• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking what can i expect

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so im wondering what speeds/performance and such that i can expect in terms of overclocking my cpu using this setup below is a list of my parts that will be used in my pc build

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 E0 Revision (Wolfdale-6M)
MEMORY: 2 gigs ddr2 800
CPU COOLER: corsair air series a70 link to info on the cpu cooler http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3568/corsair_air_series_a70_high_performance_cpu_cooler/index.html
motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L (rev. 1.0) http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-G31M-S2L-rev-10#ov

for those who ask the vrm's will be cooled with VRM's heatsinks as well as by having air blown over them via a fan need any more information ask away

im just curious as to what i can expect in terms of a decent overclock i do plan to push this cpu as high as it goes since all of the parts listed cost me under 50$ used most of it was free

4Ghz if you are lucky.. G31 chipset... not sure if you can overclock with it................cheap arse mobo... etc...

i have read on google as well as by watching various youtube videos that with the right cooling this is a pretty decent overclocking motherboard?

Doubtful... again.. g31 chipset.... budget.

If it can overclock, im sure it will some... but good at it or berter than other boards? No. 3 phase power... weak. You will need the heatsinks and active cooling you mentioned....

....but if youve seen vids and know... why are you asking?

I just wouldnt expect much honestly.. board isnt really made for it.

Last edited:
Did you add heatsinks to the VRM? I ask because there are none in the picture you linked to the Gigabyte website for that motherboard. Yes, as ED explained the weak power phase components of that board will limit you.

will be adding heatsinks when they arrive will not be overclocking till i add the heatsinks

Back