for Office use, but all kinds of problems persist until it is installed.

Okay, I installed the Gaming Software. It loads on Windows startup. We'll see if it helps. Thanks for the tip.

I hadn't remembered that. I've had it installed since I got my joystick and it did solve a multitude of problems with my mouse and keyboard. Good call!

Didn't work, C6. Problem cropped up again after installing the gaming utility. I'm going with a Microsoft mouse right now and we'll see what happens.

Having the latest Logitech drivers installed and an updated Windows 10 allows you to either call or open a case with Logitech about this, which I urge you to do.

Last edited:
Having the latest Logitech drivers installed and an updated Windows 10 allows you to either call or open a case with Logitech about this, which I urge you to do.

It's already done. Emailed logitech yesterday about this issue.

I have been corresponding with a Logitech support person via email for the last couple of days. No solutions yet. He asked me to disable Logitech Intellipoint but I don't even have that installed.

So far I have been able to determine that the scroll wheel issue does not happen with Logitech mice in Linux and it does not happen in Windows when using a Microsoft mouse.

And it does not happen with non browser apps.

It does happen only with Logitech mice in Windows and is not limited to a specific browser or a specific web site.

Neither is this problem limited to a particular Logitech mouse model as the same problem surfaces with both my Logitech M185 and my M315 . . . and with my new Amazon basic mouse which I'm guessing is made by Logitech.

Since it happens in both Opera and Chrome I doubt it it's related to a plugin.

Last edited:
Another tip: make sure no other/previous mouseware software is installed on the system at all.

I have never installed any mouse software on my system until the other day when you suggested installing the Logitech Gaming software. I have always just relied on the built-in Windows drivers and never had a problem until a few days ago.

Friendly suggestion: edit post#1 content/title to include Logitech mouse model.

Just gonna throw it out there that i am also using a Logitech mouse. I also have the software running all the time and the problem persists. I'm thinking it must be the last batch of Windows updates that fubar'd everything because it just started happening recently.

Oh yes that certainly would be a likely culprit.

It happened before:

There is certainly plenty to say about the new version.
It's difficult to avoid it since Windows 10 updates cannot be applied selectively, easily.

The Anniversary Update immediately hosed my expensive HD web cam, and I immediately found out that the Anniversary Update broke millions of cameras out there too.
Logitech says
Thank you for your inquiry. We are sorry that you're experiencing an issue with your Logitech webcam.
We have discovered that this is linked to a change Microsoft made in the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition where support of compressed MJPG and H.264 streams for webcams was dropped.
Microsoft is working on an update to address the issue, but at this time we do not have an estimate for when it will be available.

It's pretty incredible that since Windows 10 Anniversary Update was released to the public on August 2, 2016, this major bug has not been fixed, and here we are in mid October 2016. Windows 10 still doesn't have an official fix for the web cams it hosed, millions and millions of them... :)

Back