• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 10 updates messing with mouse wheel scrolling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, I heard back from the Logitech tech I was corresponding with and he explained they had "limited resources" to be able to address "other software" issues. When I asked for clarification he explained he was referring to browsers that I should try contacting Google for help with this issue. He forgot I was having the same problem in Opera. Basically, he was saying, "I don't know."

Yeah, as I said in the first post of this thread, I suspect it's related to a Windows 10 update. But as you would guess, when I switched to a Microsoft mouse the problem went away. Is MS now trying to enhance their peripheral sales by sabotaging other companies' hardware devices?

trents, what is the model of the mouse you are having this problem with?

Bad batch of webwheel sensors? That is a pretty basic mouse function to be borking. No issues here with gskill gaming mouse, a basic dell, nor a Logitech g5 on my sons system (all fully updated w10). All wired.

Do you have another non MS mouse to test with? I can see why some are making the leap to w10/updates, but, you should be able to look through the updates and see what has installed....so far, im not convinced its a w10 issue. Correlation is not causation and all that. ;)

I have this problem with three mice I have tried. All wireless: Logtech M185, Logitech M315 and the Amazon basic. The problem happens on two different Windows 10 computers, a laptop and a desktop. I have tried the M185 on a Linux machine and the scroll wheel works flawlessly. If I use a Microsoft mouse on the desktop that gave me problems with all three of the other mice mentioned, there is no issue with the scroll wheel. And this is true for two different Microsoft wireless mice I have tried on the desktop.

Copy paste this ↑ when politely requesting that your Logitech case number be forwarded to Level 2 Logitech support.

Make sure the batteries inside these mice are brand new, just to eliminate any hints of "other" causes.

Is the receiver in or next to a USB 3.0 port? I had weird stuff going on with my Logitech wireless mouse in a USB 3.0 port. My keyboard is kind of iffy at times still.

I have come to the conclusion that this has got to be tied to Windows 10 updates since this problem didn't occur until very recently. I've used these same mice on Windows 10 for ages and not until recently has there been a problem. Nothing else has changed except Windows 10. Microsoft might fix this with another update or they may not. If not, I'll just switch to using Microsoft mouses in Windows and use other brands with Linux and OS X machines.

Okay, now the problem is affecting my Microsoft mouse.

The plot thickens.
Think of approximately when you noticed this then try reimaging back, or restoring back, or uninstalling Windows 10 updates to see if this will affect the problem?

This time it's on a fresh clean install of Windows 10 on a brand new computer put together just last week.

That is a significant development.
That either means that the clean install might have pulled the (relatively recent) update that causes this, which is why only a rollback to an old image could begin to identify the cause, and only on a computer with auto updates OFF.
or
There is a third party software that causes this, in which case only by uninstalling all third party software and not noticing the problem could you begin the arduous task of the process of elimination to find out which it is...

:(

I keep old drive images and an actual txt file list of all my monthly master image enhancements for the very reason you are experiencing.

Well, it's not happening as often as it was a couple of weeks ago with the Logitech mice and it is very intermittent which would make trouble shooting by the process of elimination very difficult and impractical. Yes, it occurred to me as well that it could be caused by conflict with software other than Windows per se. Some kind memory space violation maybe. I imagine in time Microsoft and it's partners will get it figured out.

Another idea: take signal interference out of the equation by testing a wired mouse to see if the problem ever returns.

Then all there is to do is figure out which monthly update borked it, and if whatever inside the monthly update caused it can be disabled.
I would make an image, uninstall Windows updates going back 2 or 3 months and see if the problem is still there.
But this is difficult on Win10 since so much is bundled.
I don't envy you having this problem. It's almost impossible to figure out without monthly images going back a few months.
I hope enough people develop this problem and it gets fixed in the next sets of monthly updates.

Microsoft just released their "Creator Update" this week. Haven't had any mouse wheel issues on two or three days.

Back