• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock 1800x running temperature?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ebola0

Registered
After some trouble with the first motherboard, I rebuilt the system with a different motherboard and now it boots up. But it looks like it's running really hot. The asus bios shows it's 58 degrees celsius. It also shows the noctua fans are running at 1000 rpm instead of the 1500 rpm I thought they were supposed to run at? I thought I used enough of the noctua nt-h1 thermal interface material but maybe I didn't? What's a normal running temperature for this cpu?

That's about right, there's a + 20°c offset added to the temp to get the fans to kick in sooner. The limit on the cpu is 80-85° and it throttles at 95°. It's pretty normal

I cannot directly comment on the temperature for that chip, but I can make a few points for you to think on.

First, can you post what cpu cooler you are using as this will dictate what temperatures you should expect to see.

Second, if the fans are plugged into the motherboard you can check the fan profile in the bios to see what it is set to. If it is set to say "silent" it will run the fan slow to keep the system quite.

Third, how much NT-h1 did you use? With any TIM the rule of thumb is "less is best". If you used more than say a dab the size of a bb you have used to much.

I cannot directly comment on the temperature for that chip, but I can make a few points for you to think on.

First, can you post what cpu cooler you are using as this will dictate what temperatures you should expect to see.

Second, if the fans are plugged into the motherboard you can check the fan profile in the bios to see what it is set to. If it is set to say "silent" it will run the fan slow to keep the system quite.

Third, how much NT-h1 did you use? With any TIM the rule of thumb is "less is best". If you used more than say a dab the size of a pea you have used to much.

There I altered that a bit. The IHS on these are pretty big and they do need a fair bit for coverage. Maybe not a pea but not that much less.

I probably used a little bit less than halfway between a bb and a pea in terms of tim. I'm using a Noctua NH-D15 cooler with both 140mm fans installed. I'd powered it off for a bit after I saw the temps and when I powered it back on the temps were at 48 degrees C. Glad to know that it seems alright. I take it that the tim needs a 24 hour burn in period to reach max efficacy before I start overclocking?

I think you're pretty normal maybe a bit high but try stressing it and see what you get

There I altered that a bit. The IHS on these are pretty big and they do need a fair bit for coverage. Maybe not a pea but not that much less.

Thanks Johan, as I alluded to I have no first-hand experience with these chips so can off only generalities. How big are these chips compared to a typical 1151 CPU?

I think you're pretty normal maybe a bit high but try stressing it and see what you get

I've been running prime95 for about half an hour, the Tctl temp min is 59.4 and the max is 62.9 with an average of 61.6. How are those temps? I'm wondering if maybe I didn't use enough tim and should reapply it?

Back