• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Ryzen 1800x? Where to start and how to progress?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ebola0

Registered
I've got an 1800x on a Asus C6H using a Noctua NH-d15 cooler along with 32gb of G.Skill TridentZ 3200 cas 14. Got it up and running today to burn in the tim and I want to start overclocking it and testing it tomorrow but it's been a while since I overclocked a cpu and I'm not that familiar with how I should go about doing it. Can someone please help out with how I should be going about this? Ideally like which settings I should start changing and how to progress to finding the max stable oc for cpu and ram. I've updated the bios first to avoid the bios death when tinkering with ram.

32gig @3200might be hard.
Try 40 multi @ 1.35 and work the voltage up till stable . If 3200 ram isn't stable use 2933 for now

I'd probably start at stock and make sure your ram is stable first. Then as ||Console|| says, start at around 1.35v, with a moderate LLC setting, and see how high you can get the chip stable. Start at 4.0 GHz, which you should have a decent shot at with an 1800X. If it's not stable, start dropping down until it gets stable at 1.35v. At that point you can either "lock in" that setting, or you can try increasing voltage a little bit if you want to try pushing it. Most likely adding voltage over 1.35v will not gain you much, which is why I suggest starting there, but if you're only barely unstable at say 4.0 GHz you could consider bumping voltage up a little bit.

I would suggest updating to this BIOS http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...rosshair VI overclocking thread&txt=BIOS 0082 probably give you the best chance at running that ram at speed. Then as the other have said raise the multi and add voltage when necessary to stabilize it under load.

Looking in the bios I'm seeing BCLK Frequency, BCLK_Divider, Custom CPU Core Ratio with two subsettings for FID and DID, then Performance Bias, then Memory Frequency. But when I set Custom CPU Core Ratio to manual, the FID and DID boxes are grayed out and set to Auto. Which do I change to 40 and how do I change it? The bios is currently 0902, do I want to upgrade it or is it at the right version number already?

Like I said that new BIOS should make it easier to run the ram you purchased. When changing core ratio you do it under the option ">CPU Core Ratio" directly beneath custom. Just type in 40 hit enter.
CPU core voltage is lower and you'll need to set it to manual first then below that input the voltage amount you want 1.35-1.4v will likely be enough. Might need a bit more never know.

Back